It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: PS3 Security Compromised
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:07 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Not hacked, compromised. People have managed to aquire Sony's private key used for signing executables.

A little simplified background:

Spoiler: show
All modern security (like SSL, using your credit card online, and stuff) use both a "public key" and a "private key". The "public key" is used by your computer to verify that something is definately who it says it's from. So for example your computer uses a public key to verify that a connection to a site saying it's Amazon is definately Amazon and not somebody else claiming to be Amazon. A public key is also used by your computer to verify that a windows update package is definately from Microsoft and not just somebody who wrote the word Microsoft on it. The public key is used to decode a "signature" placed on the encryption.

Then you have the "private key" which is used to CREATE that signature. You use the private key to sign your file/connection/encryption in such a way that people with the public key can verify that it was made using the private key. This thing is supposed to be locked away in a 10-ton safe.

That's how most modern computer encryption/security works, it's nigh on impossible to hack, it's supposed to take super computers decades or even centuries to brute force attack. Unless someone was ever to get ahold of your private key...

So what does it all mean? It means that people are now able to sign their own executable code and have a PS3 think Sony themselves made it. No hacking, no modding, no flashing, no custom firmware. As far as the PS3 is concerned the code came straight from Sony.

"Wait, how did this happen?" I hear you thinking. "Did somebody break into the Sony HQ and steal it? Did an angry ex-employee leak it out?" Well apparently Sony made a bit of a slip up with the way they were using their private key. You're supposed to use a random number as part of the algorithm that generates the signature, and instead they were just using the same number every time. Because the number wasn't changing, people were able to mathematically reverse engineer the private key using the thousands of already existing signed PS3 executables. Oops.

What can Sony do about it? Nothing, really.

You can revoke the public key and issue a new private key. The problem with this is that all PS3 software made over the years up until this point are all signed with the old key, and every single one of these games would cease to work unless they were patched. They could implement new checks in the firmware, but then people will simply not upgrade until people make their own firmware -- which they can do now because they can sign it to say it's from Sony and the PS3 will accept it.

The good news is that it breaks the PS3 wide open for homebrew. The bad news is that it breaks the PS3 wide open for hacking, cheating, and piracy.

I'm not going to post links and stuff, you can find out about it on your own. This has only really just happened though so don't expect to rush out and find any stuff just yet. I'm quite interested to see what Sony does to correct this monumental cock up.

Post subject: Re: PS3 Security Compromised
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:26 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That sort of stinks, I guess. I dunno. I don't feel super passionately one way or the other about it. I sort of miss the age of Game Genie, but now with achievements and online competition, I guess it sort of sucks.

We'll see where it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

somehow my PS3 just lost all of its data, we lost all our saved games and downloads. sux

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:25 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'm not quite sure where exactly all your saved games and stuff would go, those are tied to the user account on the system and shouldnt be deleted unless you deleted the account. One also assumes your HDD isn't corrupted or else the thing wouldn't boot properly.

That said, you might want to try getting the PS3 to recover it's HDD data using safe mode:

Quote:
In Safe Mode, you will have the following options:

Restart System - Ends safe mode and starts up the PLAYSTATION 3 normally.

Restore Default Settings - Performs the same operations as [Restore Default Settings] on the XMB™, and also deletes PlayStation®Network account information from the system.

Restore File System - Attempts to repair all areas on the hard disk drive where files can be saved. Corrupted data may be erased if it cannot be recovered.

Rebuild Database - Deletes messages, playlists, changes made on [Information] screens, trimming information for pictures in [Photo], video thumbnails, video playback history and video resume information. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.

Restore PS3 System - IMPORTANT: All data will be lost by performing this step.
This will reformat the hard drive on the PLAYSTATION 3, deleting all data and restoring it to as if it just came out of the box. This is the same as [Restore PS3 system] on the XMB.

System Update - Updates the PS3 system software. This can only be done with an update file already saved on an external storage media.

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1:

Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:

Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.

Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.

Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:

Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.

Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.

Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PLAYSTATION 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode. Then you will see the Safe Mode menu.

Step 4:

We recommending performing the safe mode options in the following order until one of the options works for you. If one of the options work, do not continue onto the other options.

Restore Default Settings
Restore File System
Rebuild Database
Restore PS3 System

In particular you probably want to try the "Restore File System" option.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:02 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I think TS did the full restore because the menus stopped showing up

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:16 pm 
DL Hughley

Really stupid question, does this mean it's not safe to enter credit card info for say, the psn store or netflix, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

DeadLegend wrote:
Really stupid question, does this mean it's not safe to enter credit card info for say, the psn store or netflix, etc?

To the best of my knowledge, this is only for the signing of executables. A digital signing certificate and an SSL certificate use the same technology but are not one in the same. You actually need two certificates and therefore two private/public key pairs. Sony should have a completely separate certificate for their online communications.

Also, nothing stops Sony revoking and reissuing the certificate used for a website, because browsers will check for new certificates when visiting the site and the web stuff would stop working a day at most.

The problem is they can't reissue a new certificate for software because ALL PS3 software made before this point would need to be patched or it won't work anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket thats really interesting. When did this news hit? Must have been in the last few hours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:51 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I think it was yesterday afternoon, but there's now been a presentation where the guys who did it give a complete mathematical explanation of how they get sony's key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eag0VyRTld8#t=5m40s

It's a lot of complicated looking maths, but it basically boils down to this. If you have more than a single unknown variable in a formula, there's no way to figure out what either of those numbers are. This is why the random number is part of the formula, so there's always an unknown value. However, if one of those unknown variables is known to be constant (your random number isn't random), the last number (the private key) can be calculated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'd really like for this to open up homebrew and not start rampant hacking on the system.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:44 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

I hate cheater and hacker that take shortcut.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 am 
DL Hughley

Meanwhile

For the last few weeks PSN has been working like shit and beginning last week it's completely shut down the ability to enter the store. I can get to netflix but I have to try a few times as it asks me to sign in when I've already signed in. Now when trying to log into the store it says PSN is under maintenance.

For some reason one of my local stations broadcasts BBC programming for a certain portion of the day, namely the portion when I'm at the bar playing trivia. Tonight there was a BBC newscast about the PS3 security compromise that says login to PSN has been shut down for now as private information, such as CC info, could be obtained by third parties.

Ket have any idea if this is actually being worked on? If this recent issue is related to the original post how can they possibly remedy this? I don't play games online on ps3 but I like to check the store for ps1 releases and I use netflix on my ps3 everyday.

Also ROYAL WEDDING.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:41 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

PSN was hacked
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gad ... tml?hpt=T1

Quote:
A hacker has obtained the personal information of PlayStation Network account holders and subscribers of the Qriocity streaming service, Sony said in a message to customers Tuesday.

Sony's investigations over the past week determined that an "unauthorized person" had obtained users' names, home addresses, e-mail addresses, birth dates and passwords, according to a statement being sent to all account holders.

The attack also has crippled Sony's PlayStation Network, which has some 70 million subscribers and has been down since April 20. The network lets customers download video games from the Web and play against each other online.

"While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," said Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment, which manage the two services, in a joint statement.

The hacker could have taken credit card numbers, card expiration dates, billing addresses, answers to security questions and purchase history, but not credit-card security codes, they said.

Sony is encouraging customers "to protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss" by reviewing credit-card statements. The company also suggested that some customers may want to place a "fraud alert" with credit bureaus.

Sony did not say how many accounts had been compromised. A spokeswoman declined to comment Tuesday.

Some subscribers reacted angrily to the news.

"You waited a WEEK to tell us our (personal) information was compromised?" one PlayStation user wrote on a Sony blog. "That should have been said last Thursday" -- the day when Sony first acknowledged the issue.

The intrusions occurred between April 17 and 19, according to the statement. On April 20, Sony switched off the PlayStation and Qriocity online services, which have remained in the dark.

Users and paid subscribers were also mostly in the dark until Tuesday about the reason for the lengthy outage or about when services would be reinstated.

Sony initially said its PS network would be be back online within one to two days.

On Tuesday, PlayStation spokesman Patrick Seybold wrote in a statement that it could take another week before they "expect to restore some services."

I did hear something about some people reporting fraudulent charges showing up on their "PSN onry credit cards" but I haven't seen that on any credible sources.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

There's been all sorts going on.

As I understand it, at the beginning of this month, a special custom firmware came out that allowed people to get onto PSN without official firmware, and monitor how it works by reading the data before and after it's encrypted for transmission. In doing so, people found out how to exploit a part of PSN that allows special developer accounts to give themselves "free money" so they can download their own stuff from the PSN store. Basically, people managed to create a custom firmware that allows you to "add funds" to your wallet and the money just appears, then download lots and lots of games for free directly from Sony's own server. Oops.

Somewhere along the line, someone's used this newfound look at how PSN works to hack their way into the system. Sony thinks information has been stolen, but in reality they can never really be sure what has happened and has finally issued a statement that basically says "they might have taken everything".

Despite the huge uproar right now, it's not really a cause to panic just yet. Even if the hackers broke directly into their database and downloaded passwords, all they'd presumably have downloaded are password hashes, so it's not like they can then use the passwords to log into your email. And I don't know how credit card information is generally stored but I'd assume it's encrypted in one way or another.

All I suggest right now is to keep an eye on your bank account using online real-time bank statements (I assume you guys all have that like I do) just in case. There's yet to be a single credible source claim any fraudulent transactions have been made, and frankly, if hackers had gotten ahold of credit card information, they've have milked it for everything it was worth almost immediately. There'd be no point waiting for weeks later when people have had time to inform their banks and cancel/reissue their cards.

My take: Take caution maybe, but don't panic (yet). In particular I would maybe change the security question on your e-mail account. Your email address and maybe your security question/answer are among the things they might have gotten as plain text. So they could try and "forgot my password" their way into your e-mail account if you used the same question/answer. Once in your e-mail, people can "forgot my password" their way into pretty much anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think people are overreacting right now. I'm not worried about it, but I am keeping an eye on my bank account.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ket, once again you have done an AMAZING job at explaining a complicating matter in a way that makes sense to slower people like myself. Thank you very much.

I won't worry about this. I use different passwords for EVERYTHING anyways haha. I have 10+ different passwords I use and they are not different variations of eachother. I like making my life difficult. Unfortunately these hackers might know the name of my first pet and the color of my first car *gasp *.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 pm 
DL Hughley

I already forgot my new gmail password.

lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:17 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Does anyone else read everything Ket says with a british accent?

I totally do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Yarr wrote:
Does anyone else read everything Ket says with a british accent?

I totally do.

My genetics teacher is british, so I have a habbit of reading genetics with a british accent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:42 am 
Spammer, to the max!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:05 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I just got this email, but the address it came from seems sketchy.

Sony? wrote:
Add PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com to your address book

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

===================================

Valued PlayStation(R)Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full
and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and
efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country,
email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login,
and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip),
and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may
have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your
dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have
been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit
card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have
provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity,
out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit
card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have
been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security number or other
personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information,
you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation
Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that
you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation
Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we
encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and
to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information
for those who wish to consider it:
- U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually
from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report,
visit http://www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

- We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S.
credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus
place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps
to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can
make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however,
that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you,
it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your
identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others
are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a
fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report,
please contact any one of the agencies listed below:

Experian: 888-397-3742; http://www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; http://www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; http://www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division,
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

- You may wish to visit the website of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania
Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect
yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice
on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or
suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General,
and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be
contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone
(877) 566-7226; or http://www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney
General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202;
telephone: (888) 743-0023; or http://www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this
incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the
clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes
information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that
additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.
Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is
our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any
additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:03 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I had a fraud alert on my credit last year. The college I went to had a bunch of data "stolen" including student's SSN #s and personal info. I'm amazed at all these royal fuckups.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:34 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Dmitry wrote:
I just got this email, but the address it came from seems sketchy.

I got the same exact email, I just can't remember what CC info I had on file so I know which to watch or if its even still valid........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:11 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think my card was my old debit card which should make me safe, but I can't remember. Been too long since I could browse the store and buy stuff I won't play lol

The only thing I don't get from that email is the address it came from. It just doesn't fit Sony since their website is us.playstation.com I thought.

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:25 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion