It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post subject: FFXI > FFXIV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 am 
"Kaiser or Bust!"

Just dropping bye to say hello. I see a lot of people have moved onto XIV but if anyone decides to log onto XI or reactivate, drop me a line.

Yarr, I don't see the 25 pics/per day thread yet!

Post subject: Re: FFXI > FFXIV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

XIV may be horribad but if 1.18 is a decent as it sounds, it gives me a bit more hope on XIV's future potential. The problem with XI for me is not that it isn't good, cuz I hear its awesome (aside from the whole being able to get max lvl incredibly fast thing I've read about with abbysea or something? dunno) it's that it's old. The same reason I resubbed to WoW, thought "wow this is such a great game and alot of fun" but then unsubbed 2 weeks later and went back to XIV. I just don't like playing games that don't have much life left, for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:30 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Madisonli wrote:
XIV may be horribad but if 1.18 is a decent as it sounds, it gives me a bit more hope on XIV's future potential. The problem with XI for me is not that it isn't good, cuz I hear its awesome (aside from the whole being able to get max lvl incredibly fast thing I've read about with abbysea or something? dunno) it's that it's old. The same reason I resubbed to WoW, thought "wow this is such a great game and alot of fun" but then unsubbed 2 weeks later and went back to XIV. I just don't like playing games that don't have much life left, for some reason.

To be fair, I bet WoW has more life left in it than FFXIV does. Look at the players to your left, now look at the players to your right. Some of them will be playing FF14 in a year. Just some, tho.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ffxi feels like it has more life left than ffxiv, sadly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 am 
"Kaiser or Bust!"

Thanks to Tomake and Whisp for logging on and saying hi :)

@Madisonli, when was the last time you logged onto XI? It seems like XI has a ton of life left. I use to think a couple years ago that SE was going to announce that the servers were shutting down any day now, especially with XIV looming. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Abyssea has injected adrenaline into the game. There's so much to do.

One of my grips a couple years ago would be waiting in my Mog House, watching my moogle spin, waiting for enough people to log on and do something. With abyssea, you can do things with as little as 2 people and things with as much as 18. And I don't mean little things with 2 ppl, I mean some of the major things, major items.

You can even get a lot accomplished with pick up groups. Not ideal but definitely possible. It's just made the game fun again. I will say this though, if you've been gone a while, it could be hard to get back into the swing of things. It'll be overwhelming at first because there's so much new stuff/game mechanics/knowledge to take in.

The title of this thread wasn't meant to be literal btw. I've never even played XIV. I just heard a lot of people moved onto it and I was just coming here to poke fun/say hi to all the old faces.

tl;dr - FFXI is fun again. Title of thread isn't literal. Hello to you all!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

@Valisk See the part where I said "Not that it isn't good, cuz I hear it's awesome." The same thing would probably happen to me in XI as did in WoW. I will play for a few weeks, think "man this has gotten so fleshed out and awesome and fun" and then I'd quit.

It's a personal issue of mine, I just don't feel comfortable starting up fresh in a game that is 10 years old. It would be different if I had been playing it constantly for the 10 years, but starting fresh in such an old game just feels misplaced to me. Sort of like yeah SE made the game awesome but, its a little too late? heh should be their motto. . .with how XIV is going. . .

Edit: This from Ket in a different thread sums up how I feel about XI

"I don't see how "going back again" will be any different from when I tried a year ago. As far as I'm concerned my FFXI glory days have passed and I'm better off leaving it as fond memories."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:54 pm 
"Kaiser or Bust!"

Makes sense. As with many games, it sucks without friends. I probably wouldn't be playing as much as I do now if I didn't come back and see some familiar faces that welcomed me with open arms. Sadly, Kayne is the only person from CKD that still plays regularly. But yea, Ket has a point about the glory days and fond memories. Sure would have been nice to play with some of the old crew again though. Yarr needs to post screenshots!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Vanadiel has me all up in its biznass again...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

In one afternoon, you can go from level 20 to level 40 just by going to Gusgen mines and hopping on the alliance that is perpetually there. People come and go. The mobs only give like 20 exp, but for every 6 skeletons you kill you get a huge bonus chunk of exp that grows over time. It starts out you get 600 exp, but after an hour, every 6 skeles gives u like 1200 exp. It caps at 1400 I heard. So every 3 minutes you get 1400+ exp. It equates to 30k/hr. And you dont have to worry much about what level you are, since there's level sync.

Anyways, leveling like this, 20 levels in a night, is kinda common, all the way up to 90. After Gusgen I think people go to Crawlers Nest and jump on that alliance, then its Bostineau Oubliette from like 55 to 75, then you do Abyssea where the bonus pages give you like 5000 exp. It all goes by really fast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:46 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Seems like a grind machine though, so not THAT much has changed ;) However, it does sound fun nonetheless. Hey Val!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
In one afternoon, you can go from level 20 to level 40 just by going to Gusgen mines and hopping on the alliance that is perpetually there. People come and go. The mobs only give like 20 exp, but for every 6 skeletons you kill you get a huge bonus chunk of exp that grows over time. It starts out you get 600 exp, but after an hour, every 6 skeles gives u like 1200 exp. It caps at 1400 I heard. So every 3 minutes you get 1400+ exp. It equates to 30k/hr. And you dont have to worry much about what level you are, since there's level sync.

Anyways, leveling like this, 20 levels in a night, is kinda common, all the way up to 90. After Gusgen I think people go to Crawlers Nest and jump on that alliance, then its Bostineau Oubliette from like 55 to 75, then you do Abyssea where the bonus pages give you like 5000 exp. It all goes by really fast.

wow that sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It's honestly not that bad grinding up, you just have to make an effort to get your skill levels up. It's really great for levelling support jobs. I think everyone basically goes from 30-75 in Crawler's Nest doing the same thing, but with crawlers and bees. I haven't gone past 49 yet, but I think that would drive me nuts. Our small group has been trying to level up the old fashioned way in 6 man parties, but it's really hard to find 2 others who aren't completely retarded because of the new levelling system, or people who even have access to Kazham or Whitegate or anything like that these days.

It's could also just be Cerberus - seriously, fuck that place.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:27 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I went from 77.0 to 82 in 2 hours last night and got Refresh II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol, crazy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Have they made all the spells so you can buy them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:54 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Spells were always purchased? Besides the ones you have to quest.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:48 pm 
"Kaiser or Bust!"

Dmitry wrote:
Spells were always purchased? Besides the ones you have to quest.

Gal might be referring to buying them from a NPC instead of AH. There were/are a few spells that only drop from NMs/BCNMs. But they do allow it to drop from multiple NMs/BCNMs to prevent too much bottleneck.

For example Quake dropped from 4 different NMs and 9 different BCNM/ISNMs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

as fun as ff11 is, its way too addicting. i deactivated and will just try to play ff14 when i wanna play a game. i played a bit of 14 last night and was glad to see ckd'ers. it was fun :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:36 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

There's been rumors floating around that there will be a PSP Vita version of FFXI coming out. I think that's a neat idea and hope its not japan onry.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that you basically don't progress through the game like you used to. All the different and familiar stages of camps was so charming to me and oddly enough one of my better memories of the game. Guess it'll have to just stay that way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I agree, Kio. Even when I came back a few times, I was sad that the preferred zones changed. I know it's inevitably, but the fact that no one went to the boyahda tree anymore made me real sad.

Never felt the same when I came back to colibiri, got banned, and came back again to leve-link qufim parties.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

boyahda tree still has tons of people, for skillup. when you level sync your way to 90 and your sword skill is like 40, you gotsta skirrup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 am 
Tough!
Tough!

No WHisp!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:53 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

I reactivated, then saw I had only rare/ex stuff left. Was motivated to play, but not sure now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:01 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's all you need. People level up naked or in their AF. And once you start upgrading Empyrean Armor from Abyssea, it's all rare/ex too.

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

I don't want to put that much work into it.

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI