It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Confirmed
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 am 
Even Match
Even Match

I got used to the linear part at some point and 13 got way more fun for me.... I've only played like 3 hours of 13-2 so far... can't get into it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Krellis wrote:
I've only played like 3 hours of 13-2 so far... can't get into it.

same

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:37 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

it sucks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:13 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Beat it today. Actually felt kinda short, only about 22 hours. I think XIII took like 40-50?

The Ending:

Wow, lol. (If anybody wants me to elaborate on the ending because they don't intend to play it, I will, but sheesh.)

Other thoughts:

I thought the battle system would be what kept me playing the game, but I didn't enjoy the battle system as much as XIII. The third-wheel monster thing never really gelled with me at all, so it felt like you were stuck with the same two characters for the whole game, and for whatever reason they had a vastly limited set of abilities compared to XIII. So eventually the battles get incredibly monotonous.

On the other hand, I liked the time travel stuff, at least to begin with. It gets a little nonsensical by the end, especially as they try to tell you that changing the future fixes the past and you're like huh how that makes no sense. Eventually you just roll with it, it's a JRPG after all, they make up rules as they go along.

I also liked the big city Academia, and although it didnt have much in the way of things to do, it was nice to have a nice big city to run around using FFXIII's tech, since FFXIII itself never let you go anywhere other than multitudes of corridors. It felt nice and alive with all the NPCs running around and talking and minding their own business. In fact, the whole game I felt like the game was intentionally marking off each of FFXIII's criticisms like some big checklist. Too linear? Time travel. No towns? Giant city. No mini-games? Golden saucer.

All in all, it wasn't terrible. Noel was likable, Serah was... Serah. The last set of boss fights were all awesome, though that final "dungeon" (if you want to call it that) was annoying as hell. Fights got boring for the reasons above, but things were open and nice to look at and you got to explore a lot so I didn't mind so much. But jesus christ that ending. I'd heard in advance that it was a bit of a troll ending, but that's one hell of an understatement.

The ending was written by trolldad's crazy drunk uncle or something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:16 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

tell me the ending, i wont be playing. the smiling pic makes me think you really enjoyed the troll ending lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ending summary, spoiler-free as possible, just the jist of why it's such a massive troll ending:

Spoiler: show
After defeating the final boss, things go back to normal, the sun is shining, the happy-go-lucky music has started, you get to see the fruits of your labour, everyone celebrating.

All of a sudden, everything goes up shit's creek without a paddle. Darkness, evil portals, explosions. No explanation why, either the boss isn't really defeated or something just pulled a Necron. Time for the "real" final battle, right?

Nope. Roll the credits, game ends.

Complete spoilerific trolldad written ending:

After defeating the final boss, Serah and Noel return through a portal to Academia 500AF to witness mankind launch it's new Cocoon to replace the one that fell at the end of FFXIII. The sun is shining, the happy JRPG ending music starts, they re-unite with Hope and Sazh. You've got your nice ending FMV to watch of everybody celebrating.

Then randomly, all of a sudden, Serah drops dead. She just collapses and is proclaimed dead. To add to the oddness of it all, the happy music continues to play while she's dead, lol. The sky then begins to darken and the Moogle drops dead too. Portals start to open up and some kind of apocalypse starts pouring through them.

It then cuts to a scene showing that Lightning is also dead.

"To be continued..."

Credits.

:trollface: ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:45 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

The utter drop off of writing / programming quality by SE is shocking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:45 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's pretty bad, Ket. haha. I don't think I'll be purchasing this game. I don't consider the -2 games to be true FF games, so I won't feel bad skipping them (Especially after X-2... shudder). I'll probably pick up FF15, whatever sort of hot mess that will be, but that'll be the last one I pick up simply to be faithful to the brand. If that game sucks, as well, then I'll have considered it three strikes (13, 14, 15), and I'll be done with the franchise unless something changes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

I agree, I havn't been impressed with any new stuff they have put out. If people continue to buy it because we grew up playing FF games then they are just going to keep making junk. I wonder what the Jp community thinks of the newer games?
I do hope they come out with some good new stuff, if not, I'd be happy with a remake of some of the earlier ones for PS3/Xbox. A few of those are worth playing multiple times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:35 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

I thoroughly enjoyed trolldad ending

The rest is just my thoughts with spoilers...
I didn't enjoy XIII until the game opened up more with the hunts from the Archytle Steppe. It was disappointing this XIII-2's Monster Infusion crap is a monotonous grind of time and useless if you already killed everything without even attempting to make some kind of ultimate Cloudburst or Chocobo or w/e.

I thought it was about time for some crazy dark sad OMG we really F*'d the whole game ending. By far the most controversial ending I have heard of in a while with no extra "happy everyone singing ending." Being that XIII took a ton of slack from crappy whiny character development to even handling Snow and his bs I almost grinned that that the entire universe collapsed. The new character and nostalgic visits were pretty cool and emotionally uplifting, Noel was decent. Mog talking is literally like giving R2-D2 a voice so I understand how that destroyed many people's idea as it did mine as well. Mog Voice should have been wise Hugo Weaving voice or something other than whiny asian girl IMO.

From story time standpoint and from reading fragments collected the story was semi-coherent if you just went along with it. In order for the future to turn correct the past changes as well to coincide with the now current future. An example being a broken plate from the future now the past plate would start developing cracks to coincide with that. There is a ton of time paradox phenomenon that any physics professor would literally cry from but for some reason it made sense (in as much sense as any JRPG) if you just said "ok" and went with it.

With Etro dead since she gave Caius her life force or heart and changed time by literally assisting all the players from XIII save Cocoon the area of Valhalla and the Void would spread because she is not there to control it after Noel slays Caius yet doesn't have the will to become the next guardian. Moogle dies as moogle is also a part of Etro (discovered in a fragment text story). Serah was supposed to be a Yeul or a future changed Yeul so after seeing a new future she dies happily...meaning somehow its all supposed to work out...somehow...probably via a trilogy.

All time, death/life etc. cease...hence chaos. Lightning isn't dead but rather on Etro's throne encased in crystal much like Vanille and Fang from XIII. Plus Caius was a pretty dope villain as he knew that in the end days anyway it'd just be him with his immortality, Noel, and a dying Yeul with literally no more humans to repopulate the planet. There are multiple side endings via fragments later and the paradox scope and once all fragments are collected there is trolldad ending with a twist but overall, as far as our current final fantasy's go I'd give it an 8/10 as for some reason trolldad ending felt like a nice touch. *sinister

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion