It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Where many paths converge
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 am 
DL Hughley

The end of the universe.

Dissidia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKcfNkoZjI&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnfxN3CllU[/youtube]

Summer 2009.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:17 pm 
Iron Chef

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomggggg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:37 am 
DL Hughley

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dissidia/

site has downloadable themes for the psp but I don't know how to do it. Also has character art/profiles, 3 videos, and a bunch of other crap. Somebody figure out the theme shit I only got the psp two weeks ago.

In other news I bought the jp vers of this game off ebay today, can't wait to get it, hoho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:56 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

DL if you have japan psp verson you can play japanese games but you can't play USA verson. unless sony didn't lock them out. ( I am not sure about this.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:29 pm 
DL Hughley

Na psp can play jp games so I'm fine. Shantotto is confirmed on the jp website but she may be hidden or something I guess. Doesn't appear in any videos. I hear Judge Gabranth from ff12 is a secret playable as well. I see in gameplay videos that Cecil can transform between Dark Knight and Paladin at will during battle, which is huge. Kinda sucks Jecht is a bad guy, sad shit. If you go to the jp website you can see artwork and alternate (ex mode?) character models for everyone (including both Cecils).

Kefka's alternate is his psycho god mode from the final fight, but Sephiroth's seraph was left out because the creators didn't want to shrink it down to make it fit the battlefields/fighting style. Terra looks awesome. Squall picks up a slight angel wing motif from Rinoa, including a soaring angel replacement for Griever on his Lion Heart sword in ex mode.

What I think is really cool is that Firion from FF2 has a huge array of weapons. In FF2 all characters could use anything and build different levels of proficiency in each field of weaponry. If you look closely you can see (at least) sword, shield, axe, dagger, spear, and bow equipped on him. If I remember correctly that's every weapon class from FF2 besides hand to hand. He's set to bring the muthafukkin ruckus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:08 pm 

Didn t know that games of japan verson can be palyed on usa verson psp.

One thing missing who is Shantotto's foe?
and other thing is too bad cloud's sword is not same as AC movie verson that I wish for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:48 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I played a pirated version of the JP game to see if I'd want to pick it up when it makes it NA release. The combat is a bit simplistic but it generally fun and quite pretty. the story from what i gathered in the intro was a bit weak. Some stuff about "Chaos" and shit, but serviceable enough compared to Smash Bro.

the RPG elements like gear and character customization seem to have a good variety if along the kinds of things you'd expect from games of this type.

and the board game type system you use to progress through the story/random encounters is probably the least impressive part, and I didn't really understand the point of it except to make the game take longer to beat than if it was just a string of "boss" battles.

All in all it seems pretty solid, but the action/gameplay isn't so amazing that I'd play through it unable to understand the story, but I'll probably pick up the NA release, since I'm a sucker for final fantasy fanservice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:46 am 

DL I will look up how to put themes on psp I need to look it up on pc so I can see where file goes I will update info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:32 pm 
Iron Chef

Pantherxx wrote:
Didn t know that games of japan verson can be palyed on usa verson psp.

One thing missing who is Shantotto's foe?
and other thing is too bad cloud's sword is not same as AC movie verson that I wish for.

It's the same for the PS3 also in case you didn't know. As soon as the FF13 demo becomes availible I'm importing that lol. Being released in March along with Advent Children Complete blu-ray. Rumor is the demo is close to 3 hours long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:43 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

It'll probably be shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:09 pm 
Iron Chef

Mikey wrote:
It'll probably be shit.

Dissidia or 13?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

Dissidia already got reviews. I hear its pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:49 pm 
DL Hughley

hey I predicted 13 would be shit a year+ ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:54 pm 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

basically anything SE has its hands on now that isn't a portable is absolute shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:07 pm 
Iron Chef

Idk, I'm still maintaining an optimistic opinion about 13, time will tell I guess lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 pm 
DL Hughley

Mikey and I both have this, it's really effin good. The fighting is a mix of power stone, smash brothers, and kingdom hearts 2 with this really cool chase mechanic thrown in for when the enemy gets knocked back. The menus can be a bit rough in japanese but for the most part you can figure it out either by trial and error or just by recognizing the things you've done in videogames for the past 20 years.

The battles are a sort of tug-of-war to gain power which leads to a final strike. There's some strategy involved in how much bravery you will accrue before going for the life attack. It's very interesting. The circle button damages the enemy's bravery and boosts your own, which directly affects your life attack power (your life attack damage is the same as your bravery). So the battle will roll along with bravery shifting back and forth, of course you can go for a life attack at any time but with more bravery you will deal more damage. Once you land a life attack your current bravery is reduced to 0.

As hits (of any kind) are scored, energy which can be absorbed floats up. Going near this draws it into your character, increasing your EX gauge. Once maxed you can go into EX mode, where your character hits harder in general and can unleash their killer attack or EX Burst. EX Burst is activated by simply scoring a successful life attack then quickly hitting the square button afterwards, which brings you to a special button input mode. This mode varies character to character. For example Squall's EX Burst is LionHeart, his ultimate limit break and you successfully pull it off by pulling the trigger correctly 8 times (much like in FF8). For Cloud you simply mash the O button to fill his Limit gauge. Tidus' Burst works just like his limit breaks in FFX, Cecil's is a series of direction+Action button combos, and so on and so forth. This attack regularly breaks the enemy's bravery entirely and usually kills them.

The battlegrounds are fully interactive. Most can be demolished, fighters can be smashed into walls, and all surfaces can be run on. When you are near a wall, or near the edge of a platform, or near a slide point a yellow arrow will appear. Hitting triangle allows you to interact. This makes you run on walls, fly from platform to platform, or slide along rail-like parts of the level. This really turns the whole thing into a high speed experience, and battles end up more like something out of Advent Children than a regular FF game. All characters can double jump off the bat while Zidane can triple jump, and other aerial abilities can be bought with achievement points gained as you battle.

Chase Mode is entered when you or the enemy gets knocked back. Once an enemy is knocked back the X button will flash on the screen for a moment, hitting this makes your character leap through the air to follow the enemy, once you reach them the game briefly enters a slow motion state where you can unleash a followup bravery attack (which more than likely will further knock the enemy back, lengthening the chase) or a life attack which generally ends the chase. However you aren't just allowed free attacks in this mode, what's cool is you can enter a dodge chase match which is essentially a crazy aerial duel in which you must hit the X button with perfect timing to dodge the enemy's chase attack, then retaliate with one of your own. This can go on for quite a while and gets pretty tense.

Each character's story mode has a sturdy length; five stages with 3-8 battles per. Most battles take place against drones, essentially just weird metallic versions of the various characters in the game, while special fights and stage boss fights take place against the real deals. Exploration elements on the board include chests, medicines, hidden items, etc. As you move along the board you spend Destiny Points which are allocated at the start of the stage. DP can be regained by achieveing certain requirements in fights, whether it's breaking the enemy's bravery within 10 seconds, winning in 10 seconds, smashing the enemy into a wall, etc. The board where you overlook the path to be taken is themed for the character and has a refined form of his game's world map theme.

All the battle music is rearranged from the originals. Most games include two themes, including the regular battle theme and a boss theme, however this is not a rule. All the music is great.

There's the story mode, a quick battle mode (choose player, enemy, set all parameters), and an online mode. WInning battles in any mode gains your character exp, gil, AP, and PP which can each be used for various things. With gil you can buy or upgrade equipment which, while not visiible on your character, boosts their stats and growth bonuses in various manners. PP can be used to buy all sorts of things from the general area of the menu. Such available items include alternate costumes, playable villains, boosts to your weekly rewards from the mognet (some crazy shit you set up when you start the game initially), character icons for ad-hoc play, and other random crazy shit I can't really understand.

Overall it's really effin good, and the experience will be dramatically increased when I have an english version in my hands. Great game.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion