It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:01 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Nintendo Panics: 3DS Price Bomb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Things haven't been looking so good for the 3DS. Nintendo launched it with nearly no games, and it still has nearly no games several months later. And to top it off, they felt the need to launch it at an exorbitant price because of the positive reaction it got at E3 (you could buy a brand new PS3 for the same money as a 3DS). And to make matters even worse, Sony announced that their PS Vita (PSP2), which is insanely technologically superior in every way except the 3D, for exactly the same price.

Well it hasn't worked out. Nintendo just posted their financial report and for the first time in decades Nintendo has published a financial loss (of several million yen). The 3DS has sold less than a million units, which is a hell of a shortfall from their 16 million unit estimate/target. Now, this is quite normal for a system launch, they cost a lot to make and the profit margins are usually quite low (you usually sell the console for less than it costs to make and make the money back on software), but this is not normal for Nintendo, so they're panicing.

As of August 11th, the 3DS is having a 30-40% price drop. From 25,000 Yen to 15,000 Yen, or $250 to $170 USD.

Holy shit for early adopters. Not only have no decent games other than OoT (a port of a 10 year old game) been released yet, but the system is having a massive price drop before any of those games actually come out.

Nintendo are going to "compensate" us in free virtual console games. Lots of them.

Anyone who has logged on to the 3DS eShop before August 11th, will get the following free games on September 1st.

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+5 More Yet Undisclosed NES Games

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Warioware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+ 5 More Yet Undisclosed GBA Games

20 Free VC Games total. This is still quite a panic move by Nintendo though. Though you'll get these games on September 1st, they'll supposedly be unfinished, with no 3d effects or multiplayer support, and unavailable for normal purchase from the eShop. Once Nintendo actually release these games on the shop properly (with 3d+multiplayer/etc) the early adopters can redownload/upgrade them for free.

If you were intending to buy a 3DS, try and pick one up for cheap before August 11th so you get a bunch of free games. Some people on forums have suggested buying a 3DS a few days before the price drop, register for the free games, then go back to the retailer on August 12th and complain about the price drop to get a refund for the cheaper price. Apparently a lot of retailers will honor a price drop for 30 days after purchase.

Post subject: Re: Nintendo Panics: 3DS Price Bomb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:31 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Ouch! That is not good for Nintendo for them to drop the price that soon but good for us not to waste any monies that we need to spend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nintendo fucked up releasing the 3DS for $250. That's too much $$ for an average handheld gaming system. The PS vita will be 10x better all around. I got my 3DS as a birthday present, otherwise I wouldn't have paid for it.

The only 3DS game i've played on mine is Zelda. Otherwise i've downloaded old games from e-shop. I was angry at first reading your post (about the price drop) but I won't complain if i'm getting hooked up with all those games for free!! That's a nice lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Really Nintendo? Fuck you. I only bought mine because I thought The Mercenaries was going to be better. Shoulda waited.

Also those games aren't going to make me feel better, I don't now about anyone else. Maybe they should work on SNES games for the Virtual Console instead of games that could already be played on this console's predecessor.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

This annoys me. Id rather have saved on the price then have 20 free old NES and GBA games. I already own these games.

Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Warioware

So for me this is isnt much a bonus at all. Especially since I would never have bought these games as DLC anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:08 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Even with the price drop, not sure if want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think once we see some real games being made for it, the price will be great. The one game that I know I'm looking forward to is the Kingdom Hearts game, guess I should have just waited.

The only game on the DLC I'm really interested in is Mario Kart Advance, just because it's th eonly one I haven't played. Oh well.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:45 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I guess I shouldn't care about those DLCs. But I already have the 3DS...nothing I can do about that. It will be a welcome bonus for me.

I wouldn't reccommend buying a 3DS Expecially if you already have a DS. It's nothing special.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:32 pm 

ok it seem that they are making money now.

Quote:
Nintendo 3DS Price Cut Resulted In 260% Sales Increase, Flare Red Version Now Available

Dragos Pirvu
13 hours ago
Gaming

Nintendo 3DS Flare Red
Related Articles

Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS Price Cut From $249 To $169 Coming On August 12th, Free Games For Existing Users
Wii Console
Nintendo Has Sold More Than 30 Million Wii Units In The US
Nintendo DSi XL
The Price Reduction For Nintendo DSi And DSi XL Will Reach North America On September 12
Nintendo DSi Xl, The new supersized version of Nintendo DSi

Last month Nintendo has decided to cut down the price of the 3DS following a very rough start of the portable gaming device. The Nintendo 3DS was sold in fewer units than the Japanese had expected, however, the August Plan was very successful. According to Nintendo, the 3DS sales have risen 260% in August following the price reduction.

The Nintendo 3DS has seen its price reduced as of August 12th, and more than 185,000 units have been sold until August 31st. Nintendo said that it sold a little over 50,000 units as of August 1st until August 12th. The 260% rise is compared to the period between July 12th and July 31st, and it involves the people who purchased the device for $249.99.

Currently, the Nintendo 3DS is available for $169.99, and sales are continuing to rise due to this new deal. The Japanese company also wanted to remind the consumers who purchased the 3DS before the price cut have the right to download 20 free games that are worth more than the $80 reduction.

Nintendo will gradually release new games for free download, but like you’ve already imagine, the free games are coming only to the people who bought a Nintendo 3DS before August 12th. The company is tracking 3DS sales and it knows just when a unit was sold so there’s no way you can fool them.

At the moment you can download The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Advance 3, Yoshi’s Island, and Balloon Fight among others, while the Star Fox 64 D has been released on September 9th. Nintendo confirmed that two Mario games called Super Mario and Mario Kart 7 will be released by the end of the year in order to make full advantage of the holiday season.

The Flare Red version of the Nintendo 3DS has also become available on September 9th for the same price as the Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black versions. The portable gaming device features a PICA200 GPU, 3.53-inch touchscreen at 800 x 240 resolution and 3D technology support, a secondary 3.02-inch touchscreen at 320 x 240 resolution, two cameras on the back that can shoot 3D photos and videos, built-in 2GB memory, SD card slot, and WiFi among others.

Let us know if you purchased a Nintendo 3DS for $169.99 and if this was the decisive factor in your decision!

linky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:38 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Well, I really want Yoshi's Island, so that will be cool.

Ponuh wrote:

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion