It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Sony's Ken Kutaragi announces plans to retire
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:36 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If anyone thinks Ken Kutaragi is doing this willingly is crazy. PS1 and PS2 were huge and a positive influence on the gaming commuity. Its crazy that one bad console could do this to him.

Source
Quote:
Sony's Ken Kutaragi announces plans to retire
Posted Apr 26th 2007 12:05PM by Christopher Grant
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 2, Sony PlayStation 3, Sony PSP, Business

In March, The Wall Street Journal said Ken Kutaragi was a "stumbling block" for Sony; now they're reporting that the controversial chairman and group CEO for Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. -- and father of the PlayStation brand -- will be retiring his post effective June 19. Of course, the 57-year-old exec was recently kicked upstairs, removing him from day-to-day operations following what many considered to be a botched strategy for the PlayStation 3. Kaz Hirai, who replaced Ken in December, will be promoted to CEO of SCE.

And Kaz, you better start practicing. You've got some large shoes to fill ... four-dimensional shoes that require dual HDMI soles to output 120 footprints a second. But seriously, we'll miss your krazy quotes, Ken!

Update -- SCEI statement: "Kutaragi has said that he has been considering this decision for some time. He stated that, in the six months since the appointment of Kazuo Hirai as President in December, the new generation of management, led by Mr. Hirai, has continued to develop. With the March introduction of PS3 in Europe completing the successful launch of PS3 worldwide, Mr. Kutaragi has identified SCE's Annual Shareholders' meeting in June as the ideal timing to pass on the torch to the new generation of management. Mr. Kutaragi will now apply his extensive technological knowledge and leadership skills to take on new challenges beyond the world of PlayStation. Sony and SCE will continue to seek Mr. Kutaragi's input and ideas from a broad perspective, while continuing to support him as much as possible in the realization of his dreams."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:50 am 
DL Hughley

It's over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:59 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

it was because of this man, that the ps3 turned out to be so damn expensive. He's also known in the industry for some of the worst video game quotes ever.

Most of the time he merely spoke out of his ass!
THe ps3 will be able to do 4D graphics. What?!
THe ps3 will run all games at 1080p. ( never happened)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:17 am 
DL Hughley

Mikey wrote:
THe ps3 will be able to do 4D graphics. What?!

Hell yeah tesserac graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:20 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah he talked way too much shit about the PS3. Talked shit that the system couldn't really back up. Wasn't he the guy who was slamming Nintendo and MS about their systems? Sony was way too arrogant about the PS3 launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:21 am 
DL Hughley

The way sony talked about ps3 reminded me of the way ms talked about the original xbox, soooo much arrogance with so little to back it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:14 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

honestly if the ps3 came out at 400 $ it would have swallowed 360

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:20 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah but it didn't Mikey. Sony should have had the 60 gig for 500 bucks and the 20 for 400. They would be doing much better than they are now if those were the prices. They are stopping the 20gig, and I bet the rumors of them making a 80 gig are true. Really the system will sell much better once some big exclusive titles are out. Them talking so much shit before launch turned a good deal of people off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:32 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

If PS3 and Xbox 360 were the same price the PS3 would smoke the 360, obviously. If all three were the same price the PS3 would crush the living shit out of all of them lol.

I'll get a PS3 eventually. I think most people on this forum will to. The PS3 is going to be a very serious contender down the road. I really think so. Its having some trouble now, but once MGS and Final Fantasy hit the system its going to take off. Everyone WANTS to love the PS3, its just that Sony isnt giving us any reason to love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

MGS and FFXIII have been rumored to be ported. And a FFXIII: w/e was already annunced for Wii. What happens to the PS3 then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:29 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If PS3 was $400 (60 gig) I'd own one right now. I agree PS3 would crush the other systems if they were all $400. If the 360 Elite had a built in HD DVD drive and cost $400 it would be a different story. I don't care much for the format war (I do love HD DVDs), but since the PS3 has built in Blu Ray...if it was $400, that alone would be worth it.

If the 360 came out with an external Blu Ray drive....I'd probably buy it and never own a PS3. 360 could have it all!

lol @ 4D graphics. That is just wicked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:46 pm 
DL Hughley

The games I'm interested in for PS3 are MGS, Silent Hill, White Knight, and any Ace Combat that might come out. As far as I'm concerned FFXIII doesn't exist, and 3-5 games can't sell the $600 system for me, or even a $250 system, in which case I'd own a Wii already (Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers). As much as I'd love to play MGS4 I know I probably never will if it only comes out for PS3, and I can deal with that.

For now I'm perfectly willing to stick with my ps2, gamecube, and especially my GBA/DS even though to me, DS still can't match GBA (needs more Golden Sun). I'm pumped for FFTA2 and there are still old games I need to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:27 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

DS doesn't need to match GBA...because it makes a great GBA emulator! DS really owns every single console. I can't explain how much I love playing handheld games while watching movies on the big TV. Between DS and GBA there is more titles I want to play that I haven't yet, than every console combined.

lolpspbtw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:39 pm 
DL Hughley

Kluya wrote:
Between DS and GBA there is more titles I want to play that I haven't yet, than every console combined.

That's another fact, every visit to the game store reveals more hidden gems in the GBA/DS sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:58 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

DeadLegend wrote:
The games I'm interested in for PS3 are MGS, Silent Hill, White Knight, and any Ace Combat that might come out.

Ace Combat is xbox onri atm. (unless they announced something that i dont knwo about)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:46 am 
DL Hughley

Oh wow, xbox just scored a big point. How long has it been this way? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:29 am 
Tough!
Tough!

Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation Set for 360

First news article was late march.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:44 pm 
DL Hughley

Oh mah gah...AC is finally going online, and on top of that it has a fucking awesome title haha.

Sooo how much is an internet ready xbox360? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:20 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

The Elite and Premium come with 1 month gold out the box. Add $50 if you want a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:59 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Yarr wrote:

I'll get a PS3 eventually. I think most people on this forum will to. The PS3 is going to be a very serious contender down the road. I really think so. Its having some trouble now, but once MGS and Final Fantasy hit the system its going to take off. Everyone WANTS to love the PS3, its just that Sony isnt giving us any reason to love it.

I like agreeing with people today.

Con-fucking-curred on the MGS. Just finished going through the entire series with Snaake, and I'm looking forward to 4. Been following all the commercials and videos for it, too.

back to a bit more on topic: yes, we'll be getting one soon. TBH, EB/Gamestop has a trade in your PS2 (cords + one controller), Extra sony controller, and a mem card, get 100 off the 60 gig.

Not to push gamestop, really, I hate 'em, but yea... it's actually a decent deal, especially since Ps3 can play everything a PS2 can(supposedly.)

Deadlegend wrote:
something about Silent Hill

yaaaaay! I'm SUCH a Silent Hill nut. I've got it reserved on the PSP and I can't wait for a next console installment on whatever system. It just better be....uh better, than 4, The Room. That one sucked. Go SH3 tho, she had my name. :D:D

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion