It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: PSP2 Rumors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:15 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

With all the talk about the 3DS lately, lets talk about some of the rumbling in the distance about this other bad boy that's been hiding in the shadows.

There have been a lot of quiet leaks over the past couple of months (most in the past week or two) about the PSP2, here's what seems to be consistently rumored so far:

It has roughly similar capabilities to the PS3 and 360.
Don't assume that just because it's a handheld that it can't pull this off. The PS3 and 360 are now 5 year old technology. Similarly, the PSP had roughly the capabilities of a PS2 (on a smaller screen) 5 years ago. This is quite possible and honestly rather expected.

It has two analog sticks.
The biggest mistake the PSP ever made (which nintendo felt the need to copy and repeat, for some reason) is finally being corrected. There are leaked pictures of the devkit and it most definately has two analog sticks.

It has a touchscreen/track pad on the back of the unit.
You read that right. Sony have supposedly come up with a clever idea to add touch controls to games without getting your fingers in the way of the screen, by putting the "touch screen" on the back of the unit. This might take some getting used to, and obviously wont be used over the two analog sticks for controls but sounds like a great idea to not get grubby finger prints on your screen.

Was originally a slide-out style, but now looks like the PSP.
The form factor supposedly was originally a slide-out, similar to the PSPGo. However they had problems disipating the heat from it (!) so instead it's rumored to now look similar to the current PSP.

The screen is possibly an OLED.
A recent source claims that the PSP2 has an OLED screen. These things are extra thin, extra fast, and don't need a backlight (so they're like a Plasma TV) and don't need as much power to run. On the flip side, these things are really expensive. If the device really has one it'll probably add $100 to the price alone.

There's no UMD.
This is unfortunate (won't be able to play your old games on it) but it was expected. Word is that the new device will use something like SD-cards for both it's games and it's storage (and also very likely to include some internal flash storage ala 8GB/16GB iPhones.)

It has built-in 3G for always-on multiplayer, internet, and store access.
This is the very latest rumor surrounding the PSP2. Supposedly a particular Japanese telecoms company has been pinpointed as the carrier for the service in Japan. We don't really know any extra details such as what this costs or if it'll even be available in the US (since they have greedy cellphone companies to deal with). Hopefully they release two SKUs, one with 3G and a wifi only version, similar to the iPad, iPhone/iPodTouch, Amazon Kindle, etc.

It's getting announced this week. On Thursday 27th.
Sony are holding a press event this week, it's been pinpointed by a lot of sources as the date they're going to annoucne the PSP2. It's very likely that this will be the case, because the 3DS launch looms around the corner, and Sony will want to make sure everyone knows that "something better" is coming out soon, before everyone spends all their money on the 3DS.

Yes, this thing is likely to be very expensive. People have shown in the past couple of years that they're willing to pay a premium for the very latest handheld/portable technology if it has nerd-gasm specs (see: iPad, iPhone, etc). Hopefully on Thursday we'll find out all about it.

If it has all of the above stuff, I wouldn't expect change out of $300-$350.

EDIT: Here's two of the leaked devkit pics from a few months ago:

Remember the word on the street is that the PSP2 is no longer a slide-out unit like the PSPGo (which I think is a real shame).

And here's an "artists rendition" of what it might look like given everything we know so far: (Spoiler: It looks like a PSP.)

Post subject: Re: PSP2 Rumors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 pm 
DL Hughley

The backside touchpad sounds cool. Seems like having it there, where you touch without thinking, could make it less of a "Point and poke" style feature and something more along the lines of the DS space control with the gyro

I didn't buy the original PSP until November '08 because there weren't any games I wanted. While the launch lineup for 3DS is still shrouded, I am fairly certain that Nintendo will have more quality games (or at least more games I want to play) inside the first year. If the PSP2 can eventually run PS2 games via psn store download it'll shift me a lot further toward it. I don't mind having both if they end up good, I just can't get both at once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I really feel like Sony is making the same mistakes as it did with the PSP. The only way to avoid another psp is to lower the price to match 3DS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I agree with Yarr, the psp is tempting but too pricey.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I wonder if they'll use the touch pad on the back for triggers like L2 and R2. The second analog is definitely needed but would that make some things harder since you'd have to switch back and forth between it and the buttons?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:05 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Dmitry wrote:
I wonder if they'll use the touch pad on the back for triggers like L2 and R2. The second analog is definitely needed but would that make some things harder since you'd have to switch back and forth between it and the buttons?

You mean just like you already do with a PS2/PS3 or 360 controller? I don't think that's gonna be a problem.

Only problem I see is that, for some reason, everyone seems to think they'll put the analog sticks ABOVE the buttons, and I dunno why. That isn't how Sony lay out their controllers. Heck not even the 360 puts the stick above the buttons, dunno what they're trying with that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It being above the buttons is the only thing. Idk, I'd just have to see it first since I'm used to how the PSP is.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I want this even though I've hardly touched my original psp. Whether it will sink or swim I think is entirely dependant on the launch library.
It's likely that one third of the potential market will be early adopters, the other third will be scared away by the price for at least a year or two, the last third will be the completely ignored family/casual market and will likely buy a 3ds.

The price point is unavoidable but I think if they have a wide variety of impressive looking titles, it will do well for many years.

3g connectivity is very interesting. I'm very hopeful that this means that psp liscensing will require online mp. Online mp will be a huge selling point. Anywhere online mp is epic.

I'm afraid the ditching of UMD will anger a lot of people, but I think it's the best possible move. It was quite obvious that umd was failure early in the PSP's life, but then again the Go was even worse fail.

I don't think the touch pad on the back will be awkward as long as the system isnt too elongated (ie the average 13 year old kid could reach the track pad). My fingers usally rest where the pad would be anyway. There's really no difference in what your hand motions would be, and i'm sure there woudl be some sort of cursor representing your touches. The only thing that may be hard to do, like dmitry said, is doing the touch pad and the top lt/rt keys. I wonder if they will move those to the back as well.

Can't wait for more news. I'm a total nerd when it comes to technology rumors. :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:47 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Getting rid of the UMDs will be fine as long as every developer is on board to release their games digitally.

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Digially will be good, but as for 3G you know how greedy cell phone company are when you have to add that to plan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It's real bitches:

More as it develops.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:03 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

can it make phone calls? can internet access make phone calls for it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:22 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I gotta go to work soon, no time to write up til later. Go check Kotaku or Engadget or something for info for now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

They've been calling this thing the "NGP" (Next-Gen Portable) but the name doesn't sound entirely official yet.

Sony haven't given us a price nor a date, but heres the specs:

Quote:
■ CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
■ GPU: SGX543MP4+
■ External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
■ Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
■ Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
■ Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
■ Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
■ Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
■ Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
■ Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP

Really huge picture

Quote:
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES ITS NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Ultimate Portable Entertainment System Makes Its Debut This Year,
Further Expanding the PlayStation® Business in the Portable Gaming Market

Tokyo, January 27, 2011– Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation®. This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE’s experience from both PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®3 (PS3®) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation’s DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to “encounter,” “connect,” “discover,” “share” and “play” with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.

・Stunning OLED and Revolutionary User Interface

NGP incorporates a beautiful multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display. A high-performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system, for both games and other digital entertainment content. The new system also incorporates a unique multi-touch pad on the rear, and together with the front touch display, NGP offers new game play allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through “touch, grab, trace, push and pull” moves of the fingers.

・Super Oval Design and Dual Analog Sticks

While succeeding the basic design philosophy of PSP, NGP adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, created to fit comfortably in users’ hands. For the first time, a portable entertainment system will feature two analog sticks, which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.

・LiveArea™

Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called “LiveArea™” where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation®Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an “Activity” log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

・Near

SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called “Near,” developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

・New Game Medium

NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for Android™ based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

SCE will vigorously promote NGP towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.

EDIT:

Size comparison - With a 5 inch screen, this thing is BIG people.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

So far I've read that the new handheld is most definately compatible with PSP games if you bought them from the Playstation Store, since it has no UMD drive. This has cermented whether I'll be buying the retail or download version of Dissidia 012 in March (and Agito eventually).

A representative at the show supposedly confirmed that the device will release with two SKUs: A 3G enabled device, and a WiFi only version.

Here's footage from the reveal conference. The game "sizzle" reel is at about 4:30 if thats what you wanna skip to:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm 

ket is PSP2 going to having 3G and WiFi verson as both or only 3G verson stand alone or Wifi verson stand alone?

This PSP2 is going to kick ass!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:24 am 

ROFL I loved that kioko.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 am 
Yarr's bane
Yarr's bane

From what i'm hearing it will have 2 models. One 3g and one wifi. Honestly i can only see the wifi verison being worthwhile. The 3g model will just make this thing last an hour at best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'm pretty sure Wi-fi drains more battery power than 3G does. At least it sure as hell does on my phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:10 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Officially named, PSP VITA at e3.

Wifi only $249/ 3G version $299

Very competatively priced. However, there's a big catch. 3G data service is exclusive to AT&T (entire audience laughed and booed at this, was funny). So sony basically screwed the pooch on that one. No word yet on AT&T pricing. I'm hoping they will take pity and make a very cheap PSP only plan that's not capped rediculously low or throttled into unusefulness. Let's hope!

Sony did a wise thing and actually filmed people playing games, rather than just slapping rendered trailers on the big screen. It showed off how really impressive the oled screen is, and despite the unit being much heftier than the original psp, it still looked like it was comfortable in their hands.

Switching between traditional buttons and touch screen seemed awkward to me, but it appeared at least for the two games they demo'ed on stage either method was completely optional.

Overall I'm impressed. Name could have been better, but then after "wii u" was reveiled, somehow "vita" became a whole notch cooler. I'd even venture to say 20% cooler.

Sony boasted a list that basically every game company has come on board to produce for vita, I hope they have a lot of games spread across various genre. I had a few psp's at launch and maybe only 3 games for the entire life of the system. The psp was also a pretty nifty device and impressive for its time, but i think fell flat from being only ports or redundant games due to limitations. Cloud service I'm hoping will open up games to being more lengthy and story orientated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:17 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Hhhmm. I think I'll stick with my DS for my handheld. The PS3 rocks, though.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion