It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Red Dead Redemption
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:04 pm 
DL Hughley

Is anyone else playing this? It's as good as the original should have been, far better in fact.

Hard to desrcibe what makes it so good really, it's basically grand theft auto except you play as a cowboy. Unlike in GTA, this game has an Honor scale (think paragon/renegade, light/dark) which determines how civilians, lawmen, and outlaws react to while also granting different boosts which affect shopping, hunting, and police encounters. The horseback riding is just fun to look at, makes me wish Shadow of the Colossus was on PS3. The scenery is phenomenal, the whole game feels like Gran Pulse in FF13. Combat is solid, with a decent cover mechanic and a degree of autolock that helps when you're fighting a one man war. Dead Eye aim returns from the original, which lets you slow down time while you take aim and lock on to your opponents (or whatever game you might be hunting at the time) before unleashing a hail of bullets all at once. The voice acting trumps GTA4 hands-down, but isn't quite up to scale with say, Metal Gear.

I think what I like most about this when compared to GTA, besides the fact that you get to ride a horse, is that the huge unbearable weight of negativity present in GTA is not here. The hero is a gentleman, most of the people you help out are not the scum of the earth, you have ample opportunity to actually play as a good guy and help random people out in various ways. Anything from fighting off bandits attacking a stagecoach, wild wolves attacking a traveller, stopping horse thieves, working night watch at ranches, freeing soon-to-be lynch victims, to picking flowers for a crazy old man and winning back a land deed in a poker game. Those opportunities don't really exist in GTA besides ambulance missions. Then again you can play prick if you want to, I just don't see the point and it doesn't fit into the story.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:34 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Whats the game play time on this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm 
DL Hughley

If you speed right through maybe 30-40 hours. I'm over 120, there's plenty to do and good online play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

120? Really? For sure gonna get it...when it goes down in price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

One of my friends is a developer for this game. She says: "The coop pack dlc that comes out in June is especially fun, so it's worth leveling up some multiplayer characters by then."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:08 pm 
DL Hughley

Yeah the ad (for the DLC) that came with the game had a picture of 4 players riding a stagecoach with guns blazing, looks awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

DeadLegend wrote:
Yeah the ad (for the DLC) that came with the game had a picture of 4 players riding a stagecoach with guns blazing, looks awesome.

That right there makes me want to play.

If I haven't played the first game, am I missing anything story-wise?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:34 pm 
DL Hughley

Dmitry wrote:
DeadLegend wrote:

That right there makes me want to play.

If I haven't played the first game, am I missing anything story-wise?

Nah, this game takes place much later, 1911. None of the characters are the same, but there are references to the originals in certain NPC names and one conversation some NPCs were having at a campsite about "a stranger named Red" who swung through the territory years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:37 am 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Picked this up last week. Fun so far. Just tried the online part of it. How does that effect your single player character? Or is the online part just totally seperate? Any info on that would be great, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:24 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

I got this game and still playing the campain but muit player is a pain when ppl keeps on kill ya.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion