It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:59 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Should we use this layout or the old one?
Use the old one! 61%  61%  [ 40 ]
Use the new one! 39%  39%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 66
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ok, Ive figured why it is exactly I don't like this layout. I could tell I didn't like it but couldn't decide why. The problem, imo, is that with the avatars up on top instead of at the side, there is no "minimum vertical size" to each post.

As a result, you basically get people with one or two line posts, which are like joined to the post header with no gap. Then they have this huge ass multi-colored animated signature directly underneath it. The signatures or the header aren't separated from the posts at all and it pisses me off a lot now I've realised it. It makes the post "hard to find" between all the crap.

As a result it's really difficult to read the posts themselves unless they write something of a decent visible size. The old style didn't have this problem because of the "sidebar" with the avatar and location information etc, which would pad out the post in the cell next to it. I'll take some screenshots if it'll help illustrate but I dont have any screenshots of the old forum lol.

The other thing is the way each and every post feels detached from the site, because they're all stuffed in their own separate boxes. Not to mention the borders on the boxes look like they came out of Frontpage's default tables.

Oh and I absolutely hate how small and unreadable a lot of the buttons are now. It took me a long ass time to find the Post Reply and New Topic buttons in this new layout. What was wrong with having nice big round ones outside of the posts themselves? The little ass new ones all look the same and need to actually be read to make sure it's the button you're looking for.

Honestly the best part is probably the new menu at the top of the page, but it doesn't specify how many new PMs you have now which is a bad thing if you're constantly getting PMs all the time.

I personally think we should go back to the old style. I mean there was nothing wrong with it, lol. Why dont you go find a hack that lets people choose skins for the people who really hate it? Although honestly I think everyone either prefers the old skin, or doesn't really care enough to prefer either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:58 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im going to try and enable the option that allows users to select to use the new or old style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:09 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I miss the "professional" look to the site, more than anything else. The new one looks like it came out of Frontpage; the borders around the posts have a big impact on that.

Lets compare curtousy of Google's cache.

Old Site - Index

This is bright, clean, and easy on the eyes. The forum actually joins together as a single entity, but the big (yet smooth and clean) headers over each section help split it up.

The icons to the left of each section are large, smooth and professional looking, and the Orange color of the page on those icons stood out well when there were new posts in a section to read.

New Site - Index

Here we have a similar layout, but everything is split up. The sections look almost like separate forums. And my god, the Frontpage borders! The darker blue seems to strip the board of a lot of it's "clean" and "professional" feeling.

There also appears to be less vertical padding between each board in a section. Easier to spot on the Quest/Mission board. It looks jammed in there between Screenshots and Art. Speaking of it, the boards are also not quite as wide, reducing the space you have for text. And the background has turned from a pleasant blue, to a pretty bleh kind of gray.

The Icons for a post being read are well, I mean look at it, its a big square block with a black border around it. And the color for "New Posts" is dark and almost the same as the icon itself, making it kinda hard to distinguish.

Old Site - Thread

Here in one of our old threads (very old threads) we get a lot of that professional look again. The color scheme is clean, and the buttons are of a decent size and pleasing to the eyes, complete with icons to distinguish them.

Having the avatar on the left means that you don't have to look "through" the avatars to get to each post. Useless information like their tags, location and number of posts are kept out of the way unless you actually care for it. You can still tell who wrote something just by glacing to the left slightly to read the name or see the avatar.

You can see that the posts are "joined", or are they? There's a slightly faded border between each one if you look. It's not a lot but the whole thing doesn't look squished into separate boxes anymore. It just "flows" through the whole way.

New Site - Thread

Ugh, ugly ugly ugly. What's with the Frontpage borders? It looks like each post was shoved into it's own <table> tag. I don't understand why anyone would prefer the posts so split up like that.

The dark blue makes the tag and posts etc hard to read. And you're kinda forced to go past them to even get at people's posts. And jesus the buttons, they're so small you can't read what half of them say on that screenshot.

Is it just me or is the post body font maybe 1 or 2 points bigger? It looks wrong somehow. I might be imaginging it but if the font has gone up then I don't like that either. I don't particularly like big fonts for non-heading text, reminds me of little kids doing their essays in size 18 fonts to make it look like "more" instead of a size 10 font which looks much much more professional.

Speaking of large fonts why does everyone's name need to be so damn big anyhow. Not to mention the name seems to be "attached" to the right side of the avatar, no padding in there. It was much better with a dark font/light background, and above the avatar itself. In fact the whole top bar should be moved back onto the left!

Give me my forum back irl. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:48 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I found a button in Profile called "Board Style" that I set to CoolBlue but it didn't do anything, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:53 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

It should work now, Ill have to fix the logo later but it works kinda for now.

btw, youre a crybaby. The new look is much better. Still, its an opinion thing so I think the best option is to let people pick.

Edit: Fixed the logo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:01 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

No way, old style rocks. Although the background went a dark blue?

Thanks irl. ;p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:23 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I'm not in CKD so I realize my opinion means less than nothing about this but....... this new look gives me a headache.

No doubt that it looks cool, but it's barely readable after more than 2 minutes of staring at the screen.

edit: thanks for giving the option to use the old layout. My retinas thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:35 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I have to agree with ket about the whole point of buttons being too small. friday when I first saw the new layout I was like "oooohhhhhhh kayyyy... that's neato" and then I went to post and I was like franticalypanicking cause I coudln't find a "reply" button.

and he's also right about the part about the posts being detached from each other. it makes each post appear to be a different thread of it's own and has no correlation to the previous one(even if it doesn't due to thread derailing). and the part about how a person could have 1 line of text and about a 5 inch high signature in every color possible, you wont be able to see the post at all, and this isn't like miewn's(I think that's who) sig where you cant help but stare at it. one big reason I dont even look at FS forums(I dont know people there that well nor ever had a reason to post) is that I could be scrolling through the thread at hyper speed-reading and flash over a post and then put the brakes on full reverse and go "wait, that was a post... um... where's the text/!?!?" because a large amount of the people there seem to have signatures that take up 2 pages in itself(no offense to people, their choice)

edit: in response to ket's comment on the huge names now. it honestly doesn't bother me much about what size the font is(yes, the layout of where it is could be a hassle) but do you ever really read a person-you-know's name? when you have been around them long enough you can just recognize them by their avatar and/or signature(main reason changing avatars and/or signatures alot could be troublesome to the memory)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:46 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

fuck it, i changed it back to the original, i like it hella better, sep for this whole blue background, the light blue you had before was mucho better,

but w/e do what you want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:48 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

lol you assclowns suck. I like the new forums better.

1) Its easier to follow who is saying what. The old forum the best way to tell who posted what was to glance at the avatar. I remember switching to mikey's avatar once and everyone getting so confused.

2) Im the admin, you guys can rot in hell.

Oh and Rank pictures have been updated. People with anything above 2000 should get a new spammer icon, well they should once i upload it.

VIP and CKD Members have new icons. I have one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:20 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

how about an alumni icon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:38 pm 
Eater of cow souls

hmm the site looks better with old layout but this bluer background/new banner. the banner is fucking great lol, props to ket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:44 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I agree with Rune. Ilma's banner was so much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:21 am 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

Yarr wrote:
Oh and Rank pictures have been updated. People with anything above 2000 should get a new spammer icon, well they should once i upload it.

wheres my vip? :neutral: oh well, w/e everyone knows im important to these boards anyway, i dont need a sticker to prove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:39 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

ike wrote:
Yarr wrote:

wheres my vip? :neutral: oh well, w/e everyone knows im important to these boards anyway, i dont need a sticker to prove it.

lol

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:43 am 
Even Match
Even Match

old PRZ!

BLMAF2:3/5
RDMAF2:2/5
BSTAF2:5/5(lies!hi2ublacksage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:48 am 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

lol i was kidding bout the sticker thing btw, so dont get upset. haha but um you know who has a cool looking forum? these sons of bitches right here, its not "professional" but its definatley different

just add a little color to the buttons and it would be perfect, maybe change the background as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:45 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

o.O looks good. I do agree with a lot of ppl thinking the Avatars and such should still be on the side though. Other than that...nice work.

edit: oh...make it so you can click on the banner to return to the front page again lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:22 am 
Spammer, to the max!

i fear change irl, colors are too bright blue, avatar on top of post sucks yeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:02 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I like the new logo, but hate everything else.
seems to take longer to load for me

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI