It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post subject: New Exapnsion: Seekers of Adoulin, was announced
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:46 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

You heard right. This was actually announced a few days ago, but to celebrate the game's 10th anniversary, SE have announced FFXI is finally getting another expansion. Complete with an entirely new region, cities, monsters, and new jobs. One of the jobs is confirmed to be Geomancer.

Note: This trailer is pretty badly put together, but I reckon by now they're running FFXI with a skeleton team of like 5 guys or something.

Most of us have all moved on from FFXI, but I'm sure some of you like me are interested to hear about it every now and again.

Post subject: Re: New Exapnsion: Seekers of Adoulin, was announced
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:19 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Thanks for the post Ket. I'll be back to playing in the winter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:35 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Sorry but this looks like the dunes, yhaotor jungle, and bastok.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:30 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

when i saw the unfinished renders people ripped from the rom9 folder, I was impressed. But seeing them actually complete running through- yeah you're right they do look a lot like the existing zones.

Still cool though to have an expansion, new areas are always fun to explore even if they look similar from the next *couhgffxiv1.0cough*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think they're doing what they can based on limited resources. They've made like 3 versions of some main maps now, and they make new maps using existing skins to save on resources and such. It was very noticable when I went back to play again a year, or two ago.

I don't think I'll be going back to this game ever again, but I hope the expansion is a success.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Those look like pre-existing zones to me.

My favorite FFXI expansion was ToAU - because it added so many cool-looking new zones, enemies, jobs, etc. It really refreshed FFXI, and revived the exciting feeling I had playing FFXI for the first time.

I have to say, FFXIV has never come close to giving me the same excitement and fun that FFXI did. I doubt I will ever feel that way about another game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I totally agree, Kluya.

I think it was a combination of being young and not knowing better when it came to grinding, plus the fact that there was just tons of stuff to do in that game, simply because you had to grind everything out, and it took forever. But either way, it felt like there was tons to do. And there were tons of people out there doing it.

AF2, Relic Weapons, Sky/Promy, Kings, Leveling other jobs, Crafting, Fishing. Each and every one of those was an absolute grind fest, and I don't think I'd ever be crazy enough to want to do it again.

But back when I was 21, with the state of video games as they were back then, a lot of it seemed pretty epic. But I even acknowledged back then that some stuff was just too grindy for me. I wasn't ever going to have a Relic Weapon, I wasn't going to to have all jobs 75, I wasn't going to have a full set of AF2.

I was just happy slowly leveling up my mage side jobs and fishing and collecting other bits and pieces of gear for my little WHM.

Never really got that feel with 14, and I'd like to think I gave the game a good fair chance. I played it for almost a year and a half, too, but it just didn't really relive the magic that I had in FF11.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I know that eventually another game will get it right like XI did the first time, at least for me anyway, i'm really hoping 2.0 does but if it doesn't then oh well, eventually someone is going to strike MMO gold, but until then.... i'm bored.

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI