It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:29 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Minecraft
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

:yuno: Y U BE SO ADDICTIVE

So I played it last night, 4 hours later I was still playing it. now I know what all the fuss was about.

Post subject: Re: Minecraft
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Explain this game for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:40 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

As I understand it, it's kinda like playing with Lego in an randomly/procedurally generated MMO-like (but single player or multiplayer private server) infinite sized world. Monsters come out at night but you can mine and build houses to keep the monsters out.

You mine blocks for materials, craft blocks into building pieces, then place blocks to build things like houses or caves or castles or cities or whatever. Depending on how much time you have on your hands, you can build anything from a little house to an entire 1:1 scale model of the USS Enterprise. There's loads of pictures out there of people making entire castles and cities and stuff, but they must take a shitload of hours to do.

Supposed to be like playing with Lego, you just make/do whatever the hell you want.

(Disclaimer: I've not played Minecraft, but I've watched videos because I was curious about it.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

its a sandbox builder. ALot of people refer to it as a creativity tool more than a game.

You create your char and the world randomly generated around you (all the worlds are randomly generated). The entire game is made up of destroyable cubes that are 1 meter in size. Every time you destroy a cube, you get it as a building material. Destroy a patch of dirt, get a block of dirt to build with. same with wood, etc.

As you progress you create crafting tables to turn materials into better materials. Wood becomes planks, can be used to create hatches/pickaxes/shovels. Better material you find, the better your tools, the faster your work becomes.

The entire thing becomes an obsession about digging around gathering stuff and building random shit out of it. So far ive built like half a cobblestone castle, a giant japanese pagoda, a large minecart system linking them, and some other misc little things.

From what i've seen, the only people who dont seem to get really addicted to it are people who sit there and can't think of shit to build. So if you fail at creativity it may not be for you.

Also theres a day night cycle, which i think is 20 minute day / 10 minute night. At night monsters randomly spawn everywhere and will fuck you up until yo uget armor/weapons made. Once u craft a bed and make the location well lit and secure u can just sleep through the night to force it back to day though.

TL;DR It's like legos where you have to actually work to gather the blocks in an infinite randomly generated world while a bunch of monsters come out at night and try to destroy you and your shit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

At first I was not sure if I would like this game or not. while standing around in uldah I decided to give it a try. :challengeaccepted: after a while it became addictive. digging and building keeping monsters from destroying my stuff (the explode when you get close to some)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:31 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

omg. Yah. Kitty and I were playing this yesterday. The exploding monsters annoy the hell out of me, though.

I have a few questions for some of you experts, though.

I thought all monsters would disappear during the day, but there always seems to be a few of those exploding F'ers left that always end up blowing up around my base, forcing me to rebuild. Am I missing something, or is this just an annoying thing I need to accept?

For what it's worth, I built my first room into the side of a mountain, so they'd always spawn above me. I've since completely leveled the mountain (lol), so now I have a fort sticking up out of the ground, which rocks. Maybe the mobs won't be too big of an issue now.

Can you play multiplayer for free? Kitty and I aren't sure if we want to buy the game, but we are really interested in working on a map together.

Would be interesting to have a CKD server, but the only problem I foresee is accidentally digging into eachother's basements and stuff. Kitty and I think we have a plan ready for dealing with it that would work with two people, but adding 3+ may be tricky.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I heard monsters can spawn anywhere it's dark. So at night time they spawn everywhere, but they can spawn around in the daytime in caves or in areas you haven't lit up with torches.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah. if you put a ton of torches out in the open, or in a cave, or whatever, then monsters won't spawn there. But they can spawn elsewhere and then walk into it, maybe. I'm not sure how far monsters move from their spawn points. I think the main problem I had was just that the stupid guys woudl spawn on the top of the hill in which I built my cave. Then I'd walk out in the morning, all refreshed, and they'd drop down and explode, and then I'd have to rebuild the front part of my cave door.

lol. Kinda funny the first time, but then I got annoyed. Just started flooring it out of my door in the morning to try and get away from explosions

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:58 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

best bet for something like that is to light up the top of the mountain so they cant spawn up there. Multiplayer is free but you need to have a server to host it from. If i remember right dinarii rented us a server for under 10 bucks a month, tho ill have to ask him later today what the exact price was. As far as digging into each others basements we didnt have too much of an issue. due to the fact that the world is infinite we just kept a fair distance between our bases. At some point we actually hit underground cave systems that we explored for several hours and they ended up being linked which we actually found kinda cool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I downloaded the beta server software, and I got it running on my machine. I didn't set up any port forwarding, however, so I doubt external people can connect to it. That being said, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea.

I didn't see of a free way to connect to the server, since when I attempted to log in with the regular client, it said it wasn't premium. I ended up just shelling out the 20 bucks to play around with it.

Sucks having to start over, but at least I didn't put too much work into the browser copy of the game. Ended up building my new "base" in the ocean. haha. I dug two water deep around the foundation for my fort. Those exploding F'ers explosions don't seem to cause damage in water, so I haven't had to rebuild anything.

I just dug down a bit and am slowly making cobblestone rooms a few meters under water. I'm just going to make a ton of chests and then sneak out during the day to gather lots of resources and store them in the chests, while I slowly clear the nearby land.

Ultimately I want to make a big base further inland, but I'm having fun just messing around. If people end up getting this and want to mess around on a "CKD" minecraft server, I can look into port forwarding and see what happens. You may need to buy the game, though. Not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:21 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

we tried locally running a server on our machines and it ended up pretty laggy but it could have just been something on our end. if you guys ever make a public server ill mess around on it for sure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:50 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Still been plucking away on this lately. There's three of us now on the server. Kitty and I and then a RL friend. First big thing I did was made a huge tower with 5x5 sized cardinal directions on it (at two separate heights), and it has since been affectionately called Compass Tower. It acts as a center-ish landmark for us, since we are trying to build/expand out in opposite directions. As long as a portion of the base can see compass tower, then it makes it a bit easier to remember where the other players are.

I still don't see how 20 people would play on the server together, though. Would have to be very trustworthy of having people not mess around with your stuff, or build into your base. But it is more fun playing on a shared server, since I'll go to work, come back, and I'll see a portion of someone's base change. Kind of like watching an ant farm.

I think ultimately we'll try and link up our various areas with some sort of tunnel/subway system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

btw u can actually just craft a compass that always points to the spawn area lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:07 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, I know that there's a compass item, though I haven't crafted it yet. I still think the tower is kinda useful, since it tells you what direction of the tower you currently see. So I could go, "Fatty, just stay on the north side of the tower, and i'll build on the south side." and then we wouldn't have our crap overlapping too much.

All three of us are pretty close to eachother, though, so we're going to have to do some major exploration/expansion.

If we had to do it over again, I'd probably opt for us to build a simple sharable house/building first and then work on some sort of road system to link our places together that was pretty long, so we were immediately connected together, but had tons of free space.

I came up with a raised road system that is spider-proof now, so I'm happy with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:08 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

no screenshots?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:40 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

A photo of my old server me and rushal made.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It's nothing too impressive, Yarr, but I'll try to remember to take some screenshots later. haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:19 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

lol awesome Pix appearance and a wicked shot to go with it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:25 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kind of (un)related:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:46 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

oh god i hate mimes lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:52 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ketrebu wrote:
Kind of (un)related:

lol hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:06 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

ROFL!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

looks like 3D dot game heroes (best game ever, PLAY IT).

I might check this out actually, it sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

v1.5 came out a few days ago. There's weather effects, that while blocky (like everything else), are actually handled better than FF14. lol. Rain falls (and bounces up from), individual blocks, and it's not just a single layer drawn in front of everything else, like snow/rain is in FF14. Course it's not really a slam on FF14, since it has way more going on in terms of graphics. Just moreso a silly observation.

Thunder can hit pits and and turn them into zombie pigman. Haven't seen this yet, but the thunder effects/sounds were cool enough to the point it actually upset my dogs last night, 'cause it sounded so real. haha

Also, they added powered rails and detector rails, so you can have a permanently charged rail line that will let you travel at 8 m/s. I haven't played much with rails yet, but I look forward to doing so.

I'll really try to get some screenshots going this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:24 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

rid can i get your server info? id like to check it out if you guys are still playing when i get back from my cruise

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion