It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:01 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Mario Galaxy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Oh my God does this game look good. To me, it looks much nicer than Gears, Quake Wars or Crysis. It may have one one-millionth of the polygons but it's just so pretty to look at. Finally a game whose graphics almost live up to Wind Waker, which I consider to be the nicest looking game in history. Finally something worthwhile to play on Wii

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21742.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:27 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

I hope it translates well to an HDTV. Zelda for Wii looks like absolute shit on a big t.v., even with the component cables.

I hear Mario Galaxy is going to be a crap load of fun. Everyone who's played the demo has had literally nothing but good things to say about it. I'm really excited about this and Metroid. The controls for both are said to be unbelievably good.

Graphically it does look impressive, and the style is very vibrant and colorful. Gears in my opinion is more visually appealing. The tones, colors, and filters add a lot to the overall presence of the environments. I forgot where I was going with this, but both games have the potential to "wow" us with their visuals, just in different ways.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah that is one of the Wii games that is more intriguing to me. It has good graphics but I wouldn't compare it technically to something like Gears (or the Unreal Engine 3 period lol). Texture and skin art is a diffrent category than just plain pushing polygons. Nintendo doesn't try to be at the cutting edge of graphics most of the time. I hope the controls and overall gameplay is better than the other Wii games I have played. They were fun for a while, but overall were disappointing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Gears has sharp images and looks realistic, but isn't all bright and colorful like this game will be. It's hard to compare the 2. Of course Gears will look better lol. I agree Zelda doesn't look so hot on HDTV in comparison with HD games, but it doesn't look bad.

I think it will be enjoyable and full of eye candy. I have a hardon for this game. I love all Mario games though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:55 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

I wasn't comparing it to Gears technically. I was saying that in spite of technical differences Mario is exponentially more pleasing to look at than Gears, which is technically great but sort of drab and gray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:56 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

mario galaxy just looks like the the type of game that will be a simple joy to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:45 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It is drab and grey due to the bleak nature of war. If you want your particle blood effects to stand out, you don't have a bunch of colorful shit in the background to drown it out. Epic is fully capable of making bright and colorful graphics if it suits their purpose, like the Unreal Tournament series lol.

Same goes for JetSetRadio for DC it had a color scheme for most things that was kinda dark and chose neon type colors to make the places where you tag and places of interest stick out to the player visually. Contrast between two extremes basically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:01 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

I'm just saying the art direction isn't nearly as inspired. Gears looks amazing based on pure technical innovation but I don't find the design to be that revolutionary. The Locust enemies are almost all humanoid other than the little jumpers.

Half Life 2 is very vibrant and is still incredibly intense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ponuh wrote:
I'm just saying the art direction isn't nearly as inspired. Gears looks amazing based on pure technical innovation but I don't find the design to be that revolutionary. The Locust enemies are almost all humanoid other than the little jumpers.

Half Life 2 is very vibrant and is still incredibly intense.

Wretches gave me nightmares lol. Playing that game in the dark with the volume cranked was rad.

And I like bright colors and flashy stuff, which is why I know I will like the graphics on Mario Galaxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:06 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

To me Wind Waker is removed from the passage of time in terms of graphics. It will be judged in 25 years as looking good because of its non-standard approach. Gears of War will be considered ugly by those standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:29 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Because it tried to be somewhat realistic lol. We are going to be hyper-realistic with graphics in 25 years. Eh the Creeper wasn't humanoid, neither are the things on the side of the train you fight Raam on. Gears didn't have really original art design, that much is evident. Still it is a great looking game, well done graphical effects and great animation for how detailed everything is.

Wind Waker looks like a cartoon, that is all. When Nintendo starts adding actual voice acting into their games I will see them as making a step forward. Kinda lame to still hear small clips and have to read everything in a Nintendo game. They should be WAY past that. Just replacing Epona with a half-assed talking ship and making cartoon graphics, doesn't make a great game. OoT was much more revolutionary as far as Zelda goes. Cell shaded graphics are overrated, and WW is no exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:32 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Ponuh wrote:
To me Wind Waker is removed from the passage of time in terms of graphics. It will be judged in 25 years as looking good because of its non-standard approach. Gears of War will be considered ugly by those standards.

not true at all.

FFXI - Yurichan: 75THF(Ret) / SC2 - Lawncare / XBOX - Zombie Sharks / PS3 - Zombie_Sharks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:33 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

Yurichan wrote:
Ponuh wrote:

not true at all.

Yes, Gears of War will be considered ugly as shit in 25 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:37 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

i really dont think it will be concidered ugly as shit, it wont be what the graphics will be 25 years from now, but not "ugly as shit".

FFXI - Yurichan: 75THF(Ret) / SC2 - Lawncare / XBOX - Zombie Sharks / PS3 - Zombie_Sharks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ponuh wrote:
Yurichan wrote:
Ponuh wrote:

not true at all.

Yes, Gears of War will be considered ugly as shit in 25 years.

The things we now see as videogames now will ALL be jokes in 25 years. Visuals won't be on a screen by then. Hopefully holographical images and other type of virtual reality technology coupled with images that are hyper-realisitic will change how games are made. Fucking TV and the movie industry need to die fast. It already seems music is completely headed down the shitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

just to add on that, mario galaxy looks fucking amazing. wow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Agreed that is a potential system seller. I have a soft spot for the italian plumber, damn my childhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:52 pm 
Tough!
Tough!

I really wish Sonic Team as as innovative as nintendo. They just need to fucking buy Sega already and make crazy sonic games. Fuck this Mario & Sonic olympic games bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:42 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

I loved Wind Waker's style and gameplay. In my opinion, it's one of the truely great games, and one of the few that gets an unjustly bad rap. But Super Mario Galaxy looks amazing as well, I just hope some more third party games start coming out for the Wii of comparable quality. Or at least just not pure rubbish. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:07 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The gameplay pretty much is the same as OoT lol. Same type of stuff only different graphics that and missing the opportunity to do voice acting like they should have anyways since its not on a fucking cartridge anymore. Splitting the triforce was lame way to extend the game and make you go through all the dungeons again. TWP is better somewhat, but really they are both equals. It is OoT and the first Zelda that are the true great titles of the series. Everything else is nothing big in comparison, LttP was pretty damn sweet though. The second Zelda is underrated somewhat but it is the most different, so that is to be expected. WW was a great game just like all the Zelda games are to an extent, but it isn't even in my top 25 games of all time (probably if I am just doing console games).

I am really disappointed in the Wii from what I have played of it, but it has big time games coming out in the near future. Mostly first party titles that I am interested in. I don't have the free time to play all of the games I have anymore haha. DS is pretty good and the Ninja Gaiden game coming out for it might be badass if done right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:55 pm 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

The Triforce hunt was a mistake I'll admit (Miyamoto admitted this as well) but that's really my only gripe with the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:02 pm 
Emo Immolator
Emo Immolator

I hated Wind Waker but I could never tell you why. I started to get really jaded with a lot of games around that time; I can't enjoy most video games like I used to.

Then again that's sort of why I want to try out a DS or the Wii. Something different. I just need money now, haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Caduceus wrote:
I hated Wind Waker but I could never tell you why. I started to get really jaded with a lot of games around that time; I can't enjoy most video games like I used to.

I had the same problem when playing it. I can't get into any video game at the moment (haven't played anything seriously since FF6 advance). I wish I could enjoy them all like I used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 am 
Decent Challenge
Decent Challenge

I liked wind waker, until i got to the island you have to play minigolf on, thats when i quit the game and got rid of it at gamestop, i never got to the triforce splitting, and now im glad i didn't.

TWP is awesome, aside from the lame ass poe hunting i enjoy every minute i play, and it has alot of the elements of OoT and WW in it,

as for Mario galaxy it looks nice, my roomates just got mario party 8 and its alot more fun than any of the other ones, but i may be biased on my opinion since one of my roomates cannot seem to grasp the concept of how to control the tilting of the wiimote, even though it has an on screen set of mario's arms and hands showing you how to hold it and move it, i guess she is just a Wiitard (i need to copyright Wiitard)

metroid prime 3 looks fun as hell too, but we gotta get a PS3 for CoD4 that game made me wet myself when they showed it on G4TV.

WoW
70 Druid Night elf Boulderfist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:53 am 
The legend. Teh Ponuh™

I agree you should copyright "wiitard" because it's sure to catch on when the console is released this christmas (oh I thought we were roleplaying the first day the name "wii" was announced and people came up with that word)

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion