It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:57 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Hide your wallets! It's the Steam Summer Sale 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

KET WHERE IS TODAYS UPDATE?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:43 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

July 5th

- Civilization V (-50% $24.99)
- The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (-50% $4.99) *F
- Guild Wars Trilogy (-50% $14.99) *F
- Beat Hazard (-75% $2.49)
- King Arthur (-85% $3.00) *F
- AI War: Fleet Command (-85% $2.99)
- Monday Night Combat (-75% $3.74)
- Shift 2 Unleashed (-40% $29.99) *F
- Wings of Prey (-85% $4.50)
- Deux Ex: Game of the Year Edition (-75% $2.49) *F
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (-50% $9.99)
- Stalker (-75% $4.99) *F

Kind of a crappy looking day imo, but I did pick up Beat Hazard for cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Totally going to get this tonight.

Deux Ex: Game of the Year Edition (-75% $2.49) *F

Its been on my list of "should have played this, but I dont know why I didnt" games for a while now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket I agree with you. Today seems pretty dull. So far Im dissappointed with the sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:17 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Hey, does call of duty 4 have co-op stuff? Kitty and I are not the greatest vs/ffa players in first person shooters, but we do enjoy slowly crawling through co-op story modes and such. We had a lot of fun playing Resistance and Army of 2.

Also, monkey island may be fun just for sort of nostalgia/silliness sake.

El Pollo Diablo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:20 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Yarr wrote:
Totally going to get this tonight.

Deux Ex: Game of the Year Edition (-75% $2.49) *F

Its been on my list of "should have played this, but I dont know why I didnt" games for a while now.

god i dont even remember when the last time i played that game. 1999? 2001?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Just reading up on it now. It came out in 2000. So maybe then. Looks interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:44 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Honestly, even if it's a universally-acclaimed awesome game, I have a really hard time going back to play an old game if I never played it before (have no Nostalgia to back it up). Old graphics can be an eye sore without the fond memories and its painful and sometimes frustrating when older games are missing various staple features of more modern games.

Like, the original Command & Conquer was an awesome RTS, but it has no skirmish mode, you cant queue up multiple units or construction, the minimap/radar is near worthless due to the resolution, there are no custom waypoints, aircraft can't be given orders once in mid-air, etc etc. This is all stuff thats simply expected as standard in an RTS now. It was a great game but I can't recommend someone who never played it before go and play it now.

So it's the same with me and games like Deus Ex. I hear it's one of the greatest PC games ever made, but I can't make myself try it. I just accept the boat has already sailed and possibly wait for the latest entry in the franchise to come out and try that instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:46 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

PS: Here's my purchase list so far this sale. Theres been a lot of games I would have bought except for the fact I already own them! So don't be confused if it looks like I passed up on any super-cheap must-have stuff like Torchlight or Just Cause 2.

My list so far this sale is:

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Kio wanted me to pick this up, not had chance to try it yet. Supposed to be a game where you play as an item shop owner in an RPG world trying to price gauge your unknowing adventurers out of their money. Definately an interesting concept.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
It was cheap and I heard it has a huge modding scene that vastly improves the game. I fear I may never get around to actually playing this though due to how damn big it supposedly is.

Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year
Was nice and cheap and this one gets lots of praise everywhere. I generally like tower defense games, this is supposed to be a simple yet fun one so I was sure I'd like it.

Beat Hazard
A friend of mine picked this up recently (gonna kick himself now it went on sale) and recommended I get it. I'm not a huge music person but it was cheap so what the hey. I tend to like "twin stick shooters" like Super Stardust and stuff.

Transformers: War for Cybertron
I heard this was somewhat of an overlooked gem thanks to the recent movies tainting the brand as a whole. The truth is that this game has absolutely nothing to do with the Micheal Bay movies at all. It's styled after and completely based upon the original Transformers G1, set during the war before the trip to Earth. I loved the original Transformers as a kid so I figured I'd give this a try.

The combat is a little clunky (I think its because the weapons don't feel like they have a lot of punch to them -- i suppose you are shooting robots though) but overall I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's basically Gears of War with robots. Huge plus that it lets you transform whenever the hell you want, whether it be in the middle of a battle or after shooting off a ramp and transforming back into a robot in mid-air. And frankly boss battles where you fight Soundwave, Rumble, Frenzy, and Laserbeak all at once with your own little squad of Optimus, Bumblebee and Sideswipe makes me wanna go back to the 80s.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER
This was cheap one day, looked interesting, decided to give it a go. Despite it's simplicity I was actually enjoying this a lot at first, for the first 10 levels or so, they took about 2-3 minutes each. And then level 11 came along and holy hell, I was stuck on that level for THREE HOURS. The sudden ramp up in difficulty was insane, and it doesn't help that you're not allowed to make a single mistake (cant touch anything at all) or you have to re-do the entire level. Honestly I was enjoying this at first but the sudden unfair difficulty spike just made me frustrated into not playing it anymore and that's a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I regret not buying Oblivion. I never played it because it didn't appeal to me initially. I played Fallout 3 and LOVED every second of it, then heard it's basically oblivion with guns in a different setting. That sparked my interest to play oblivion, but I still never got around to it. Like Ket, I would probably never get around to playing it. It sounds overwhelming. I've heard so many people say they dumped over 100 hours into it.

The only game i've bought from this steam sale is Borderlands. I've been enjoying playing through it again on PC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:26 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

u need to just stop what youre doing and play oblivion. its way better than borderlands.

call of duty 4 i am pretty sure does not have co-op. however modern warfare 2 does have co-op modes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
u need to just stop what youre doing and play oblivion. its way better than borderlands.

call of duty 4 i am pretty sure does not have co-op. however modern warfare 2 does have co-op modes.

I dunno. You almost always like/hate the exact opposite games as me. Borderlands rocks, it will be nearly impossible to pull me off at this point haha.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:30 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

youre a FF8/10/13 fan?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:00 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket makes me mad I didnt get Transformers. I should have. I wanted it, but I thought the game was ass. Ahh well, ill get it next time it drops.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

July 6th

- Arcania: Gothic 4 (-75% $12.49) *F
- Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (-75% $7.49)
- Jamestown (-50% $4.99)
- Farcry 2 (-75% $4.99) *F
- Atom Zombie Smasher (-70% $2.99)
- The Sims 3 (-66% $13.60) *F
- Prototype (-50% $14.99)
- Left 4 Dead 2 (-75% $4.99) *F
- Grand Theft Auto IV & Episodes from Liberty City (-75% $9.99)
- Killing Floor (-75% $4.99)
- King's Bounty: Armored Princess (-80% $4.99) *F
- Lost Planet 2 (-50% $19.99)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Left 4 dead 2 may be a good buy at 5 bucks. I think kitty and I can play that together. Don't really know much about any of those other ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:56 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I wanna get Farcry 2. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I might pick up L4D2 even though I have it for Brobox already. And might pick up Killing Floor as well.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:06 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

In case anybody ever wonders why the updates come several hours later sometimes, it's because I have to wait until I find an american price list because of course all I can see are the european prices.

July 7th

- Quake (-75% $2.49) *F
- Command & Conquer 4 (-80% $4.00) *F
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (-75% $3.74)
- Risen (-75% $7.49)
- Company of Heroes (-33% $6.69) *F
- Cities XL 2011 (-80% $7.99)
- Counter Strike: Source (-75% $4.99)
- Street Fighter IV (-50% $14.99)
- Sanctum (-75% $3.75)
- Dead Rising 2 (-50% $19.99)
- Audiosurf (-85% $1.49)
- RIFT (-75% $9.99)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:25 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I think im gonna grab this

- Command & Conquer 4 (-80% $4.00) *F
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (-75% $3.74)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

omg whats today's update! omgomgooggmogomgogmgogogm

I bought Talisin the Quake Pack yesterday for 7 bucks. We use to play Q3 like every day for a good two years right before we started playing FFXI.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

July 8th

- Mafia II (-75% $7.49) *F
- Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (-50% $19.99)
- Fallout 3: GOTY Edition (-66% $10.19)
- Empire & Napoleon: Total War GOTY (-66% $10.19)
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (-75% $4.99)
- Universe Sandbox (-50% $4.99)
- Worms Reloaded (-75% $4.99)
- Mass Effect 2 (-66% $6.80) *F
- The Last Remnant (-75% $9.99)
- DIRT 3 (-33% $33.49)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction (-66% $6.79) *F
- Red Faction: Armageddon (-33% $33.49)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

My recommendation today's gonna be The Last Remnant, since it's the second time this thing has ever gone on sale on Steam in several years. Especially those of you who have been JRPG starved this generation. A lot of people probably didn't play it due to hearing mixed things about it when it came out on xbox. If anyone is on the fence about The Last Remnant due to hearing bad things about it from the xbox version, know that the PC version is stellar in comparison.

The horrendous mid-battle loading times are gone, the battle speed increased, a turbo battle mode that you can turn on/off on the fly, extra content, the ability to field an entire alliance of 18 unique leader characters at once (instead of only a couple of them + generics). It also has dual voice support if you want to play the game with japanese voice and english subtitles (and you might, depending on your opinion of Johnny Yong Bosch).

Last Remnant's story is kind of subpar, but the battle system is great, and that's the reason to play this game. It's a turn-based battle system: you choose actions for each of your unions, and then the round plays out automatically, you can use turbo mode if you want to skip all the animations quickly. You field up to 18 characters at once grouped into smaller groups of 4-5 people (called Unions). Most people dismiss it as being annoying and random, but it's great fun once you understand how it works and how to make the commands you want appear when you want them by pre-setting their formations and putting particular leaders at the helm of each group.

Basically, because there are potentially up to 18 characters in the battle at once, and you have to give commands before the turn plays out (FF1 style) you do not directly command every character. Instead you give commands to each union as a whole, and the characters in that group will all pick attacks out of their roster by themselves. Unions will be in "deadlock" with another enemy union until either side is KO'd basically preventing them from attacking another union without fleeing which has penalties. All the time you're having to plan ahead, thinking about how the game works each turn to avoid flank attacks while performing your own flanks. Watching the battle carry on in the background while you decide what to do next turn is also kinda fun. Like I said, the unique battle system is what makes this whole game.

There's also plenty of sidequests and NM hunts and stuff, and a huge roster of characters to level up FF2 style (they get better at certain thigns by making them do it) making people learn and use different abilities, for the main character: magic, melee and weapon are completely your choice. Just remember that except for unique "limit break" style attacks your union leaders have access to, you cannot directly command a union to perform specific abilities, and this is the only thing a lot of people don't like about the battle system (except for how damn slow it was on the xbox). The game does tell you what attacks the union will do before you make a choice though, and eventually as you learn how the game and formations and leader choices work you can tip this "randomness" in your favor.

If you play, I'd recommend having a wiki or a guide or FAQ or something to hand. Due to the number of characters you can pick up for your group, there are plenty of missables that generally result in losing out on the chance to recruit certain people to your alliance.

The game's not for everyone though. If you prefer your JRPG to be more story than battle system then you may not like it. And some people simply cannot deal with the "random" union commands, getting insanely frustrated when "heal" or "revive" aren't one of the available options when you really need them. Though this shouldn't happen that often if your unions are set up correctly, it does happen, sometimes you just don't get what you really need. Some people also don't like the waiting between turns, but this is what Turbo Mode is for (speeds the game up 3-4x until your turn comes around again). I also recommend you play with a pad if you have one, since it was originally designed for an xbox controller, but you can play entirely with the keyboard just fine if you want to since it's all turn based.

Since it's hard to explain the battle system, here's a random boss battle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:25 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I picked this up last year. Its a great JRPG, but I havent had time to get really into it. However I have really enjoyed the hour or two of gameplay I have put in so far. So I too would suggest grabbing this game.
Tal even likes it and normally he doesnt like JRPGs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket thanks again for posting todays update.

Im thinking this is a good time to finally grab and play the Mass Effect games.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion