It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terraria - 2D Minecraft/RPG/Platformer/Castlevania Thing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:30 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Ketrebu wrote:
What setup/weapons did you use?

I wanted to try with my Unreal Megashark, but using the Unreal Megashark and Crystal Bullets makes the server boot you for cheating, lol.

ket that boot only happens on muilt players but if you try to do it in single player it should work so try it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Skeletron Prime down as well. He was even easier than the twins tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:17 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

This isnt so tough if you spend time making potions and buffs and having the right equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:07 am 

OK I got my Twins playing this game cause they are off for 2 week from school so it should keep them busy as I play with them. I bought 4 pack game of Terraria for my wife, twins and daughter but my daugher will not play this game until year or two then she will.

I got my new upgraded desktop i7 Sandybridge in Lan setup with two other computer on my old Core 2 Quad Q6600 desktop and my Dell XPS M170 that I played FFXI before in past. They are setup in Lans as well so that I don't deal with wireless that not always sure connection which can break.

I told Yarr what I did and he lol about it that I let my Twins play this game which these boys are enjoying this game as I ONLY show them how to use the Controls, Mine, Craft, Build and fight. As for the rest of Fresh Start of new Char of their own and mine as well. The twins used their own first name as Nick and Max. Me? I just use Papa Smurf which I made a blue little old man which I remember watching this old 80's cartoon when I was little watching Smurfs which is kinda kewl to watch.

Anyhow we are still at the began stage as I want to keep it in slow pace so they can learn (as in Figure damn thing out yourself heh heh). Remember I only show them how to play the game that is it! No showing them how to play by play. They pickup pretty quick as I didn't expect them to get this far on their own as I play stupid.

Here the SS I snap for now and I will add more later as I play with them in next 2 week when they are off from school.

Attachments:
File comment: Here the shot when they are back in house that we built.
2011-12-19_00002.jpg
2011-12-19_00002.jpg [ 115.34 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's cute, Panther. I'm glad they're enjoying it. Now make them go break some heart crystals!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:44 am 

Ridere wrote:
That's cute, Panther. I'm glad they're enjoying it. Now make them go break some heart crystals!

They had not found them yet, heh heh

edit: I am letting them figuring this out on their own but I did told them about those mana and hearts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:43 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Wish i got into this sooner, it's fun, but kinda boring with no one else to learn/explore with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:59 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'd say just ask someone to play, I'd bet most people will still.

However, those of us with all the best armor/weapons are probably A) going to ruin your enjoyment with their one-shotting-everything-ness, and 2) are probably not going to want to relinquish their gear and weaponry, lol.

It's definately a game that's a lot more fun with 2-3 people (not that it's not fun on it's own). Maybe get a new friend into playing too? I even have spare copies if they're cheapskates. I'd like lots of CKD to be playing the game for whenever the next content update hits.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I've started poking around on this game again. I'm playing it on my laptop instead of my desktop, so I decided to restart a new player. The game is a lot slower now, without the benefit of early raiding of the sky islands. haha

You need keys to unlock those chests now, and I heard you have to get the keys from the dungeon slimes. Doesn't make much sense to me, since if you can get dungeon items, why would you want the sky items?

Either way, I've completed my set of gold armor, and I've found a fair amount of hearts. I tried to kill the eye of cthullu, but I only got it down to about 1200 life before it turned to day. Ugh!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:25 am 
Even Match
Even Match

The dungeon is still hard for me, but i took down skeleton pretty easily with meteorite armor, buffs, and the space gun! I really underestimated the need for buffs, they help so much. I just bough the minigun too, it's pretty sweet.... Now to finish the hellavator... And maybe call the eye, but i have a feeling he'd kick my ass. FYI the game is much more fun now that I can take on some stuff, just took a while to get there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:52 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The eater of worlds doesn't run away during the day, right? I think that may be a better "first boss" than the eye, since I never seem to be able to do enough damage to the eye before it runs away until I get better weapons. I could blow a bunch of money on shurikens, or something, but I don't want to waste money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:03 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ridere wrote:
You need keys to unlock those chests now, and I heard you have to get the keys from the dungeon slimes. Doesn't make much sense to me, since if you can get dungeon items, why would you want the sky items?

This was less to do with making sure you did the dungeon first, and more to do with stopping people from keep re-generating new worlds, immediately raiding the sky islands for rare accessories, deleting the world, re-generating a new one, and immediately raiding all the sky islands again.

The Sky Islands biome is also the only place you can get the Shiny Red Balloon and Lucky Horseshoe accessories, both are useful regardless of whether you've been to the dungeon or not. More importantly, once you've beaten a goblin invasion and freed the tinkerer, these two items can be crafted/merged into the Cloud in a Balloon and the Obsidian Horseshoe.

And Krellis, do you mean the plain old Eye of Cthulu? If you can beat Skeletron, you'll have absolutely no problem versus the eye, just need decent ranged weaponry. Spamming the hell out of shurikens works pretty well even for a low level character. Like most ammo you can also pick shurikens that miss back up off of the floor.

Eater of Worlds doesn't run away, his spawn condition is "corruption" as opposed to "night time". He should stay active as long as you don't leave the corruption. Breaking Shadow Orbs to spawn him can also get you some neat gifts beforehand. Your first meteor tends to fall almost immedately after you break your first shadow orb these days.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:49 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, I'm just trying to remember the order of things. I believe I dynamited the shadow orbs to get a gun and make the gun guy show up, then I sold crap until I could afford the mini-shark, and that's how I first took down the eye.

I suppose I can go the shuriken route, but bleh. I remember trying that back in the day and not having much success with it. Maybe my aim was just bad. lol

I see they added traps and old mineshaft ruins since I last played the game. pretty neat additions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:16 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

It was Ket and you were right... super easy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:36 am 

Gald that you guys join the fun and plan to hop on ket's server cause more players the merry!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kitty and I were farting around 2-player last night. I'd join the ckd server, but I worry about getting spoiled with lots of free gifts, since it's kinda fun grinding things out the way it's supposed to be. We found kitty 4 crystal hearts yesterday. We'll get him a set of gold armor, and then we'll start taking out early bosses and get some demonite stuff. hell yah!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:41 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

If someone did try to give you free stuff, you could just not use it, nobody's gonna force you. Though I guess theres always tempation to use that shiny Legendary Excalibur sitting in the chest.

It varies from person to person. Krellis was having a tough time to begin with and wasn't liking the game because he wasn't finding any iron after many hours; was probably a crappy world generated. So i hopped on his server, built him a house and left him a stack of iron, and now he loves it.

Well right now we have two servers, the old hard mode server running on port 7777 and a newer currently peaceful server running on 7778. The peaceful server is just a town enclosed within some castle-like walls.

One of the earliest suggestions made for the game they were considering was some kind of server portals. So you could make like a home-town base server and then have portals that go off to other servers. That'd be cool, especially with the need to constantly re-generate worlds to get new stuff. It'd be cool if one of those portals went off to an automatically regenerated server too.

Anyhow, I think I want to wait for the next terraria patch before enabling hard mode on the new server. I'm hoping that the next patch tones down the hallow and corruption spread. It gets kind of crazy in hard mode and it spreads so much you eventually get nothing except corruption and hallow which is boring and also kind of annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:51 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I got a spear :3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:08 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, the need to make new worlds is the biggest downfall to this game, when compared to minecraft. Portals to "farm" maps for exploring, fighting bosses and getting loot would go a long way to making it better.

I did give kitty my old set if Iron Armor, but we also farmed so much of it last night, it wasn't really all that game-impacting.

Also noticed demonite ore randomly placed here and there, which is neat, except for the fact you still need scales to make anything with it, so we gotta kill that worm asap :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Ketrebu wrote:
It varies from person to person. Krellis was having a tough time to begin with and wasn't liking the game because he wasn't finding any iron after many hours; was probably a crappy world generated. So i hopped on his server, built him a house and left him a stack of iron, and now he loves it.

Yup sure do, thanks again! I have all the stuff to pay you back too whenever ;). Initially I think I was just going about the game wrong. I didn't realize at the beginning that you really find a ton of shit when you build your hellavator and constantly side track into caverns and such.

I'm thinking about taking on the wall of flesh after I get the megashark, but not sure I wanna deal with hardmode yet. I'll probably jump on your hardmode server to try it out.

Oh and I read before enabling hardmode, people are building wider hellavator's on each side of corruption (nearest your house) to stop it from spreading there. I forget the block size it can skip after hardmode, but I think it was 4, so 6 should provide a buffer if they make that wider in a future patch. I guess you could let it spread over the rest of the world (excluding jungle since that stops the spread) or you could build hellavators on the other sides of it too. I'm not sure if you can apply the same idea to the hallow after that spawns though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Krellis wrote:
Wish i got into this sooner, it's fun, but kinda boring with no one else to learn/explore with.

Im down to learn/explore. It sounds like it would be a lot more fun playing with someone else. I got bored with it playing alone, so I didnt get too far. I kept getting my ass kicked trying to check out whats in the dungeons. I'll have to relearn some before I embarrass myself in front of anyone though :trollface:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So I take it sunflowers no longer stop the spread of the corruption?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:04 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I'm pretty far along now Spy, but I wouldn't mind starting on a new world too. And I just realized I can't get the megashark without killing the destroyer... damn.

I think they do Rid, but I haven't planted any so I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ridere wrote:
So I take it sunflowers no longer stop the spread of the corruption?

There are two kinds of corruption. The normal corruption and the "hard mode" corruption.

Normal Corruption:
  • Can spread by moving 1 tile at a time.
  • Can only spread through grass tiles on the surface.
  • Will stop spreading if it reaches any non-dirt tile along the surface such as clay, stone or iron.
  • Will stop spreading if it reaches a sunflower.

Hard mode corruption:
  • Can spread by jumping approx 4 tiles at a time.
  • Can spread underground.
  • Can spread through stone (will be converted to Ebonstone).
  • Can spread through both sand and mud. Deserts and jungles will be corrupted.
  • Can spread through sunflowers, removing them in the process.
  • A monster called the Corruptor will instantly corrupt tiles it hits with its spit attack, which will then also spread. This allows it to corrupt tiles passed obstacles and even corrupt sky islands.

Ability to spread through stone, underground, and by jumping multiple tiles allows hard mode corruption to spread almost completely unhindered throughout your entire map. Especially on the cavern layer which consists almost entirely of stone.

Even when you think you're safe because of obstacles on the surface, the hard mode corruption simply spreads underground and eventually rises back up underneath through various bits of dirt and stone in the ground. Not to mention that underground corruption spawns it's own kind of crazy difficult monsters that don't appear on the surface.

If you don't do something to stop it, your entire map WILL become corrupted. *

There IS one thing that will stop the spread of the corruption, and that's the Hallow. The Anti-Corruption, so to speak, which is filled with light and good and unicorns and rainbows and stuff. Unfortunately, the Hallow *also* spreads in the same manner as the corruption, and only if the two meet will they become equalibrially opposed and stop each other.

This means that, given a couple of weeks, your entire map will consist entirely of corruption and hallow and nothing else. It kind of sucks. The hallow also spawns it's own monsters that are equally annoying, if not more, than the corruption monsters. Believe me when I say that, eventually, Hell actually becomes the SAFEST part of your world.

If you intend to activate hard mode by defeating the Wall of Flesh. I would, for now, suggest you do it on a brand new map specifically for this purpose, and keep it away from your home world. I'm hoping they do something in a patch to limit it somewhat. I don't mind the new corruption and hallow biomes, but I don't like them taking over 95% of the map.

* The only known way to stop it is to completely enclose your city/town with blocks that cannot be corrupted, including underground. If you've been on my "peaceful" server you'll notice that theres a huge underground perimiter tunnel around the city designed to keep the corruption out should somebody ever accidentally turn it on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

What about the new water behavior? Is that a glitch, or intentional? I used to be able to lay down dirt and the hollow it out to make dry areas, but no more. It's a pain in the butt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion