It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Anyone know anything about Rift?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:37 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

Been looking at this game on sale at gamestop for 10 dollars off (i also have a 20 dollar gift card) and was curious if anyone knew anything about it. I've tried to fish around random forums and so far have been told its alot like vanilla wow with a bad ass class system. reading about the class system on the website seems really interesting. Was curious if anyone could give me some feedback on it

Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about Rift?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Pie Napple was the only one who has mentioned anything about it. Iolanthe, or however you spell her name. I think the general opinion people had in LS chat was that if you wanted to play WoW, you should just play WoW, 'cause at least it's guaranteed to be around for awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

Well i think im gonna check it out. If anyone else gets bored and whats to come to the same server i'm on PM me or post and ill let u know where i am and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

So did we lose Fat Tina to the break too?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

nah i stopped playing mostly 3-4 weeks before the break even happened. Just been having trouble finding any sort of fun in the game lately. I feel like the main thing keeping me on there is the CKD group, also the only reason i haven't uninstalled, and that the group would have twice as much fun on any half baked MMO thats been made. messing around on other games and rift has really made me realize just how bad of a shape FFXIV is in lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

youll be back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

I've been playing for a couple weeks, I do like the class system, except for you can't really change to much(from warrior to mage for example), but you can tweek your character(from solo player to group player) by using "rolls". I've never played WoW, so I can't compair the two. So far I've done well solo, raids need large groups, and I don't want to deal with that. The solo part is okay, can kill a few lvls above me(21), and there are plenty of quests that give gear. I am still a noob, b/c I don't research the game or talk to anyone, just play casual.
I'll probably try out 14, just because, and then decied which to play. Plus I don't think Rift is going away anytime soon either, but I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

who all did we lose to the break anyway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

I broke down and picked this up tonight. I plan on checking out this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:22 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Whisp and you. I havent seen Corwin in game though since the break.

Im not sure its the break thats driving people away as much as the lack of any real heavy updates in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Yea...getting ronery.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

if anyone else is interested in checking out rift it looks like were gonna converge on the PVP server Nyx, defiant side. feel free to post or aim me or something if ur interested or wanna know more about the game from what ive seen so far in 2 days

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Id rather play wow than Rift. This game looks fucking generic. At least FFXIV keeps the unique ff MMO feel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

ive been hearing that alot from people. alot of people don't want to give it a chance because it looks generic and too much like wow, which is almost what drove me away. The thing i read that changed my mind to at least try it was that alot of people were saying its more like the original wow, than what was has become now. And i loved the original wow and played it until the expansion came out.

Rift does take alot of elements from wow. But it also adds alot of unique elements that wow didn't do that to me make it a better game. It uses the same basic concept of quest grinding for lvling except it throws extra stuff at you to break up the monotony of just solid quest grinding. It's made lvling much more enjoyable for me than wows ever was.

Ill have to make it to endgame to see anything about story, pvp balance, or exactly how endgame is structured, but so far im lvl 20 and it seems to have taken wows lvling base and added alot to make it much more interesting and fun.

Oh and also, i fucking love the class system, 4 char archetypes (warrior, rogue, cleric, mage) but each archetype has 8 subclasses which are all unique classes of there own. So in total you have 32 classes, and you can have 8 classes per char and u only have to lvl once to access them all. it's quite a bit more detailed than that, but i don't care to flood the page with anymore info haha.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 pm 

Yarr wrote:
Whisp and you. I havent seen Corwin in game though since the break.

Im not sure its the break thats driving people away as much as the lack of any real heavy updates in the near future.

I've had to work all but three nights since the servers came back up. I logged in Saturday night for like ten minutes, but quickly realized I had no interest in spending 3+ hours on the same levee I've been doing for months now. This last patch kinda sealed the deal for me. I'm not completely giving up, but checking out a whole new world is a lot more appealing right now. I never played wow, so I can't say if its a clone or not, but the rift system sounds like fun.

When ffxiv adds some content I'll probably be back to check it out. And if I'm needed for NMs or something I don't mind jumping on. Just pm me here or message me on steam.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

You're already 20 fat? I've been playing 2 weeks and only 21(but I don't play much). Have you XPed in a group yet? I've only done solo/quests, and some group rifts. I'm still figuring the game out since my play time is low(damn you school!) But I do like the soul/roll set up, except you can't go from warrior to mage ect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:03 am 
DL Hughley

Yarr wrote:

In terms of disappearing:

Myself and a close ffxi friend of mine have barely been back on since servers went back up. Despite how hardcore we get into the game, losing a week, or even a few days really makes you realize how easy it is to say fuck it. I just started my own linkshell though, full of really cool people I never actually have to lead around. I'm the shittiest member, it's an oddly satisfying feeling to know that a group I snatched together is surpassing everything I could have hoped for or could personally live up to at this point. I think it's super.

The core of my group is people I've known for years, all members who joined after are close friends of theirs. The game is still fun and I have fun with all of them, so we'll ease back in but yeah, a week can really killya. I work nights at the bar and generally I'm miserable and want to die so logging in can seem like a hassle but generally it ends up enjoyable.

generally generally generally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:50 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

ive spent the whole time duoing with dinarii. We played for 2 days while he was off work and then for about 3 hours tonight. were now 22 halfway to 23. We focused mostly on just following the quest line and hit any rifts we saw in our direct area. Also hit most of the invasions and 1 massive invasion so far. Just tonight we ran iron tomb instance for the first time. seemed about what i'd expect from a lowbie instance. i think it took about 45 minutes and both of us left with 4 upgraded pieces of gear, so was a worthy experience between the quests and the bosses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

just thought id post this real quick.

Rift is having a free trial event this weekend only. apparently people with accounts can give out free trial codes so ppl can try the game for the weekend. If anyones interested in trying out rift for a couple days for free then leave a post and ill try to get u some trial codes

edit: after reading about it, it says theyre emailing out codes but not everyone has got one. so im not sure if theyre sending out more or if it was just selective but looks like i didnt get anything as of yet. either way ill keep an eye out for some extra codes if anyones interested, i still may be able to find a few

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:54 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Well I just got this for 30bucks.
Whats you guys name btw?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:46 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

my priest is zacorus, warrior is kilios

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Might be tempting to try. Does the game take advantage of SLI'd GPUs?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

im gonna be honest, im not highly aware of what games take advantage of what as far as hardware goes. i kind of stopped tracking that due to the fact that my machine is around 6 years old, and using a bunch of random parts ppl hooked me up with just to play these games on minimum. I cant really afford a new machine so ive kinda been out of the loop.

Hopefully kayne can come in here and post something about it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Dunno if it takes advantage of SLI, but sometimes it feels kinda laggy for some reason with camera movements, etc. I think they just gotta fix their engine up a bit. This is with an i7 950 oc'd to around 3.8 ghz, 6 gigs of ddr3 1600 oc'd to around 1670ish, a GTX 580 and a SSD RAID0 config, which runs FFXIV at max fps pretty much all the time using max settings (cept for the new sliders which lag everyone).

In any case it's not gonna look as good as FFXIV but at least the combat/questing is more fun which is what counts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:31 am 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Whats your guys soul set up?

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion