It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:50 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Confirmed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

US collector's copy of 14 was pretty lame, too, compared to the EU version. I guess you could have got that little paper with your nation's information on it, but I wasn't in any rush to do that. Not like framing that and putting it up on the wall was gonna make me any more popular with the ladies, or anything. haha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I tried the demo on PS3. It's garbage. Same crap as FF-13.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I’m 5 hours into this game, and it’s pretty terrible so far.

The story is not even slightly interesting. You are basically collecting “Artefacts” to enter time portals in search of Lightning and a land called Valhalla. Meanwhile you listen to constant dialogue from an annoying cast of characters – which only consists of 2 teenagers and a Moogle.

The voice acting is horrid, especially the Moogle. Every time the Moogle talks I want to punch myself in the face. I feel like I’m watching a cartoon made for 8 year old girls. My fiancé was on the couch next to me last night, and she kept laughing at the dialogue. She would look at me and say “really?”. She couldn’t believe I was playing a game that cheesy.

The gameplay is fun – very similar to 13. Progressing through the game is more open-ended from the start. You have the ability to complete different side quests and explore different zones at your leisure. I made the mistake of entering a high level zone and getting my ass handed to me by a boss enemy. That was kinda nice, since in 13 you basically had your hand held through the entire game. Also when you kill mobs you get gil which is cool. I didn’t like getting loot drops and selling them in 13.

If the story and cast were better, it would be a good game. If I could switch the voice acting to Japanese that would probably be better. I haven’t checked if that’s an option. I’ve done that in other games with bad voice acting (Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Infinate Undiscovery).

Another thing, the boss music is TERRIBLE. The music in this game overall is terrible. If you paid more $ for the collector’s edition for the soundtrack…I’m sorry.

Overall I liked FF13 better from the start. I enjoyed the story and cast in that game, and would take that over the open-endedness of FFXIII-2. Also - If you didn’t like 13, you will not like this game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I hated the battle system in FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I'm the kind of person who likes to ... "micromanage" battles. But when the battles are this fast-paced, with huge numbers flying by left and right, I don't feel like I have any control. The only input you really have is whether you want your party to do pre-stagger damage, post-stagger damage, or be defensive. It's that shallow.

The music on the demo was so annoying I wanted to just turn the sound off. That would have been a good idea because the voiceover is god-awful. Like Kluya said, especially Mog. No offense to anyone but Mog's voice is basically that of a young helpless Asian girl. Which is nothing like I how I pictured Mog. It hurts my brain. Neuronal connections that have been in place in my brain for 15 years have just withered and died.

I thought FF11 and FF12 were great. I just wish these recent games are a hiccup and they'll go back to making enjoyable games soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

whisp which of FF series of battle system that you like the most?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm glad I didn't pre-order this game. After getting bit twice by 13 and 14, I'm leery with getting release-day titles from S-E anymore. It's a real sad state of affairs, I guess. I'll give it another month, or so, and see how I feel.

Of course, by then I'll be playing Diablo III with you guys, so I guess I won't give a crap about this game at all. haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Mog's voice is embarassing bad. It sounds exactly like Whisp described it. I can't picture a moogle talking like that - so it hurts my brain as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:24 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

XIII-2 doesn't actually come out until tomorrow here but it looks like I won't be getting my collectors edition after all. Once it came time to ship my game the company that I pre-ordered it from suddenly cancelled it for me, and sent me an e-mail claiming that I requested it to be cancelled.

Turns out it was because of a card payment problem, which is now sorted, but it's now apparently impossible to re-order it. It's not on the website anymore, and I was told on the phone (while sorting the payment issue) that they wouldn't have any left now and couldn't just un-cancel my order or even re-pre-order it for me. Why not? Why would a warehouse suddenly no longer have my pre-order when it's still not passed the release date? It's not possible to have sold it on to someone else yet considering the game's not out and it's not on the website for somebody else to order, so do they just destroy it or something?

Oh well, guess I'll end up waiting. Even if I order it from somebody else I can't get it until something like next tues/weds due to delivery lead times.

I'll still get it either way, it'll just end up being later now. I don't go into these things with absurdly high expectations like some people. It allows you to enjoy medicore games a lot more when you're aware it's probbaly nothing stellar from the start. I quite happily played my way through even Duke Nukem Forever because at no point was I "disappointed" by it due to being everything I expected. This game'll be no different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Update to the above. I got home today to discover a giant package containing FFXIII-2 Crystal Edition anyway. To my knowledge, my card hasn't been charged (they had the wrong card details, after all) and they told me I couldn't re-order it because they had none. My account on their site also still says cancelled with no additional order placed.

So, yeah, I guess I have it now anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Pantherxx wrote:

FF11, FF9, FF7, FF4, FF12

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:56 am 
Spammer, to the max!

i been playin xiii-2 a bit since tuesday. the battle system is the same as xiii, kinda sucky and spamming autobattle isnt much worse than actually trying to be strategic. some of the boss battles do require changing paradigms pretty often, but yeah same exact thing as xiii.

story so far isnt as good as xiii (i actually liked xiii because of the story) but im not crazy far into the game yet so we'll see. i guess the good thing is that i dont have much to do in xiv atm so xiii-2 gives me something to fuck around with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm 

Whisp wrote:
Pantherxx wrote:

FF11, FF9, FF7, FF4, FF12

That is just about right and same as me! \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

You are missing FF6 the best FF evar omg.

FF6, FF4, FF7, FF9, FF11, FF12

Yeah the boss battles in FFXIII-2 require switching paradigms a lot. It's not as easy as FFXIII was. I didn't have any boss trouble in FF13 until the Bathanedauslausalsuus fight (which was very difficult IMO mainly the last one). I've already ran into trouble with early bosses in this game.

I did enjoy the first FF13, I did every single hunt in the game and fully upgraded 3 weapons (20 hours of farming gil from turtles). I am not enjoying FFXIII-2 as much..but i'm still playing it. I want to kill the moogle omg. I hate reloading saves and hearing it talk "Final Fantasy 13-2 up to this point, kupo". /facestab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:54 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

FF6 probably had the best story, most vivid characters, and memorable locales. The battle system could have been awesome, but I didn't like how all the characters learned all the magic and basically became clones of each other near the end. Sure they each had a unique ability but the magic and summons that they all shared became so powerful that didnt matter. And secondly I didn't like how useless enfeebling magic was in FF6. Otherwise it's one of the greatest games of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I still rarely use enfeebling magic in RPGs. haha. Basically MMOs only. But yah. FF6 was pretty epic aside from the fact that it set the trend for FFs in the sense where all chars basically became cookie cutter chars with unique "limit" moves.

The only one that has deviated from that since was FF9, and I still think it was an unsung hero of the Playstation(II) era of final fantasies.

I probably have the most nostalgia for FF4 and FF6, since those were my first true FF games. I did play Mystic Quest first, but it wasn't an awesome game by comparison. It was pretty cool when I first played it, however. Also, I did like its music. haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:34 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

enfeebling magic is only useful in battles that last a while, thats why it was huge in ff11 but completely useless in ff14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Try FF4 DS if you want some more thought in your random encounters.

Even a lot of the random encounters starting from mid-game to the end are near impossible to beat without spamming enfeebling and enhancing magic. If you're not casting Slow/Poison/Sleep/Haste/Blink/etc every turn you will die. They made the bosses more susceptible to enfeebles to compensate. I remember in the last dungeon I had to make sure I was casting blink on everyone and sleeping all the monsters that I weren't currently attacking to have any chance of beating them. Was really neat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I actually beat FF4 DS, and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely more tough than the FF2 (4) SNES game I had. I don't recall going overboard with the enfeebs/buffs, but I probably used some, yah. If anything, FF11, did sort of cement those spells in my mind, so I may have used some just out of habit. lol

I was sad when I found out you could only new game + the DS copy like 3 times. Would have been fun collecting all those special move tokens for all sorts of wacky combos.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:25 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

FF8 had the best system ever. :trollface:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:30 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

i c wut u did thur

Edit: Actually, I would like to watch Kitty play this again, just so I could refresh myself with the storyline. I just don't want to play it myself. haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Good news, Amazon is giving me $40 trade-in for FFXIII-2. Only lost $20..could be worse haha.

FF4 DS was surprisingly hard. I played that game a ton as FF2 (USA) and even the PSX FF4 "hard type" remake. I felt the DS version was harder than "hard type".

I am currently replaying FF6 on PSP, then i'm going to replay FF9. I have only fully played through FF9 once and I loved it. I need to complete it again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42 am 

FFIX is funny and fun to play just like the old FFVII like but in world of pot smoked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:49 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, I played the all the old NA console imports of the early FF games numersous times. Basically FF1, FF4, FF6, FF7. All the others I have only played through once.

Once I hit college and was able to get ahold of the FF8+ and PSX remakes, I was too busy with other things (and FF11/WoW :P) to play through an RPG more than once.

I really should go back and do some of them again sometime. I bet all of them, even 8, would be enjoyable to play through again. Well, maybe not FF2. I think that may be the most unlikely "replay" of them all, to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 am 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Loved 9, the only problem I had with it was the last boss, after you defeated the enemy that you thought was the last boss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:43 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I've recently started playing on 13 out of boredom, I've had it for so long but just been too occupied to play it, I have to say that i'm not a big fan of how linear it is, it just doesn't feel like a FF (apart from Sazh's afro-cho)

Saying that, i'm still gonna finish it and then jump on 13-2 afterwards.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion