It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:35 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

original brag thread
http://yarrthepirate.com/v-web/bulletin ... .php?t=665

I think my favorite fight would have been the first Fafnir Kill made by CKD.

I was tipped off by Zadan and Fabian that Fafnir had popped and that no Japanese players were around. It was about 11 or 12 at night and I had to get up the next day at 5AM to go the train station with princess for our first trip to Montreal.
At first I was just going to tell everyone and head to bed, but I figured hey why not take a look at Fafnir. It was after I saw fafnir that I realized I would be sleeping on the train the next day and not that night.

We had pretty much every active CKD player there(Excluding Talisin and Mikey. Mikey was sleeping and Talisin was still only level 60ish). I have screen shots and Im bored so Ill list everyone who was in our alliance. This alliance to me was the grandfathers of CKD. Of course I would add Mikey, Whisp, Thunderstomp and Talisin to that list.

The first party consisted of Dragonb, Vurin, Triddy (68), Kailyn and Shadowstalker. The second group had Ilma, Eviltaru, Tooyooo, Rubyxiii, Aiame and Gilzz. The last group consisted of Yummy, Koda, Itto, Kayne, Reinheld and myself. Of all those people I think Myself, Ilma, Ruby, Kayne, Reinheld, Dragonb, Vurin, Peejo and Kailyn were the only level 75s (I actually think I was 74) in CKD and probably on the sever (for NAs).

Kayne, Ilma, Hcc and Myself had only seen maybe one or two fafnir fights before. At this point no one even really knew how timers worked (we thought it was 3 hours before the 24 hour mark. We had no idea what a window was) and pretty much everything about Fafnir was new and unknown. We only knew where to stand because of how we saw it fought once before. The details on how Fafnir's abilities worked were all based on speculation and very limited visual observations. We wernt even 100% sure where to stand and how bad it was if we didnt. I mean we only had experiance from having fafnir pop on our 15 man alliance where everyone was afk lol. Seriously, all but 5 of us were afk, I was mad for 30 seconds and then realized it was far too funny to not laugh at.

On top of this no one had any really great armor or weapons. We had some god abjurations, but the only person who had anything "rare" was myself and that was the WHM AF2 (kayne had AF2 legs). I had only equiped it a day or two before. Dont forget that I got my AF2 almost a half year before the next NA player would get one. I got lucky. Most of us were in AF1 or crafted gear from tha AH. We had a bunch of God gear, but at this point we didnt have much. Im not sure we had even killed Kirin more than once at this point. We were all new, poor and unexperience. We really should have died within the first hour.

The battle lasted an insane 4-5 hours. Like vurin said in the original thread. The first two hours were spent figuring out how to kill him and the last two were actually fighting him.
What made it really hard was that Peejo died probably 4-5 times and she was our only tank. We had Triddy of course. However at this point he was only level 68-69 and he had yet to fight even the most basic Sky Gods(or even pop NMs). At some points we had no body tanking. Koda and Aiame did a great job (Koda is and always will be the best theif to have ever played on Ifrit), I seem to recall them having to jump in a few times while peejo was Raise Sick. This is WAY WAY WAY back before people thought to tank ANYTHING with a Ninja.

The fight was insane. I had so much fun. I was so excited and nervous that I was shaking during some of the really exciting parts. We had so much riding on this fight.

There was also the pressure added by the large audience of Japanese players. Remember, we finished fighting at like 4AM EST. It didnt take long before the big Japanese HNM linkshells were there. KFC was there just after we started fighting. They mocked and teased us the whole time. They probably tried to MPK us, but at the time we wouldnt have even had any idea how they could do that. So I cant remember if they did. I do remember how much they hated the idea of NAs killing their Fafnir. This is where I first met Ganamena and the CKD vs KFC drama started.

It was exciting for me especially. I was the leader of not only a new NA HNMLS, but the very first NA HNMLS. Back then the tension between NA and JPN was really high. They felt we were stealing from them when we were at HNM camps. So I really (and everyone there did too) felt like it was time we showed those stupid self centred Japanese players that we were just as good at this game, if not better.

I hated seeing so many NA Players bending over and kissing all the japanese players asses because they felt like they had too.

We a great job. I was so proud of everyone I couldnt get the smile off my face for a week. I think I spent 6 hours telling Princess about it the next day on the train (I never did go to sleep). Kayne got the first piece of his black belt. The first NA black belt mind you. A belt that would take almost another full year to complete.

For me, this was much more than just our first Fafnir Kill. This was the birth of CKD. This was the moment that we went from "that group of NA's trying to form a HNMLS" to The Cobra Kai Dojo.

All the pictures can be seen here http://yarrthepirate.com/FFXI/Fafnir/

Here are my favorite (check out the armor, HP and MP of all of us lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:15 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

awezome. i wish i had been there. i wonder what i was up to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:17 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ohh july 26th... yea.. i was moving that day from atlanta to houston. and ts was moving back in with his parents irl. not only that but i had quit ckd because of kailyn a few weeks before. didn't rejoin til october (when kailyn quit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:41 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

The fact that you even had to have some time to practice on faffy a bit would be unheard of now so I bet that experience alone was fun as hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:23 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

fafnir/nidhogg seemed so hard at first. he'd hit tanks for like 600ish every hit. hard to keep up with cures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:58 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Supafly wrote:
The fact that you even had to have some time to practice on faffy a bit would be unheard of now so I bet that experience alone was fun as hell.

yeah.

I challenge any linkshell to try and beat fafnir in only AF1 lol. That would probably be fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:23 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

Yea, that was fun times. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:11 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I never fought a land god, or a wyrm, or kirin or any of that fancy-do-da stuff. But I would have to say the most fun battle I ever had was when I went to help an LS mate get his joyeuse. It was just me and him camping against 2 groups of about 8 or 9 people. we lost claim oviously. The first group wiped pretty fast. The second group went for it. They got it to about 50% when they wiped. Then me and my friend got it and duoed it from 50% to dead infront of tons of dead people. Of course they refused to show impress since we got it at 50%, but I felt great duoing what alliances could not do.

I knew chary's basic equations is more people = faster death, but it still felt great. After that we got 3 more joy-toys for LS members that week. duoing and sometimes trioing from 100%-dead.

BRD and THF makes for an awsome pt, I've duoed tyranic turok or w/e with a THF, and tons of other sutff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:15 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ffxi bard is the best job of any ff game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:21 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Whisp wrote:
ffxi bard is the best job of any ff game

You speak the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:29 pm 
Vanadiel Animal Rights Activist

Too bad bard's a panzy in ffiv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:29 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

but in ff4 advance, bard is the strongest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:10 am 

No Cidd is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:32 am 
DL Hughley

cecil will fuck you til you love him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:02 pm 

Cecil does kick butt with Lightbringer. But sometimes you need to unequip it if a mob has reflect or absorbs light cuz of the additional effect: holy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:59 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

I would relive this battle. They fought for hours, losing many clothes in the process, but eventually led to a loving end.

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI