It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post subject: How did you meet your best friends?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:37 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ok so most people probably met their close friends through guilds and what not, but sometimes theres a funny story behind how we met our friends.

Here are some of my examples (ill add more later)

Whisp
I was actually just randomly invited into whisps group. Not even sure who invited me. The party went very well though and we liked having two whm in the party. The next day around the same time I partied with whisp previously I got a tell. It was whisp asking if I wanted to meet up with the same people to xp.
As time went on we slowly started to realize that all five of us played at the same times (well actually we just all played way too much). Eventually we started to plan out when to xp. It was at this point we started to realize the benifit of having a "perma" group. At this point in history there were pretty much no other perma groups. I think Murph might have had his, but kayne ilma and the rest of the first gen NA's just did pick up groups.

Thunderstomp
I met him as Whisps scary quiet friend. We would xp for hours and Thunderstomp wouldnt say a word unless he was telly Scyth to calm down. His most common phrase was ... lol.

Mikey
Our perma group had decided that since things were going so well together we would help eachother find all the items needed for LB1. When we got to the Lich part we met Mikey. We all pretty much just felt sorry for him lol.
Back in the early days people would just make groups specifically to get papers (because there was a huge amount of people who needed them). Mikey was lucky enough to always join groups but never win the lot for a paper lololol. When we came along he had been down in there for i think almost a week. All of us managed to get a paper before mikey (or most of us) so we decided as a group to help Mikey get his paper. I think we did, I remember specifically not caring LOL. Everyone in the group felt bad for him but I really didnt care haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

I met Supafly waaaaay back when we were still like lvl 5 or so.

It was me, Supafly, Dankaru, and...some other taru...lol...

Basically we had like 4 or 5 tarus together and we all partied from lvl 5 all the way up into the teens or so...and we all just kinda became friends.

Madisonlee....I am trying really hard to remember how we met...I KNOW it was early on (before level 25 or so) But wasnt it like...trying to get a BCNM party together or something???

Anyone I knew from CKD I met from stalking you guyz....cept yarr, met him on the old IGN forums, but met first time in-game camping Hoo Mjuu, and the first "friendly" experience with yarr was when he helped me get my AF weapon for RDM first time through...he died like 3 times in the process, lolz

Honestly I've already started forgetting how I met people in FFXI, I don't realize how long ago it was that I started playing until I really try to think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:55 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

I met a bunch of my friends because I was showing my friend it wasn't hard to get girls on your flist (they all added me). I kept talking to them though, and most of them turned out to be decent people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:27 pm 
". . ."
". . ."

Whisp - We were roommates at the time that we started playing FFXI. Me, Whisp, and Whisp's IRL brother Chris all shared a place outside of Atlanta. I first met Whisp IRL when I was about 13. I was better friend's with his brother Chris at that time, but now I consider them both good friends. We both logged on for the first time at NA release. Our computers were like right next to each other lol.

Yarr - I guess Yarr joined us around lvl 35-40ish. I believe Whisp, Shiloh and myself were already semi-perma'd, and we invited Yarr to exp. We thought two WHMs sounded like a fine idea, there were no guides on the internet to get advice on party formation, so we had to blaze our own trail. I remember Yarr and Whisp would switch off healing every other battle. We actually made it work nicely lol. It was easy to distinguish the good players from the bad players back then, because during the months that followed NA release, we all pretty much knew each other. I think Whisp was probably the better WHM because he had such a huge MP pool and was maybe a little faster at the cures (lol - Yarr used to think we were going to kick him out eventually, he was insecure about his elvaan mp). One thing about Yarr is that he never really got upset at anything, never panicked when things went bad, and always knew how to handle everyone's personality. We didn't really have a perma-group leader, it was kind of like a round-table where everyone had his say, but I was not surprised to learn after quitting for the first time that Yarr became leader of the most respected LS in Ifrit history.

Shiloh - Shiloh was pretty quiet in game (I guess I was too, but I was constantly cracking jokes with Whisp irl - we played in the same room), and Shiloh was also very polite. Whenever Shiloh got upset, watch out because it was a rare occasion lol. Sometime around lvl 35-40, me and Whisp exp'd with Shiloh and agreed that he was a much better tank than a lot of other paladins we'd played with. We also liked his personality, he was a genuine kind of guy.

Mikey - Like Yarr said, we all got to know Mikey during the late 40s when everyone wanted a papyrus. Mikey had been down in eldieme for weeks, and always got outbid on the paper. eventualy Nippler (our BLM at the time) started to not show up for exp sessions, so we sent a tell to Mikey and he showed up and the rest is history. Mikey was always comic relief for our group. Like if we had been grinding for a few hours, and things were getting a little too routine, Mikey would run up to the monster, whip out his little dagger, and start meleeing along with me, scyth, and Shiloh. Mikey also took the brunt of many of our jokes lol. He was also super helpful and never wanted anything in return other than our friendship.

It's funny that when all the drama about cheating and hacking exploded on FFXI and ripped CKD apart, everyone in our old perma was against it. Those kind of people are the kind of people I look for IRL, and I guess in-game was no different to any of us. That period of 3-4 months where we were exping and doing quests and just hanging out was without a doubt the funnest time I had in FFXI. I'd like to hang out with each of these guys irl some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:02 pm 
DL Hughley

I was acquainted with Lungcancer irl, so I knew him when I started. Got me my subjob magicked skull and helped me with the yagudo key for kazham airship. Told me about crafting and taking time to get stuff done and basically set my idea of the game, I've always tried to do as much on my own as I could. Told me I should tell pirotess I hate yarr and tell yarr I hate pirotess and ask how to join those shells just for shits and giggles. lol

Met Kalade when I was partying my whm14 with his pld14 in Valkurm dunes. Actually had 2 parties with him in the dunes that day. That was May or June '04. We had many dangerous and sometimes catastrophic adventures, lol. He put together an alliance just to get me an LB1 paper after I lost all kinds of progress when I almost had to quit in '04, alliance also included storch and xiona. We played our first dynamis together and he later got me into Dynamis with the DoomChickens LS, I tried to get him to join Valour but he wasn't into it. We were terrible pricks and very good friends. The best of the friends I made.

Met Centhea leveling my blm with her rdm in yuhtunga jungle, along with Kalade. Probably June '04. Ended up befriending her whole family. Had many parties between 26-52. Centhea mentioned every now and then how she could befriend the most horrific assholes on the server. lol

Met Katariana in very early '05 or very late '04 partying my dragoon with her whm in yhoator jungle, along with cybertronic (can't remember his exact name) a ckd blm. We needed a replacement whm so I did a search and found one, asked the party and someone goes "eew rank 2" so I search again and find Kata and mention her, cyber tells her to join and I say to the anti-rank 2 person "k we have a rank 10 otw, don't fuck up" Later played together in the blm squad of doomchickens dynamis and Valour. Bigdawg and I pushed for a trial on her app@late '05.

Met Lucyy while randomly standing around whitegate and she started asking me about besieged and other stuff. She was Lv30 ninja from xbox360 beta and I helped her along as she leveled in what ways I could, whether in advice or actual assistance with crap. She hit 75 fast and did so much work on her own and last I knew she's in a succesful sky ls, she got the second byakko haidate the ls ever got not long after she hit 75.

Met Lyberty in a 50s exp pt with my rdm and her pld, she leveled to 58 but didn't have her af legs so I offered to help get her a key after the party and made friends. I helped her bf Minimugi with some of his samurai af as well. They're both 75 now.

I talk to some of them regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

In Order of Apperance:

First Friend Ever was Mizuko,Met in West Sarutabaruta, we were both noobs and she was my first pt member ever.

Next was Xenoes, We met at the dunes in a lvl 9-11 party.

Almonzo/Machiaveli These are my current and closest FF friends I met almonzo in qufim island along with darkalucard and some others......Xandur/Yoshi/Omniverse/Malkav/Slyphin/Gitaruru/Gitarooman/Renzokuken were all friends from ADT, a large number of these people are still very close to me and i keep in contact with all except omniverse...his forums went down/changed addy and i lost contact.

Cant forget Zincypoo and Triad,Zincypoo idk where i met, and Triad server switched when the new servers first opened sometime ago.

BLMAF2:3/5
RDMAF2:2/5
BSTAF2:5/5(lies!hi2ublacksage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:22 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

sefier, do you remember me from ADT? that was altanas divine tears right? the green one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

not only was our perma the high point of ffxi for me.. it was probably the high point of life! lol!

j/k. maybe. ok im serious.

anyway, shiloh didnt join our perma til after yarr was there. i remember because we kept trying out different paladins, and one day we partied with johnpaul. yarr ended up kicking him out, and we immediately picked up shiloh (TS suggested him), and the rest is history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:55 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

yes ike...i helped you get your freaking citadel af a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago lol ;_; me and that helpful whm galka...YBCU? or some shit liek that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:12 am 
Even Match
Even Match

most of my irl friends i got to play this game.. sanriku, proteus, kyodai, imaulle, so on so forth.. so that kind of narrows down alot.

but as for people i met ingame..

ninjakid, i was like level 13 in the dunes and there was this massive train.. that i caused of course.. and everyone in my group died except me.. i saw him sitting in selbina.. and with the very little japanese i knew i asked him if he could raise my entire party.. and he did, he was a really nice dude, he helped me with my ninja subjob.. and all sorts of stuff throughout the 3 years of playing that game..

riiari, met him.. well, i forgot where.. but he was awsome.. still is..

twotal, that crazy son of a bitch.. i met him back in.. last fantasy i think it was.. when azreall still played.. he was like my other half in the game.. probably my best ingame friend.. dont feel like writing a story

azreall, this fag.. i remember getting him his kazam keys back when he was a broke ass low level blm.. not like he was much richer when he got higher level.. but ya.. when i finally got back from the middle east.. the tables turned and he lead the LS that i joined up.. before that he was in mine lol

FFXI - Yurichan: 75THF(Ret) / SC2 - Lawncare / XBOX - Zombie Sharks / PS3 - Zombie_Sharks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 am 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

Sefier wrote:
yes ike...i helped you get your freaking citadel af a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago lol ;_; me and that helpful whm galka...YBCU? or some shit liek that

hurray!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:37 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Here's my best ones.

Athel: Met her when I was a level 25 WAR shouting for Kazaam keys in Bastok. I didn't have any high level friends and didn't have a linkshell at the time. She not only helped me get my key, she got me into her linkshell. We talked almost every day (in game) from that point till I quit recently. Also talked on the phone, exchanged email, etc etc. Still randomly stay in touch today. She is my longest term FFXI friend that stuck around.

Conker: Met him when I was in my late 30s or early 40s (can't remember lol) as PLD. We had one good party and decided to form a perma. The way our perma worked is a long ass story. We changed out members often but Conker was always there. We always helped each other with everything and we got along 100% of the time. We never attacked each other over anything. He always put me in a good mood when I talked to him. We stay in touch today via random cell phone text messages. I do plan to meet him irl someday.

Trizin: Met him through somebody in KFC/Exilium...but from the start we got along really well. I always really enjoyed playing FFXI with him...because for some reason he could make me laugh irl almost non-stop. He was a funny dude. He joined our perma and became close with Athel, Conker, and myself. The 4 of us did a lot together besides exp also. My most memorable FFXI moments were spent with those 3. Trizin and I talk on and off via PM on here or Myspace. That's it really. If I'm ever on his side of the world, I would meet him irl fo sho.

Example of my good memories http://yarrthepirate.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4212&highlight=
Not a big deal anymore...but then it was huge for us lol. One of my most epic bc fights ever! t2t Fenrir with all of us having crap gear.

Last edited by Kluya on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:42 am 
Even Match
Even Match

yuri....hows proteus now? havnt seen that crazy mnk in about a year :3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:58 am 
Even Match
Even Match

he lives in germany now, went back into the army fulltime.. from what i heard last is that they sent his unit out somewhere about 8 months back or so.. so hes probably still got a few months left over there.. but i havent talked to him in a long long time either

FFXI - Yurichan: 75THF(Ret) / SC2 - Lawncare / XBOX - Zombie Sharks / PS3 - Zombie_Sharks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:24 am 
Tough!
Tough!

Location: {Hand} {Down} {Trousers} {Jerkin} {I'm Playing Solo Right Now}
Parade wrote:
sefier, do you remember me from ADT? that was altanas divine tears right? the green one

ADT Eco ftl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

reading ThunderStomp and Whisp's post make me wish we could play FFXI again as newbies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:16 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i haven't thrown away my ffxi box lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:41 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Whisp wrote:
i haven't thrown away my ffxi box lol

me either lol. i keep it for memories I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:48 am 
". . ."
". . ."

sorry guys 0% chance of me coming back lol. although I still have my box also...damnit.

%0.0001

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:05 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

burn the box TS lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Almost everyone I know irl that played FFXI still has their box. Matt got banned and still has the fucking HD box for his PS2 in his room lol. Aalan keeps everything because he is a packrat, so I know he still has his. Nick and Greg probably tossed theirs, but they didn't get past level 40 haha.

Sirfalas - met him while I was leveling BRD and he was our THF in our perma once Bazzman left. I think this was Boyhada Tree. Might have talked to him before that in Hokuten. After leveling with his THF some, I eventually leveled with his NIN to 75.

Necrosis - met him around level 30 WHM in Yhoator Jungle before I had even unlocked BRD. Was our perma tank from there to level 60ish. Nikari was our RDM and we met her around the same time.

Bazzman - met him in theEchelon of course doing EcoWarrior lol... same with Omni and all those other ImmortalsRequiem members pretty much.

Aalan - I know him irl and started FFXI with him and someone named Untamed who quit in like 2 weeks. He basically does not play MMOs anymore.

Krellis - knew him irl from classes. Me and Aalan basically talked him into playing FFXI. I haven't talked to him in a while.

Eviltree - met him in Tahrongi on his original Elvaan MNK toon, we were leveling off of Dhamels yay! Then we went to the maze and he had restarted as a tarutaru BLM. Him and Rakshal were quite proficient at training mobs like scorps and such from the deeper parts of the maze to the entrance and killing all the xp parties there.

Droutout - met Drout on one of my several failed PLD tanking party Fenrir attempts.

Evilelf/taru and Zoth - haha we fucked up avatars so many times together with Kyilen.

I can remember many other instances such as when Mikey helped us get ZM4 done and I got my Hokuten pearl from Diablomo etc. Meeting Mikekirby, Hitmanr, Kima, Dalek, Zakath and many others in Onzozo in Toramas parties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:19 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

i have every FF box lined up on a shelf in my room. it looks really nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:01 pm 
DL Hughley

I don't have the hdd box but I have the little disc cases for ffxi/zilart, cop, and toau.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:33 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

ugh... if I post I'm gonna probably talk myself into coming back and playing again >.>

a lot of my most loyal friends still play

Retired- FF11 / WoW / Rift / SWTOR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:27 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Yurichan wrote:
riiari, met him.. well, i forgot where.. but he was awsome.. still is..

Took me a minute to think about this one. But.. it was Hokuten. You knew Takuun, who (despite what Ramsos will say about him) was one of my best friends in game. Takuun made friends with Pirotess after he recreated as Harle. Takuun joined Hokuten and took me with. Then Yuri was the big rebel who decided to make his own shell, and took Takuun, Merlanda, and I along for the ride. Then we camped lots of shit NMs, like Simurgh and stuff. Then along came Imaulle who was basically the only Virtue player with any endgame experience whatsoever. He tried to make us feel better about wiping to Byakko and junk like that. Haha. Then, in June or July of last year, Virtue merged with SPQR as an attempt to bring the Virtue players to CoP events such as sea and limbus. All but two of the Virtue players left the shell (or we're booted, lol) and that's when i started to get to better know all of the SPQR players. I already knew Kymahri pretty well, and got to know basically everyone who is in the shell today.

Heh. Wasn't even going to make a long reply, but one thing lead to another #-o

Guess it all started back in 2004 when Merlanda got me to come from The Sims Online to FFXI. Epic :roll:

FFXI Blog
ImageImageImage

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI