It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Steam customer service
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:45 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

anybody had any luck finding a customer service# for steam? seems like they only answer questions via email.

I no longer have access to the email that my account is attached to. send them an email on friday, but still no response. should I just consider all my games gone :(

Post subject: Re: Steam customer service
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:06 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Steam support accounts are completely separate from your actual main Steam account (possibly for this reason).

Follow this link for info:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -QROC-4460

Which takes you to here:

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Remember, you need to make a new account. It's a "support account", not a Steam account.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I submitted a ticket for a billing issue a few months back. Took a week and a half to receive an canned response. I wasn't very happy with their support.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:20 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ketrebu wrote:
Steam support accounts are completely separate from your actual main Steam account (possibly for this reason).

Follow this link for info:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -QROC-4460

Which takes you to here:

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Remember, you need to make a new account. It's a "support account", not a Steam account.

Yeah I did that, submited my question.

Nayoz wrote:
I submitted a ticket for a billing issue a few months back. Took a week and a half to receive an canned response. I wasn't very happy with their support.

I'm afraid thats what the end result will be, and I'll lose all the games I purchased. :/ another good reason to go out and buy the media.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

bah hahahahah I did mine and took 24 hours lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:56 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Pantherxx wrote:

so you where able to get your account changed over? what did they ask you for security questions?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Out of curiosity, how did you lose access to your steam account? Forgot password? Just changed your e-mail address? That shouldn't be a problem because you don't need an e-mail address to log in (from a computer you've logged into before -- steam guard) and if you're logged in you should be able to change it.

Anyway, I hear that usually although steam support can be slow they're usually quite good as long as you didn't do anything like a credit card chargeback or VAC ban yourself. You might be without the account for a week or so but I doubt you'll lose it.

I hear you can prove a Steam account is yours simply by owning any retail/boxed steamworks titles like Left 4 Dead. You can read them the serial numbers off of the back of the boxes/manuals and they can match them against your account.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ketrebu wrote:
Out of curiosity, how did you lose access to your steam account? Forgot password? Just changed your e-mail address? That shouldn't be a problem because you don't need an e-mail address to log in (from a computer you've logged into before -- steam guard) and if you're logged in you should be able to change it.

Anyway, I hear that usually although steam support can be slow they're usually quite good as long as you didn't do anything like a credit card chargeback or VAC ban yourself. You might be without the account for a week or so but I doubt you'll lose it.

I hear you can prove a Steam account is yours simply by owning any retail/boxed steamworks titles like Left 4 Dead. You can read them the serial numbers off of the back of the boxes/manuals and they can match them against your account.

My PC crashed badly friday night, had to do a full reformat and reboot (drivers failed, restore to previous version failed causing OS to stop working blah blah blah) fine, i lost a bunch of MP3s and pictures no big deal.

the Steam account was tied to my domain cesarl.net, I no longer needed the domain so I did not renew it, I thought my steam account was tied to my google account (all emails were being forward to my gmail account) so after an unexpected crash, steam guard asked to verify account from old email, no can do. and so i can't get logged in.

I dont think I have any titles that use steam aside from the ones purchased on steam.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Hm, yeah that's a pickle.

Well as long as you didn't put any fake information into your steam account when you made it you might be able to get it back via security question or address and stuff. Assuming you've purchased some stuff through Steam relatively recently you might be able to prove ownership using your card statements to tell them exactly when you purchased stuff and for how much. Maybe you can even just tell them the card that's on the account. I don't know because I've never had to deal with Steam support myself before.

I can't imagine you're going to just lose the account though, so don't rush out to make a new one. Just file the support ticket and wait until they fix it. Unless you just bought Deus Ex, because that'd suck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ketrebu wrote:
Hm, yeah that's a pickle.

Well as long as you didn't put any fake information into your steam account when you made it you might be able to get it back via security question or address and stuff. Assuming you've purchased some stuff through Steam relatively recently you might be able to prove ownership using your card statements to tell them exactly when you purchased stuff and for how much. Maybe you can even just tell them the card that's on the account. I don't know because I've never had to deal with Steam support myself before.

I can't imagine you're going to just lose the account though, so don't rush out to make a new one. Just file the support ticket and wait until they fix it. Unless you just bought Deus Ex, because that'd suck.

Yeah im giving them 5 business days till I send another request.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:15 pm 

tehkei wrote:
Pantherxx wrote:

so you where able to get your account changed over? what did they ask you for security questions?

nah I forgot my password and secret question on steam and it been longtime I touched it when it was on desktop, til my motherboard died on me so I used my lappy to get steam running then that when I forgot about those two.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

looks like everything worked out fine, they changed my email and was able to verify. everything went better then expected :everythingwentbetterthanexpected:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

tehkei wrote:
looks like everything worked out fine, they changed my email and was able to verify. everything went better then expected :everythingwentbetterthanexpected:

Hah!
When does the narwhal bacon?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

wtf is steam?
I had a steam pipe planted on my head on the boat. Every time an F-18 would land, it would crack open and shoot me in the face with steam...great place to sleep, let me tell you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

SOMEONE BAN MM FOR BEING A PUSSY AND NOT KNOWING WHAT STEAM IS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:55 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Kioko wrote:
tehkei wrote:

Hah!
When does the narwhal bacon?

The Narwhal Bacons at Midnight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:07 am 

Yarr wrote:
SOMEONE BAN MM FOR BEING A PUSSY AND NOT KNOWING WHAT STEAM IS!

:? Dude are you the main admin on this forum and you got the ban hammer. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 pm 

I guess I should Google, but I'm afraid to Google anything from the forums while at work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:44 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If you don't know what steam is, it's basically a program used to sell video games online. You create an account, run their program, and search for games. You can then buy various games, main releases and casual indie stuff.

Problem is, you never get a disk, it just downloads on your machine, so if you get yourself banned for some reason, or whatever, you're toast. I've spent a bit of money on stuff there, but if there's a big game I want that is sold in stores, you can bet your ass I'll continue to buy it in stores.

I've bought copies of FFXI and stuff from steam, though, simply 'cause all I needed was the registration keys, for all intents and purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:44 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I :love: MM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:10 pm 

Thanks for the feedback Ridere. It seems like it could be a good idea, but if you change PC's, you would have to d/l everything again correct? Would you have to pay for it again?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Metalmilitia wrote:
you would have to d/l everything again correct?

Yes and no.

Your new computer would not have your games on it, no, and to install them you would have to download them again. However, it's possible to bypass this by simply copying a single (very large) folder from your old PC to your new PC. Steam will start to download the game, realize you already have it, and think the download is complete instantly. If you do have to re-download though, Steam's servers are extremely fast and it will automatically download and install all of your games at once quietly in the background.

Quote:
Would you have to pay for it again?

Not at all. In fact, one of Steam's biggest plus points is that you are allowed to re-download your games as many times as you want to as many computers as you want, without paying anything.

"Sounds too good to be true, whats the catch?"

The "catch" is that only one computer can ever be logged into that Steam account at any one time. You can swap between playing your game on your PC, your laptop, or your other PC, or your work PC, and with a lot of newer games Steam will even automatically copy your save files between your PCs for you. But you can never run a game on two of those PCs at once (even if it's not the same game) because you can only have the account logged in from one computer at a time.

If you're just one guy who buys and plays his own stuff, this catch is generally irrelevant. However, if you share computers or games with someone else in your house, this can get troublesome. You need an account each, and a game one of you guys owns cannot be played by the other person.

In summary:

Pros:

- Easy access to all of your games in one list.
- Your games automatically download, install, and update to the latest versions in the background as soon as they're available.
- Reinstalling your games on a new computer is insanely easy.
- Many newer games automatically back up your save files to the internet through Steam, and re-sync them with all of your PCs so you can continue you game where you left off.
- Steam has holiday sales that offer big games at rediculously low prices. You end up buying more games than you'll probably ever play because of how cheap they are sometimes.
- New games are literally a couple of clicks away. You can click a game on the store and be playing it in 30 minutes.

Cons:

- You cannot share an account. It's yours and the games on it are yours.
- You can't "resell" any games, ever.
- You can't log in on two computers at once, not even to play two different games.
- If you ever lose/ban the account somehow, you lose all of the games on it.
- Steam has to be running to play any Steam games. This isn't as big of an issue as it seems though.

As an aside, it's becoming increasingly common for newer games to require "Steamworks". Which means even if you buy the game in a store, the game will not work unless you install Steam and tie the game to a Steam account. This is a good or bad thing depending on where you stand with Steam.

Honestly, compared to some of the more draconian DRM systems out there, Steam is relatively leanient. But in reality Steam gets a free pass because Valve are constantly adding more value to it so that it's pros outweigh it's cons.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm 

Ok, thanks for the breakdown Ket, as always you are a fountain of useful information.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion