It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:42 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Now that I finally finished this, I feel like I can write up a little something for DL.

This game is about a young boy, who meets with the King on his birthday as a tradition in his home town. The king asks him to rescue his daughter from the witch to the north and that is how the story begins.

This game is just a typical RPG. I think the art is kinda cute for a Final Fantasy game and not trying to be super realistic or more grown-up. The game is a bit slow starting out due to the party members all going in different directions and having to play through as each person for a while. Eventually the game picks up and became a lot of fun for me. There world isn't huge, especially after you gain the ability to travel around faster, but each of the towns had a distinct feel to them.

The battle system is a simplified turn based one. There's no MP in the game, only AP. You get a total of 5 AP at a given time, and each move takes different amounts. You regain 1 AP each turn, but under certain circumstances in can be increased to 2 or more. I didn't like in the battle system how you can't choose your target, but it's simplified enough where that usually doesn't matter anyway. Healing can be a pain this way though.

Eventually, your full party will contain the 4 main characters, and you can equip different crowns which serve as the job system. There are some classic jobs such as white mage and black mage, as well as some variety of new-ish ones. The crown you wear determines your abilities you can use, and provide bonuses, like a white mage will have a 1 AP reduction for all white magic they use. You gain more abilities by enhancing the crowns, not by levelling up.

Crowns and equipment can be upgraded using gems, which you find from defeating monsters or using abilities. Each crown has 3 tiers that it can be upgraded to, and the gems used go up each tier.

As you're adventuring there are some little minigames to play, like a math game used to unlock something, you can run a shop and try to sell your extra stuff, or you can look for hidden treasures in the different towns. There are also wireless games you can play, but I don't know what they are.

There are also sort of achievements, where the art at the game start screen will fill in after you accomplish certain things. It's a fun way to track your progress, but it sucks because you can miss some things early on if you're not looking for them or aren't OCD about collecting everything.

All in all, I enjoyed this game right up to the very end, until I spent 4 hours or so trying to beat the final boss. The game is moderately difficult on it's own, and I believe the enemies scale with your level. It has an old school feel to it where you're not directly told where to go, but have to talk to town people to get hints. They also sometimes provides hints to bosses as well.

Overall, I want to give this game a 6.5/10. It's not a must have by any means, but I felt it was worth playing through. It sucks having only one save file though. I'd have to check my playtime with the NPC in game, but I believe it was over 30 hours if not more. It has moderate replay value, as there are bonus dungeons you can complete before or after you finish the game to unlock more crowns and the rare weapons like Excalibur. These towers also give you an item which allows you to upgrade your armor even more. I didn't get around to any towers yet, but I read they are more difficult than the last boss.

tl;dr.

Overall: 6.5/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Sound: 8.5/10
Story: 6/10
Replay value: moderately low

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:28 pm 
DL Hughley

Cool, I was thinking about this game again last week as I haven't played the DS much lately. I'll check it out.

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:03 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm putting my DS down for a little while. The hinge just went out on my lite so I traded it in to get a 3DS, but I think I may leave that boxed up until some games for it come out. The only game for the DS I haven't played that I've gotten lately is Sonic Colors, and I figure I'll save that for when I don't have a ton of time to play and can just have a few fun levels.

Plus I gotta play Birth By Sleep and all the Metal Gear games, plus Dissidia 2 and all the Parasite Eve games on my PSP >.<

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion