It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post subject: "Click and Buy" accounts hacked, credit card identity theft!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:22 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Thurstan / Metalmilitia
now I know why my FFXI account was canceled back in february
my card was hacked

here's my credit card history
01/02/2013 "Clickandbuy INTL LTD"
01/09/2013 "Click and Buy LONDON"

Bank of America put a hold on my card then and called me. They said "Did you order Click and Buy" and i was like yep. I didn't think to check for duplicates.

Two months later, my card got hit by over $100 in sports apparel from London.

I then realized that Click and Buy LONDON was a theft.

I remember Thurstan you also said your acct was stopped and you had to reopen your FFXI acct. Might wanna check your card!

Post subject: Re: "Click and Buy" accounts hacked, credit card identity th
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Great heads up.

I checked and nothing had happened to mine, but it is still a good tip. I believe the click and buy is registered for FFXIV as well, just not charging anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:47 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Not denying the case, but bear in mind that just because whoever used the card used it to buy something through "Click and Buy" doesn't mean that that's how the card details were hacked.

That's like saying that if somebody used your credit card to buy a TV through Walmart, then it must be Walmart at fault.

Checking an online banking statement every week is the best thing you can do for yourself. Most banks will credit your money back immediately if it's fraudulent, even if it's just a Debit Card, but you'll have to get a new card, and sign paperwork that says it definitely wasn't you. Had to do it once when somebody randomly bought a TV with my card.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Ket
They didn't use it to buy things through Click and Buy. They used it to go sports-apparel shopping in London.

When people steal your credit card info, they always start with a "test" purchase, usually something inexpensive. The test purchase on mine was "Click and Buy London" for $13.95, a few days after my normal "Click and Buy INTL LTD" charge, for exactly how much I spend to play FF11 ($12.95 + $1.00 mule). The only way they could have known this recurring charge is if they had access to my Click and Buy records. It was very sneaky of them to name it "Click and Buy" and have it for $13.95 because when I checked my statement I didn't think anything suspicious was going on. Bank of America even detected that it was not from its usual origin and called me and said "Do you use Click and Buy for $13.95?" and I OK'd it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:43 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I figured it wasn't actually click and buy, because it wasn't written the same way, and it's very unlike a company to write their own company name wrong.

Still, my point wasn't that you're wrong, but rather that there are other possibilities. One of the most common ways for people to get hacked is using the same password on some random forum as they do on their e-mail account. Especially older forums where the passwords are just unsalted MD5 hashes, easily retrieved using rainbow tables.

If somebody gets into your e-mail account they can really wreck havoc. They can do things like look up the invoices for things you've bought, how much and where from, or even use your e-mail account to reset the password on any other of your accounts to get access to them (and then delete the evidence straight from your e-mail). Lots of online services save credit card details to your account for subsequent purchases, so once you "reset password" your way into them you can start buying things without even knowing the person's card details.

Anyhow, I find it unlikely that click and buy itself was hacked because we'd be seeing a whole lot more "hey my credit card was hacked by click and buy" posted all over the various FFXI/FFXIV forums. However, I will keep an eye out for such posts, you can never be too careful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's a tad scary.

My e-mail password, thankfully, is completely unique. I don't use it for any other applications, thankfully.

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI