It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: No im not getting Portal 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Quit asking!

Wow this portal 2 game seems to be a big deal. who is getting it? :smug:

Post subject: Re: No im not getting Portal 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:47 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I will after I get bored of Borderlands.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Minecraft has become my secondary obsession. I'm still making sure to do leves, but I think relaxing a bit from the 4+ hours a night play time will do me some good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:17 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Good call Ridere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

This game is fucking genius. The voice acting is brilliant, I fucking love Wheatley - it's like having a robot Ket with you at all times.

This is probably the only game I've ever felt bad about pirating, so I actually uninstalled it and bought it on Steam. It's that good. I didn't even do that with Fallout 3 which I really, really liked. The thing is, I didn't even get past the basic shit and I feel this way, so imagine when I actually get to the gel parts, etc.

I have a feeling this will be the best $50 I've spent in a while, even if the game only lasts 8-10 hours like people say it does. Can always play co-op anyway, plus I have a feeling I'll be replaying it for the achievements, and possibly Portal 1 too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ill probbaly grab it eventually. I cant get it today. Im home sick from work. I have a few people from work on Steam and I dont want them thinking I called in sick to play portal 2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Borderlands is an amazing game btw. I want to play the newer expansions, i've only played the zombie island expansion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

the game was exceptionally polished, but for me it just wasnt long enough. I cleared single player and coop in a combined 10 hours total. As well polished as it was, I just have a hard time swallowing dropping 5 dollars per hour of gameplay.

To top it off, the replay value is pretty low because its a puzzle game, so once you beat it, you know the answers to all the puzzles. I could probably replay the whole thing in half the time but there's not a whole lot of extra exploration or alternate solutions to the puzzles so whats the point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Youre just too good at puzzle games then Fatty, everyone here at my job loves it and they dont seem to think its too short.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:20 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Fatty's experience does kind of call to why I haven't gotten too into those games. I'll drop a buck to buy a puzzle game for my iPhone, but I don't think I'd pay for a full-priced console puzzle game, especially if people beat it in like 10 hours. For me, a lot of puzzle games lacked replay value.

Seems like it'd be a fun game to play once, but that's it. Not worth 50 bucks, imo. I think I'll get way more time/money investment from the 21 bucks I dropped on minecraft. haha.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:25 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

After finally playing Portal 1 (which I had on my account for free due to a promotion a year ago and never playing it) I decided to cave in and buy Portal 2 too. Portal 1 took me like 2 hours, Portal 2 about 7 hours.

Gotta say, the whole thing was great.

I still haven't played Half-Life 2 (or it's episodes) so I probably missed out on a lot of references down in the basement area. Though I did recognise Black Mesa mentioned as stealing their technology.

Just a few of my favourite and/or spoilery bits:

Spoiler: show
"Oh hi. How are you holding up? Because I'M A POTATO!"

Wheatley was great overall. Oddly I really didn't see the twist coming. Then the very moment your escape lift stops and he's like "Actually....." it was suddenly just like uh oh shoulda saw this coming. Especially liked his not quite articulate enough insults: "Fatty fatty no parents!"

"Holmes vs Moriaty. Aristotle vs MASHY SPIKE PLATE!"

GLaDOS: "This is the part where he kills us."
Wheatley: "Hello! This is the part where I kill you."
CHAPTER 9: THE PART WHERE HE KILLS YOU
Achievement Unlocked: The part where he kills you: This is that part.

Ending spoiler:

What the hell at the MOON! I don't even know why I did that. It was just like, there's the moon, gotta shoot a portal at it, didn't even think about it, nor did I expect it to actually work. Though I have my reservations about how you could actually survive this. You're basically sucked out into space, on the moon, with no kind of suit or anything else. The air pressure alone should probably have instantly killed you, regardless of being 4-5 feet from a portal to Earth's atmosphere.

I'm rather sad about what happens to Wheatley in the end though. I was kinda hoping he'd be back to his normal southern-british silly old self once disconnected from the system. Then seeing him all sorry in space and THEN replacing the main menu with his stuck-in-space self was sad.

Subtle overarching theory spoiler speculation stuff:

So as I understood it: While down stuck in the 70s basement thing, there's a lot of pre-recorded messages from Cave Johnson, the (original) CEO of Aperture Science. And he has a thing for his secretary Caroline.

A rather serious thing because he was prepared to put her in charge of the company once he was gone, if she wasn't his wife, then or eventually, there could have at least been some kind of affair going on there.

In the daycare center, theres a whole bunch of science experiments wired up to potatoes and stuff, and a banner that says "Bring your daughter to work day!". There's also one experiment that's gone completely out of control. If you look closely, that experiment is signed "Chell", you. Additionally, there's a message if you look extremely closely that says "special ingredient from dad's work". This is bring your daugher to work day after all, it seems entirely possible that Cave Johnson is Chell's dad.

In one of the recordings it's revealed that Cave Johnson is sick and dying and has asked the "lab boys" to start coming up with a way to copy himself into an AI. This is around the time he also says to put Caroline, the secretary, in charge if he doesn't live long enough to see them finish inventing it. It's implied that this is what happens, and Caroline is who eventually ends up as an AI -- GLaDOS. This part at least is pretty much fact, it's outright told to you by GLaDOS at the end if you didn't figure it out from the weird responses coming out of your potato.

Dad is CEO Cave Johnson, he's possibly romantically linked to Caroline, the secretary. Caroline is GLaDOS.

Ergo, GLaDOS is actually your mother?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Ketrebu wrote:

Ending spoiler:

What the hell at the MOON! I don't even know why I did that. It was just like, there's the moon, gotta shoot a portal at it, didn't even think about it, nor did I expect it to actually work. Though I have my reservations about how you could actually survive this. You're basically sucked out into space, on the moon, with no kind of suit or anything else. The air pressure alone should probably have instantly killed you, regardless of being 4-5 feet from a portal to Earth's atmosphere.

I'm rather sad about what happens to Wheatley in the end though. I was kinda hoping he'd be back to his normal southern-british silly old self once disconnected from the system. Then seeing him all sorry in space and THEN replacing the main menu with his stuck-in-space self was sad.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:26 am 
Spammer, to the max!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBT_d_o2EDQ

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:11 am 
Spammer, to the max!

More Cave Johnson:

Too bad the quality sucks ass =p

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kayne, are you space?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Lol at the youtube comments to that!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:27 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Ketrebu wrote:
Kayne, are you space?

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:57 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

I'll be getting this game just for hell of it.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion