It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 10 Years Ago Today.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:47 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Look at Chatty Cathy over here.

But yah. I was wondering about Panther. Sorry to hear he hit hard times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

im sorry to hear about panther, i hope things picked up for him. i used to br very social on xi too i miss that in 14. its actually pretty impossible to because all the content locks you out of the chat channles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Eh... I dunno. There's some lockouts yah. The /tell thing is pretty stupid, but for the most part, we can still chat in /ls and /fc. Frontlines is the exception, and there's an understandable reason for it in the form of win-trading.

That being said! I think it's harder to talk in ff14, simply because fights are more fast paced. It's risky business replying to anything while in Titan HM for your trial roulette, for instance. haha.

FFXI had a lot of waiting around between skill chains. lol could read a book in between magic bursts! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 am 
Spammer, to the max!

lol fucking Rhinoa and his tildes

also, apparently Hobo is pissed off, so we better watch ourselves in case he's been planning to infiltrate us this entire time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Lol... i don't ever remember leading a LS in FFXI. Must have been the LS I was in before moving to Valour. the founder disappeared after a while, so I think I was one of the few people that could give out linkpearls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:13 am 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Just lol...Hobo and his elaborate infiltration schemes!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:19 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Ridere wrote:
Eh... I dunno. There's some lockouts yah. The /tell thing is pretty stupid, but for the most part, we can still chat in /ls and /fc. Frontlines is the exception, and there's an understandable reason for it in the form of win-trading.

That being said! I think it's harder to talk in ff14, simply because fights are more fast paced. It's risky business replying to anything while in Titan HM for your trial roulette, for instance. haha.

FFXI had a lot of waiting around between skill chains. lol could read a book in between magic bursts! :D

try having a convo with a friend whos not in your fc. its basically impossible unless you create a private ls. otherwise youre constantly locking out eachothers tells from going in and out of df

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, that position of S-E's is not defendable by me. Seems completely arbitrary that you can't send /tells while in duty. We should be able to /tell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:40 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

Being able to send /tell in duty would be dangerous for me. I'm a big chatter and pretty much never shut up most of the time. Although most of my irritating banter is in LS or FC chat...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Chatting with people in /tell was my favorite in FFXI. I loved to mt when talking shit about people too. I still did that in FFXIV but it wasn't the same.

No /tell in duty is annoying. I thought they would try and fix that by now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:57 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Problem is it's not "broken". It's a conscious decision. If they have the technology to let you chat with your /fc from the duty servers, then they have the ability to let you send a /tell to someone who is on the same server as your /fc. They've chose to not allow it for whatever reason.

Hell, they could let us send friends requests tells to people on other servers. I don't see a huge use for such. (Other than quickly getting an invite sent out to someone hilarious, so you can grab their steam name later, or something)

They just need to reverse that stance on /tells

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:14 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

They gave two reasons to blocking tells in duty:

1) They don't want people to be able to send private tells to other party members during a duty. They don't want you to be able to conspire against particular members with the other randoms or send abusive tells to a particular member. This is an understandable restriction.

2) They said that the instance servers do not account for the origin server of the people there. If you try to send a tell, it doesn't know which server to actually send that tell to. Not certain how true this is because your server name appears on the PvP scoreboard.

Linkshell chat and FC chat are actually done with separate chat servers. This is why linkshell and FC chat stay working even when the server blows up or you're d/cing. You're not sending messages to your home server, you're just sending messages to the separate chat servers you were already connected to. You'll notice that only chat works. You get no other LS or FC related messages (no logins, no new/left members, etc.)

They could probably fix it if they wanted to though. The game could look up your source server and send the message over to that server for you. But it's possible they intentionally keep the instance servers from communicating with the origin servers. Or perhaps the problem is that there'd be no way for a reply to get back to you because clients outside the instance servers only know you're in an instance server ("Another World"), not which one. If you d/c inside an instance server and never log back in for days, your origin server is not informed. Everybody sees you as online and still inside that instance. So the two sets of servers don't communicate that well.

Point is, I'm sure there are technical hurdles. Surmountable ones, but they figure its just not that important enough. If you're in a duty you probably don't have time to chat anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:00 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ketrebu wrote:
They gave two reasons to blocking tells in duty:

1) They don't want people to be able to send private tells to other party members during a duty. They don't want you to be able to conspire against particular members with the other randoms or send abusive tells to a particular member. This is an understandable restriction.

2) They said that the instance servers do not account for the origin server of the people there. If you try to send a tell, it doesn't know which server to actually send that tell to. Not certain how true this is because your server name appears on the PvP scoreboard.

Linkshell chat and FC chat are actually done with separate chat servers. This is why linkshell and FC chat stay working even when the server blows up or you're d/cing. You're not sending messages to your home server, you're just sending messages to the separate chat servers you were already connected to. You'll notice that only chat works. You get no other LS or FC related messages (no logins, no new/left members, etc.)

They could probably fix it if they wanted to though. The game could look up your source server and send the message over to that server for you. But it's possible they intentionally keep the instance servers from communicating with the origin servers. Or perhaps the problem is that there'd be no way for a reply to get back to you because clients outside the instance servers only know you're in an instance server ("Another World"), not which one. If you d/c inside an instance server and never log back in for days, your origin server is not informed. Everybody sees you as online and still inside that instance. So the two sets of servers don't communicate that well.

Point is, I'm sure there are technical hurdles. Surmountable ones, but they figure its just not that important enough. If you're in a duty you probably don't have time to chat anyway.

You missed the third one Ket unlike FFXI you can't just stand there and auto attack/hit macro's to win, FFXIV has a lot of dodging and rotations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:10 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I had no idea there where actual chat servers. But that makes a lot of sense, then, when thinking about the chatting aspect of it while servers are crapping out. we saw a lot of that back in early release. And I guess I hadn't really thought of the harassment side of things.

But yah. As mentioned earlier. You really just don't have a ton of time to chat when in a dungeon, as long as it's going well.

I still wouldn't mind /tell to people on the home server and simply not being able to send /tells to other people in the Duty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ridere is right. FFXIV is just too fast paced to have any kind of conversation while playing the game. At least that's how it is for WHM. I use to be so good at having multiple conversations in tells, party and LS at the same time. I don't know how I did it. I sure as shit couldn't do that now.

Today's screen shot... More sky farming lol. We farmed items almost every day, but did the sky gods 2-3 times a week I think. We had a total monopoly at this point. No other NA linkshells were even close to doing sky gods at this point. I don't think any other linkshells actually did any of the sky gods when they had their generic skins.

Attachment:
pol 2004-08-06 22-41-54-31.jpg
pol 2004-08-06 22-41-54-31.jpg [ 616.58 KiB | Viewed 5159 times ]

oh and some Drama. I have no clue what was going on here, but I apparently was getting a long with Vaelen haha. I didn't like him at all, but he was a huge source of inside information into other linkshells.

Attachment:
pol 2004-08-06 00-14-41-09.jpg
pol 2004-08-06 00-14-41-09.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 5159 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I like the latest Sky SS, definitely has the majority of names I think of when I think of Sky farming =P Just missing like Kayne Ilm and Peejo, and its been so long that I don't recall if any of them regularly farmed Sky or just showed up for Gods =P Well except Kayne that fucker was train master of Sky.
Hell i hated "camping" sky and would only show up to help kill stuff most of the time myself, but that was after other people cared to farm gods.

And I guess thats the plus side of spells that take 8 seconds to cast. plenty of time to chat =P certainly FFXI was probably the most social MMO I ever played. Even if it was all drama, cybers, and me being a dick to everyone after a certain point. It is telling that after 10 years some of us still hang around the forums and people swing by every few months to say hi. I certainly don't do that with my former WoW or Everquest guilds even if I was in some of them substantially longer than I played FFXI for. And that's not disparaging those guilds at all I had a lot of fun and meet some great people in other games too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

socializing was one of the best parts about ffxi. plus all the politics and drama.

now you cant backstab a kid anymore cause you gotta dodge fireballs and can't /tell in dungeons. and everybody gets all butthurt cause you accidently pulled a mob lol.

NM would have already been pulled and dead none of that carebear waiting for everybody to group up for a hunt BS. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

This one is awesome haha.

Attachments:
pol 2004-08-07 16-20-18-70.jpg
pol 2004-08-07 16-20-18-70.jpg [ 419.13 KiB | Viewed 5132 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:47 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Ugh, I hated XI because of the drama! I always got sucked into other peoples problems lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:12 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

xi had drama everyday. doesnt help that i was a teen or very early 20s my time there, i instigated a lot of it myself. i remember before i was in ckd, yarr pissing off the entirity of citidal through the floor while xping on bats.
ket invited me to do missions with yarr because we both needed catching up on the story line. and yarr was like thr nicest person to me lol i was confused. i joined ckd shortly after.
i also rememner murph when you first met your wife irl. she was asleep on your bed and you went on a very long and detailed account of what a fine sweet ass she had on ls chat. it was kinda cute and very awkward lol.

i think the constant drama and highs and lows really impacted how i felt about the game, i think it made me more attached. like being in your own reality tv show. however, im really glad that thats an era now over. im pleased with our mostly content and cool environment now in 14. kinda too old for that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 pm 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

Kioko wrote:
xi had drama everyday. doesnt help that i was a teen or very early 20s my time there, i instigated a lot of it myself. i remember before i was in ckd, yarr pissing off the entirity of citidal through the floor while xping on bats.
ket invited me to do missions with yarr because we both needed catching up on the story line. and yarr was like thr nicest person to me lol i was confused. i joined ckd shortly after.
i also rememner murph when you first met your wife irl. she was asleep on your bed and you went on a very long and detailed account of what a fine sweet ass she had on ls chat. it was kinda cute and very awkward lol.

i think the constant drama and highs and lows really impacted how i felt about the game, i think it made me more attached. like being in your own reality tv show. however, im really glad that thats an era now over. im pleased with our mostly content and cool environment now in 14. kinda too old for that.

Hah, I don't remember that, but it does sound like me. I remember partying with Kio for days in a tunnel/cave area that's name escapes me. Was great xp though, I think we had a group run for like 15 hours once a few different times in a week to hit 50.

I was always recruiting people I partied with for LS's, and would be stuck between my loyalties to my friends vs things that they did to other people.

I think that's what eventually drove me from the game; always having to justify other peoples bone headed actions inside a game. Especially since everyone was a hypocrite and would complain about other people stealing crap, then turn around and do the exact thing they would complain about. lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:22 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kioko wrote:
i remember before i was in ckd, yarr pissing off the entirity of citidal through the floor while xping on bats [...] and yarr was like thr nicest person to me lol i was confused

You should know by now that Yarr goes out of his way to be a dick to any people who aren't in the LS.

Grade A Trolldad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:58 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ketrebu wrote:
Kioko wrote:
i remember before i was in ckd, yarr pissing off the entirity of citidal through the floor while xping on bats [...] and yarr was like thr nicest person to me lol i was confused

You should know by now that Yarr goes out of his way to be a dick to any people who aren't in the LS.

Grade A Trolldad.

\:D/

I was the nicest guy who ever played FFXI.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:14 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

OK some pictures from the last two days.

I remember this moment. I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I can also tell I thought it was funny because I have 4 screen shots that are identical. I must have just slammed the screen shot key as I was laughing.

Attachment:
pol 2004-08-08 21-49-28-54.jpg
pol 2004-08-08 21-49-28-54.jpg [ 1002.39 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]

Oh and I found a picture of Rushal and Kotee. I haven't seen many pictures with Rush (this is the first one), but Kotee for some reason is all over the cheeseburger screen shots.

Attachment:
pol 2004-08-11 22-25-46-12.jpg
pol 2004-08-11 22-25-46-12.jpg [ 733.71 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]

I think this was our first Byakko's Haidate. I don't think we even rolled. I think we just gave it to Kayne as a unanimous decision. This was also our first real smooth Byakko run where only Peejo died.

Attachment:
pol 2004-08-09 21-33-41-92.jpg
pol 2004-08-09 21-33-41-92.jpg [ 779.13 KiB | Viewed 5087 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:53 am 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

Lost 99% of my screen shots in hard drive crashes, but glad I got to keep these.

"Forsaken kills a Lumberjack" likely taken sometime mid-2004.

Attachment:
pol2004073018305794uploadme8fn.jpg
pol2004073018305794uploadme8fn.jpg [ 116.71 KiB | Viewed 5044 times ]

Attachment:
pol2004073018355455metoo2wi.jpg
pol2004073018355455metoo2wi.jpg [ 110.53 KiB | Viewed 5044 times ]

Attachment:
pol20040730183855655nb.jpg
pol20040730183855655nb.jpg [ 88.27 KiB | Viewed 5044 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General Gaming » Final Fantasy XI