It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post subject: Number crunching and FFXI
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:30 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

How many people here are/were guilty of this?

Using maths and statistical analysis along with parsers and stuff to figure out exactly which piece of gear is good for x, y, z .

If you ever read forums about ffxi, and by you reading this I assume you do lol, no doubt youve seen the pages upon pages of people arguing over acc%, str/att ratio, pDIF, fSTR, uHOR and all sorts of wtf shit.

Does this not make the game seem less of a game to you by doing this? I don't mean like grabbing a bard to sing etudes on you while you do a WS on a TW rabbit to find out what mods it has, but proper hardcore number crunching and stuff.

The only person on Ifrit I knew who did that was Kaylia, anyone else want to shed some light on why?

Oh and it's not like I hate maths or anything, but it was one of the things I played ff to escape from, not do even more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:39 pm 
DL Hughley

I hate the maths. They make those mathy equations to make it seem like war and monk are more than /a /doze /jerkoff /ws /repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:05 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I used a parser to determine which foods and gears were the best for me. For the most part, I think it helps me develop perfected TP and WS macros. I liked doing it, it made me feel like a good player.

As far as determining the smallest equations and what not for perfected parses, fuck that lol. Usually someone else has already done the leg work and a little research onto the topic is enough to know the answer.

Oh and if you want someone who did some amazing number crunching that I still, to this day, do not understand, talk to Zargon. He QUIT THE GAME FOR MORE THAN A MONTH and would randomly send me PM's on the other forum with number crunching for the next ballista royale on things like item usage, survival rates using defense, and what not. We are talking huge ass replies out of the blue. I love the guy though, but I just had to laugh at his genius at work on a game he didn't want to play anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:19 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

I just liked to Cure things. Don't have to think much, no sir, just do the /ma "Cure III" <t> lots and that's what I did mister. Don't like none o' them maths, I just like the pretty shiny clothes yes sir I did. Didn't think much o' them sciences when it come down to it, no siree, I just cure the things with my spells, yes sir yessir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:07 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Most of CKD did number crunching to try and figure out what gear was best for what situation. Kaylia, Ilma and Hcc did this the most.

Personally I never really saw the point of it. Its a little overkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

I liked trying to have my complete outfit match, but its not so easy on melee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:38 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

hell no

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI