It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:27 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: SE casually announces new MMORPG
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:55 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Full announcement to come sometime this fiscal year.
Massive lol's are had across the internets.

Quote:
Square Enix is readying a new large scale Massively Multiplayer Online title to be announced some time this fiscal year. CEO Yoichi Wada made brief mention of this new game during a May 13 earnings briefing. A full transcript of the briefing was posted today at the company's IR page.

According to Wada, Square Enix hopes aims to operate two to three large scale MMO titles simultaneously, a target it feels will allow it to have stable cash flow. The company is developing one more title in addition to Final Fantasy XIV, and Wada hopes to announce the game during the fiscal year.

Wada also made note of the problems faced by FFXIV, saying the game will take a bit more time, but they're at the point where they can see the target.

Source link, with source link inside: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/25/square_enix_mmo/

Post subject: Re: SE casually announces new MMORPG
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

I like how they said "2 or 3", it sounds like SE is fully preparing to unload FFXIV because of how much of a massive failure its been. Kinda sad but the entire reason i lost my ability to continue ffxiv was because i lost faith that the game would survive long enough to see its potential

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I doubt they will scrap FFXIV. We can whine and cry about how bad it sucks, but if they fix a few more things it will be a good game. It’s on the right track with more end game content and revised battle system planned for this summer. They invested a lot into the game, it would be silly to scrap it and start over. If anything they should temporarily shut it down to fix everything and re-launch it like Yarr suggested. I still have fun playing it. It’s much better than it was at release,

SE likes taking on 3 projects at once, while only working on 1. Remember the Fabula Nova Crystallis project? All 3 games were slated to release around the same time. Now 2+ years after FFXIII release we still haven’t seen concrete release dates on Agito (Type 0 now) or Versus.

I’m not too worried about this.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

This is interesting news.

I doubt they're going to abandon FF14. But I do wonder if this means that they will continue to head in the direction they've chosen with this game, and instead plan to fix everything wrong with the basic idea of FF14 for FF... 16/17?

While this game may eventually be good, I think we can all agree it doesn't feel like an FF game. Maybe if they change all the quests and job names around, and such, then it would, but as it stands right now, I'm curious if they'll just continue the lore/feel of this game and instead try to stay closer to what the fans are used to in the new one.

Edit: They may have felt that it'd take too much fundamental retooling to make this game feel like that, so they instead chose to just make a completely separate game and start over. They could probably re-use a good chunk of the code client/server/graphics code and really instead start this project at the "creation" portion of the game. Which means it may not take them 7 years to create it, like it did FF14. lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:54 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

They should just rename Final Fantasy XIV something else and then release another FF MMO correctly.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:16 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

nah rename should be this "FF Yes we screwed it up Verison"

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion