It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:22 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Official PLAYSTATION 3 Discussion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™

Post news/rumors about the PLAYSTATION 3 here, instead of making threads for each individual Sony fuck up. Make it easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:57 pm 

Ponuh wrote:
Quote:
The price of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3 has been the subject of much debate. The system will come in $499 and $599 packages, the latter including a larger hard drive, built-in wireless network capabilities, and an HDMI port. However, according to Sony's own official PS3 Web site, the system won't come with the cables necessary to carry an HDMI signal, or any high definition signal for that matter.

According to the double-asterisked bit of small print on the page, "Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately. Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector."

HDMI is a video/audio interface that allows high-def content to be displayed in uncompressed form over a single cable. It also supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), an anti-piracy measure expected to be encoded into Blu-ray discs. Those discs will also make use of Image Constraint Token (ICT) technology, which would artificially reduce the output resolution of any signal not sent over a secured connection like HDMI.

Currently Microsoft's premium Xbox 360 comes packed with an HD component video cable, while purchasers of the Xbox 360 core system get a standard A/V cable and can pick up HD-compatible cables for $39.99. While it's unknown how much a PS3-specific HDMI cable will cost, GameStop is currently accepting pre-orders for a "universal" HDMI cable that will cost $99.99.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157113.html?action=convert&click=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Holy shit. The only thing I can do is: #-o

Is this also a signal that Sony has spent so much money in R&D that they're selling the console for the minimum price possible? Does that mean that a future price drop is out of the question? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:57 pm 

Mandos wrote:
BBC wrote:

BBC breaking news
The launch of Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 games console in Europe has been delayed until March 2007

Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's global computer entertainment division, said the machine would still be launched in November in the US and in Japan.

Mr Kutaragi blamed the European delay on problems in mass producing elements of the high-definition Blu-ray disc drives in the machines.

Sony said it still aimed to ship six million new PlayStations by March.

Fucking HD Blu-ray discs, the reason they have having trouble building it with european compliant components is because only about 0.3% of households even have HD TV lol. At this rate it will be easier and cheaper to import a ps3 and TV from the US and just buy a power adaptor to plug it in.

Thought I'd put this into the sort of similar post instead of making a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:58 pm 

Reinheld wrote:
Supposedly, Sony's only going to be shipping 500,000 systems worldwide at launch. 400,000 for North America and 100,000 for Japan. If you recall, 360 shipped 1.5 million at their launch and there were still massive shortages.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/ ... tation.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:21 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Heres one of Sonys first Adds for PS3.

This gives you an idea of what the new marketing deal is going to be like.

http://www.playsyde.com/stream_3000_en.html

btw its horrible lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:35 pm 

Yea, I saw that awhile ago. Haha. "This is living"? Nice slogan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:45 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Quote:
[UPDATE] This morning, US Sony reps told GameSpot that, despite the European delay and the AP report of reduced shipment numbers, the previous estimates still stood. "[We] have announced that 2 million will be available in the world come November 11 and 17 and 4 million by the end of the calendar year," said a spokesperson.

The company is also sticking to its original financial-year sales estimates. "The previously announced PlayStation 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed," the company said in a statement issued early this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:46 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ok that sounds like doubletalk.. really what to believe haha. So now they will have no shortage.. yeah sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:50 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Does anyone else think the font for "Playstation 3" looks like the spiderman movie font? and the "This is living" font looks like its from frutopia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 pm 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

Yarr wrote:
Does anyone else think the font for "Playstation 3" looks like the spiderman movie font? and the "This is living" font looks like its from frutopia.

i posted the same thing like when the pictures for the ps3 wewre FIRST released -.- no one listens to me

Post subject: PS3 DELAYED IN EUROPE AND LAUNCH UNITS SLASHED OMGOMG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:27 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

first about launch units

Report: US, Japan PS3 launch numbers slashed
[UPDATE 2] Associated Press reports that Sony has reduced to 400,000 in North America and 100,000 in Japan; US Sony reps say previous 2-million-unit launch estimate still stands.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Sep 6, 2006 10:36 am PT
This morning in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi reportedly announced that only 500,000 PlayStation 3s would be available in the US and Japan at launch, and that the console's European debut had been pushed back until 2007.

Of the 500,000 launch PS3s, 100,000 will go on sale in Japan on November 11, and 400,000 will hit store shelves in North America on November 17. "We decided to focus on the Japanese and US markets," Kutaragi told reporters at a Tokyo press conference before apologizing for the delay, according to the Associated Press.

[UPDATE] When contacted by GameSpot about today's PS3 news, Sony reps said only that the company had "not announced specific ship numbers for Japan or North America."

Two weeks ago, Sony Computer Entertainment America president Kaz Hirai spoke with GameSpot about the forthcoming launch of the PlayStation 3. In the interview, the veteran game executive said that Sony expected to ship 2 million units worldwide by the end of the calendar year.

However, Sony corporate communications quickly contacted GameSpot to say that Hirai had misspoken. What he actually meant, according to Sony PR, was that there would be 2 million PS3s available when the PS3 launched in the US, Europe, and Japan nearly simultaneously in November, and that 4 million units would be available by the end of the 2006 calendar year.

[UPDATE] This morning, US Sony reps told GameSpot that, despite the European delay and the AP report of reduced shipment numbers, the previous estimates still stood. "[We] have announced that 2 million will be available in the world come November 11 and 17 and 4 million by the end of the calendar year," said a spokesperson.

The company is also sticking to its original financial-year sales estimates. "The previously announced PlayStation 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed," the company said in a statement issued early this morning.

Sony blamed manufacturing laser diodes for the PS3's Blu-ray Disc drive for the shipment issues. "The revision of the launch date in [European] territories is caused by the delay in the mass-production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilized in PlayStation 3," read Sony's statement. Kutaragi gave similar comments to the Associated Press, though he reportedly said they would also cause short supply.

In February, Sony hinted similar problems could delay the PS3 from its then-scheduled Spring 2007 launch. The new November launch was confirmed at Sony's Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference in May, the same month Sony announced the US launch of the Blu-ray format had also been pushed back. Meanwhile, in July, several Taiwanese business newspapers, including the Commercial Times, reported that Sony was falling behind in production of Blu-ray laser diodes, although Sony would not confirm those reports.

Analysts were swift in their response to the PS3 news. UBS's Michael Wallace predicted the delay could have an alarming ripple effect with third-party publishers. "We also think this delay could cause some of our companies to push some of their PS3 games out until March 2007 to take advantage of a larger installed base," he said in a statement. "We note that Activision (three launch titles), Electronic Arts (four to five launch titles), and Take-Two (three titles by January 2007) currently have the greatest exposure to the PS3 at launch, so they could be impacted the most by this delay."

Today's PS3 developments caused Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter to lower his entire US annual software sales estimate--just issued yesterday--from three percent growth to two percent. He also tweaked his European annual game-sales estimate from one percent growth to a one percent loss. "Our prior forecast assumed that Sony would ship 2.3 million PS3s to the US and Europe in 2006," said Pachter. "Our revised forecast assumes shipments of 1.5 million to the US (unchanged) and zero to Europe (down from 800,000)."

Needless to say, the PS3's delay and any supply issues will be a boon to Sony's rivals, Nintendo and Microsoft. "There will undoubtedly be some 'substitution effect' from lower PS3 shipments, with a portion of the shortfall offset by higher sales of PlayStation 2, Xbox 360, and Wii hardware and software," Pachter said. "We have not adjusted our model to reflect this substitution...but we suspect that 25 to 50 percent of the shortfall in PS3 software sales (an estimated $124 million in Europe) will be offset by sales of software for the other platforms."

PlayStation 3 delayed in Europe
Sony announces next-gen console pushed back to March 2007 in Europe; blue laser diode issues cited for delay.
By Guy Cocker, GameSpot UK
Posted Sep 6, 2006 1:44 am PT
When Sony's PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles launched worldwide, there was up to nine months between the Japanese and European releases. So European gamers rejoiced when, at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, it was announced that the PlayStation 3 launch would take place worldwide over a matter of weeks in November.

However, this morning Sony has issued a statement saying that the PlayStation 3 release date has been pushed back to March 2007 in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, and Australasia. Sony cited 'the delay in the mass-production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group' as the reason for the postponement.

The Japanese and North American release dates are unaffected by the delay, with scheduled 2006 launches on November 11 and November 17 respectively. Sony's global shipment forecast of 6 million units for the fiscal year of 2007 also remains unaffected.

The European delay means that the PlayStation 3 launch will take place well over six years since that of its predecessor, which went on sale on November 24, 2000. Sony is making no additional comment on the PlayStation 3 delay at this point in time.

PrintE-mailCommentTagDigg thisEnter your tags below. Use commas to separate tags.
Examples: brawler, surprising, undead

Save Tags
Error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:29 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Jesus Christ Tomake -_-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:31 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

sorry for some reason i get happy about bad ps3 news

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:39 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Tomake wrote:

No. I mean you just posted the same article I posted, only I only posted a relative excerpt lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

Ponuh wrote:
Tomake wrote:

No. I mean you just posted the same article I posted, only I only posted a relative excerpt lol.

i was sure i posted it earlier but when i checked back like an hour later it wasnt there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:17 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

That film was nothing if not underwhelming. I thought it was going to be an antiperspirant spray advert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:12 am 

http://www.thisiswaiting.com/

Hah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:44 am 
Mike&Ike Irl
Mike&Ike Irl

Reinheld wrote:
http://www.thisiswaiting.com/

Hah.

those were enjoyable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:07 pm 

More confirmation about the MASSIVE PS3 shortage at launch.

http://www.infuzemag.com/games/archives ... rms_4.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157152.html
Quote:
Of the 500,000 launch PS3s, 100,000 will go on sale in Japan on November 11, and 400,000 will hit store shelves in North America on November 17. "We decided to focus on the Japanese and US markets," Kutaragi told reporters at a Tokyo press conference before apologizing for the delay, according to the Associated Press. Reuters echoed the numbers and said that Kutaragi had lowered the worldwide 2006 PS3 shipment target from 4 million to 2 million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:50 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

The only hope now is that its some retardedly strange marketing ploy,

"it's delayed until march"
"we only have 82 units to sell in the US"
"you need a lightning conductor to power it"
"HDTV? haha forget it"

then week before chrimbo they release it worldwide problem free and with some decent games.

fuck me a pig just crashed into my chimney, brb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:59 pm 

Could go down as the worst system launch ever. Hah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:31 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

i have a feeling it might get delayed everywhere lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:44 pm 

I wonder if Sony is beginning to realize that they're embarrassing themselves everywhere. It's really bad. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:11 am 
Tough!
Tough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:09 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

i gotta say this is a major fuck up on sony's part.

THe fact that blue ray players have trouble reading anything beyond 25gigs. Is sad considering hddvd already carry that capacity.

I've heard they've been having trouble reading stuff beyond 25 gigs. They said something about a firmware upgrade that should fix things but the thought of having a blue ray player on your ps3 thats incomplete kinda suck.

I strongly believe the industry is waiting on ps3, many many signs point to that. As much as i hope the wii will do well. People are creatures of habit. The playstation name is as famous as nintendo is in the game business. And for 2 generations now, they've held the market.

THe 360 though doing well in the united states, it is a fucking joke in japan.

76 thousand units sold in japan, this year. 9 months into the year and they sold only that. The fucking game cube outsold them. The jpn public won't buy.

Even with this fuck up. Only the wii and the ps3 have any potential to get both markets.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion