It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:25 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Terraria - 2D Minecraft/RPG/Platformer/Castlevania Thing
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:29 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

EDIT:

I'm hosting dedicated server for this game, it's running 24/7 (Except when my internet blows up). Don't be an asshole and ruin other people's stuff and everyone is free to jump on and mess around. It's mainly just Me, Yarr and Panther though.

Address: 77.103.90.37
Port: (default)
Password: (three letter linkshell initials)

-----------------

Anyone else see this? It's not out yet, supposed to come out in the next month. (June at the latest I heard.)

It's like someone mashed up a 2D version of everything. Lots of people say it's just a rip off of Minecraft, but while it obviously draws on it, the emphasis is more on mine and dungeon crawling and stuff. Been watching a lot of (hours and hours of) "lets plays" on youtube for it lately and I'm definately very interested.

The guy actually only started making it in January. And seems to be following the Minecraft development route of "lots of new shit every couple days".

This is the trailer they released a couple weeks ago and ever since this there's been a lot of interest over the net for this game. Even Notch (Minecraft guy) tweeted about it. Watch the whole 4 minutes as it shows off a lot of stuff:

Because Minecraft is obviously the thing a lot of people compare this to, I thought i'd list a few "differences from Minecraft" here:
  • The world is randomly generated, but not infinite like Minecraft. However, it's still really huge. Something like 3 miles across and down.
  • Your character and his personal inventory persists across servers and worlds. If you join a friend on their world, you bring your gear and inventory along with you, and anything you find/get you can keep and take back. This even lets you trade stuff.
  • Similarly, if you generate a new world, your character can jump between them and bring items and gear back and forth.
  • If you make rooms, houses, towns, castles, etc: NPCs might move into them and even set up shops.
  • There is a lot more emphasis on combat as opposed to just mining and building stuff. Monsters spawn everywhere (except your houses, etc) and all of the time. Day/night just changes what kind of mobs spawn, and deep mining is actually quite hazardous to do without someone watching your back constantly. Occasionally you get a "blood moon" which is a night where mobs spawn relentlessly.
  • Lots of loot and accessories and stuff can be found by mining into dungeons that you can equip to bestow you new abilities like double jumping, magic spells, grapling hooks, rocket boots, etc. Wearing armor sets give you additional abilities.

I'm definately gonna at least give it a try once it's out. I might be able to answer any questions if people have some since I've watched so much of this thing on youtube.

Post subject: Re: Terraria - 2D Minecraft/RPG/Platformer/Castlevania Thing
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Hah, looks interesting. I'm hoping that minecraft gets a lot of neat features in the future. I'm not sure I'd want that fight-heavy of a game, however. I do enjoy building stuff that is monster-proof (or resistant), though.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:02 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

willing to give it a try, sad that it has more content than ff14 lol

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

neat!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:04 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

This game's coming out on Monday (May 16th), it's going to be on Steam (Steamworks) and will be $9.99. (Though it's possibly a first-week-only sale price and it'll be $15 afterwards.)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Game looks fun, I'll probably get it.

I think the lighting/fog of war looks terrible underground though. It's too dynamic and distracting as you move around. I really hate it D:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/871200/

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:10 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Game is out, spent last night playing it along with Kio. My little stone fort so far:

I saw this hit the #1 seller spot on Steam last night. It's quite popular.

The game has been released a few weeks early (to combat a beta leak) and so has a couple of things missing right now but will be patched in soon. For example, the Steam integration isn't complete yet, so you can't just join/invite other people to multiplayer directly, you have to run two copies of the game (one as a server) and then forward a port on your router and get the other person to join via an IP. It works and in a couple weeks it should be all fixed to work normally through Steam.

I stayed up quite late last night playing this, I'm extremely tired at work today, lol. Looking forward to getting home to carry on dig dig digging!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:47 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

word of wisdom, don't put table and chairs on the first floor. The squatter npcs that move in were raised in a barn and like to open the doors in the middle of an enemy barrage.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol. I'm still not sure I need to be playing two of these types of games, but it does look interesting.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

More spelunking antics. Was playing all on my lonesome today, so I spent a hell of a lot of time exploring a huge cave and mining tons of various ore.

Mining some Iron Ore:

I found a sword called the "Starfury" in a chest. This sword makes stars rain down from the sky when you swing it! Looks cool but it drains your mana super fast and once you're out of mana it doesnt even let you swing the sword anymore, lol, so you gotta carry a backup. It also doesn't work underground.

The Eye of Cthulu decided to attack me for some reason. Bosses are supposed to only attack when summoned, so I'm not sure why this guy popped out of nowhere. But I tried out my new Starfury on it, kinda handy for hitting stuff up in the air. Once I ran out of mana though I had to resort to throwing hundreds of Shurikens at it.

And finally, here's me building a tower on top of my little fort house thing.

And then putting a top on it. I mined about 1000 stone blocks and ended up using them all.

I'm playing this game way too much, lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 pm 

nice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Bored at work, here's some tips for anyone starting out, since I think a few other people may have bought this.

Tips

• Much like Minecraft, you need to have a workbench/crafting table to do anything except very basic crafting. You can craft things (including the workbench) by hitting Esc and looking in the lower left corner. Things you can craft automatically appear in the list if you're carrying the items required to make it. To use a workbench, just place it on the floor. You only have to be standing near the workbench to make use of it, you don't need to click it.
  • Torches are made from Wood and Slime Gel. There should be plenty slimes to kill around your spawn point. You can kill them with your pickaxe but it's a lot more efficient to make a sword out of wood or something. You can hold a torch and it will illuminate your current area as you run around. You don't have to place them down, but it's recommended you do because you can't fight with a torch in your hand.
  • Torches and light don't prevent monsters spawning. The light is just so you can see since caves are basically pitch black and moonlight isn't bright enough to help you see. Houses must have a light source inside them to attract NPCs.
  • Although you start with an Axe and a Pickaxe, you also need to craft yourself a hammer which you don't start with. It's needed to remove "background layer" objects such as walls, and more importantly Life Crystals (Increase your Maximum HP).
  • If you die, you'll drop your money but nothing else. Leave your money at home, but it's safe to carry everything else with you, you won't lose it even if you fall into lava. (Though if you actually throw an item into Lava, it'll be destroyed.)
  • Make yourself a small house/shelter near your starting point. It needs to have a background wall to prevent monsters spawning inside of it. A dirt wall doesn't count, make it out of wood or stone. You can get mountains of wood very fast by just cutting down a few trees at the base.
  • To make a door, cut a 3-tile-high hole in a wall and place the door on the floor in the gap. You can craft doors using wood at the workbench. Right click the door to open and close it.
  • To change your spawn point, put a bed in your house and right click it. You can make beds using 5 Silk, which come from 10 Cobwebs each (easily found in caves), and some wood. The bed must be inside a fully enclosed room with a background wall and a light source to work (ie: a house). You can't just bring a bed with you into a cave and use it to set your spawn point there.
  • Wooden Platforms made from wood can be made without a workbench, and can be passed through both ways. You can jump up through them and press down to fall through them. This is handy for making "floors" or "ladders" in your house, and also handy for scaling areas inside caves.
  • If you find yourself trapped in deep water and slowly drowning with no quick way out, quickly dig into the wall and then dig upwards. This will create a pocket of air you can breathe in.

Useful Items/Accessories to Find or Work Towards
  • Mining Helmet - You can buy this head-slot item from the Merchant for 8 gold. While it's equipped, you give off light from your character (a bit less than a torch) which is immensely useful at nighttime and while underground.
  • Grappling Hook - A "Hook" is a rare drop from Skeletons. Combine a hook with 3 Iron Chains to make a Grappling Hook, which allows you to hoist yourself up and around caves and cliffs very quickly and easily. Skeletons are found relatively deep underground, in the "rock" layer.
  • Potions - You can make HP restoring potions from mushrooms, slime gel, and bottles. You can make bottles from glass which you can craft from sand. Basic potions can be carried in stacks of 30 and heal 100HP. There is a cooldown timer of about 10 seconds before you can drink another potion. To make potions you need an Alchemy Station, by placing an empty bottle on a table.
  • Cloud in a Bottle - Found randomly inside chests, this accessory allows you to Double Jump while equipped. Gives you a lot more mobility while navigating caves.
  • Band of Regeneration - Your HP does not regen on it's own unless you equip one of these, it'll regen on it's own slowly. The effect stacks; so equipping more of them will make it regen quicker. These are found randomly inside chests.
  • Flipper - This accessory allows you to jump an unlimited number of times while under water (ie: Swim). Until you get this or a Grappling Hook, it's recommended you stay out of any deep water or you'll probably drown.

Multiplayer

To play Multiplayer for now (until Steam integration is added in a few weeks) you have to:

1) Forward port 31337 to your computer from your router.
2) Run Terraria and select Host Multiplayer. Choose your world and the server will start. Windows Firewall may try to block this.
3) Minimise this "Dedicated Server".
4) Return to Steam and ren Terraria again. Steam will happily let you run two copies.
5) Use the second copy to connect to your own server. I had to use my Internet IP (and not 127.0.0.1) to make this work.
6) Tell your friends your Internet IP.
  • Your character's main inventory and equipment is carried across worlds. So you can join someone elses server, bring things with you, and take anything you find back home.
  • While in Multiplayer, the inventory screen has 5 "gems" above your equipment. These are teams/parties. Anyone who selects the same team/party will be able to see each other's HP and an on-screen indicator of where people are.
  • Clicking the "swords" icon enables and disables PvP, it's off by default. Even with PvP off it is possible to accidentally kill each other with bombs and dynamite.
  • Anything stored inside a Chest can be taken by anybody else. For secure storage, buy a Piggy Bank from the Merchant for 1 gold. The Piggy Bank is global across all worlds and instanced to whichever player tries to open it. No matter what world you are on, looking inside a Piggy Bank will show you only your items. If you're on a friends server and he has a piggy bank, you can look inside it to get at your own stuff you left back home.

Happy Digging!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So I bought this last night to give it a test drive. I really wish they would have had some sort of free demo version, like minecraft had, though.

The game is pretty fun. I agree that it's a lot more action-based than building based. I didn't get to test too much stuff, but from reading what Ket posted, I'm really interested in the idea of being able to buy crap from NPCs.

I really wish Minecraft had npcs that'd move in and offer to barter/exchange dirt/cobblestone for other more rare things, like gold, and iron.

Overall, I still prefer building things in minecraft, but this game is probably worth 10 bucks. I'll continue to poke around on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:47 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ridere wrote:
I really wish they would have had some sort of free demo version, like minecraft had, though.

For anyone else on the fence, there's a torrent of a leaked beta version floating around somewhere.

For all intents and purposes what you'll end up with is the whole game with some older sprites and a few missing features and stuff. Until the retail game starts getting some content updates there's not a lot of difference between them. This game wasn't meant to come out for another month, but the beta leak forced them to rush the release out.

Minecraft building will probably always be better, simply because it's in 3D and if you're looking to make some giant impressive looking structure/statue/something then it'll probably always look more impressive. This game though has a lot more "game" to it, with more combat, loot, and other not-building related content.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:24 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I really love the fact that you can carry items across worlds. It means you have a world for big projects, while you have "gathering" worlds for collecting ore and such.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:38 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I have a second small world that I used entirely for a skybridge.

Hidden in every world are floating islands, about 420 feet or so in the air. There's no real easy way to find them. What I did was mine up a few thousand blocks of Dirt blocks (a gold pickaxe will do this very very quickly due to it's swing speed) and then build straight upwards until you're the right height. Once you're up there, start building outwards and run along the entire map while way up in the sky.

If you're lucky you'll bump into a floating island, which always have a small house with a chest containing some rare sky related items such as the Red Balloon (makes you jump higher), the Starfury (Sword that rains stars down from the sky when you swing it), the Lucky Horseshoe (negates all falling damage) or the Rocket Boots (consume MP to fly a short time after jumping) -- incidentally, I actually got my pair of Rocket Boots dropped during a goblin invasion.

It's recommended you do this on a second world though, because having a "skybridge": 1) Stops Fallen Stars landing down on your ground level (they hit the bridge) and 2) Stops meteors landing on your world (they hit the bridge and you get only 10 blocks of Meteorite instead of like 200)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It seems they've really beefed up Skeletron since I saw him in the beta videos. Every map has a dungeon somewhere, filled with chests and loot. But to get in you have to defeat the Old Man who stands outside the dungeon, who morphs into a big floating skeleton called Skeletron. If you try and mine your way into the dungeon without killing him, he starts chasing you and does 9999 damage.

He used to have about 3000 HP but it seems now he's got 6000 HP. Me and Kio couldn't seem to kill him. I think I'm going to need to go farm even more life crystals until I have max health and upgrade to using full healing potions instead of lesser potions. Then it's probably going to be a matter of rounding everyone together for another shot at it.

In the meantime, here's some more SS:

Making some Obsidian (combine lava and water)

While digging out my main central drop to the underworld, a goblin army approaches!

I make short work of them though.

Eventually reached the underworld, and managed to burrow deep where I could mine Hellstone in relative peace.

And then later went for a jolly old trip with some other schmucks I found wandering around.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:56 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

More screenshots:

Fighting the Eater of Worlds.

Fighting Skeletron.

Looting the dungeon. Managed to find a Muramasa in the very last chest I found. It's the only sword in the game that automatically swings without having to click for each swing.

Back in town building houses and stuff.

I need to go out and find the Underground Jungle now. Supposed to be the hardest area in the game, hidden somewhere underground supposedly just above the underworld.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 pm 

Damn it, I wanna play this game but I had to paid my bills for this week but my wife said she may get it for me for my birthday that was 5 days ago (5/16). This coming monday (5/23) she said I hope.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:06 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ket, I'll help you kill your Skeletron, if you help me kill mine. He was too hard for me. haha

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:40 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Lemme know once you're home tonight and I'll come help do it for you, lol. I've since killed him, I had to go farm Molten armor and stock up on a hell of a lot of potions first. I used a Phaseblade and I almost didn't kill him in time (you only have til Sunrise).

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:55 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I tried to take him out the same way I took out the Eye. I farmed floating islands for dynamite and loot. I used dynamite to get to my first shadow orb, so I could get a gun, and have the ammo dealer move in. Then I continued to farm floating islands until I could afford the 50g mini shark.

Then I just pew pewed the eyeball. I'll make meteor shot for tonight's fight. I did decent, but I kept getting tripped up on zombies.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

People recommend you fight Skeletron on the roof, it gives you more space to move around and less monsters wandering into the fight. Just level the roof off with your pickaxe during the day before. The first time I tried I also built platforms to make it easier to get up and around his arms, but that isn't necessary.

As an extra tip: By the time you're fighting Skeletron you should hopefully be using the better healing potions instead of just lesser potions. Getting 200HP per potion instead of 100HP makes a big difference. To make the better healing potions farm glowing mushrooms. If you're lucky you can get some glowing seeds. Dig out a large room under your house (has to be below sea level -- when the music changes) and plant them there to make your own glowing mushroom farm.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:13 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I stumbled upon those seeds while I was exploring, but I haven't done anything with them yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:02 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

The game just got patched. As always, Steam will automatically update it once it gets the chance.

Quote:
Controls

• Right clicking and holding on a crafting recipe will craft multiple of the same item to a max of the stack and/or until you run out of materials.

Items

• NEW ITEM : Sticky Bombs, Requires 5 Gel and a Bomb.
• Sand Duping bug fixed.
• Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.
• Mining stone and other hard ores make a 'tink' noise now.
• Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Demonite pick to gather.
• Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location, This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
• Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.
• The clay pot item now has the correct size.

Performance

• Frame-skip is now correctly ON by default for new players.
• Increased Client Side Multi-Player stability. Should resolve many crash causes.
• Corrected a bug where players would intermittently not take falling damage.
• The world file is now saved to a temporary file that is copied over to the actual save file. This prevents world corruption when saving is interrupted.
• Fixed a bug that disabled some error handling. Overall game stability should be improved.

GUI

• The version number of the game now shows on the title screen.
• Typing numbers in chat no longer changes your selected item in your hotbar.

Server

• Servers now listen to all IP addresses on the hosting PC, regardless of how many network connections are active.
• Typing "localhost" instead of your own local IP address will connect to your own same-PC server.
• The games default port is no longer ELEET (31337) it is now 7777.
• Client will now resolve a hostname into its IP address, for example, if randomsite.org ran a server, you could type randomsite.org as the IP address and be able to connect.

Note : We are aware of the new bug that causes Double Jumping to not negate falling damage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion