It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Nintendo Panics Part 2: 3DS Wait, what? Wtf is this shit!?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ok, wow, just wow.

I'm not even going to explain this one. Just look at the picture, and yes, it has been confirmed as real and Nintendo made (not Third Party).

Post subject: Re: Nintendo Panics Part 2: 3DS Wait, what? Wtf is this shit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:12 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

lol its like all power ranger like! When you put it on you have to do big movements and go something like "super mecha power up. (pulls out ds and attachment) ON!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:45 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Nintendo fucked up on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:03 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

there were 3 major rumors that preceded this that now makes me wonder.
They were:
- this would come out
- a complete redesign of the 3ds to natively include the right analog and possible rebranding will soon follow
- ceo of nintendo is very close to getting the boot.

there's also a big press event Nintendo is hyping for the 13th.

part of the rumor that came with this accessory is that devs were asked to start designing their games assuming a right analog would be available. It kinda makes me feel like there's more meat to the complete redo of the unit itself.

lolnintendo, you so crazy.

I wonder if they'll have to back track a few months after the wiiu release to just make a normal controller for it too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

por que?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Looks like Nintendo is working hard to become the Apple of the console companies. haha. New version of the DS every few years, everyone must upgrade, you end up doing the same shit on it you did on your DS from a few years back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Now comes the monthly firmware updates with 52 pages of user agreement that nobody reads. Next thing you know, you are the subject of humancenti3DS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

band-aids?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:21 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kluya wrote:
Next thing you know, you are the subject of humancenti3DS.

Cuddlefish or Vanilla Paste?!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ok I eata tha cuddlefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Ridere wrote:
Looks like Nintendo is working hard to become the Apple of the console companies. haha. New version of the DS every few years, everyone must upgrade, you end up doing the same shit on it you did on your DS from a few years back.

Nintendo's already been at that for years, starting with gameboy color.

When I used to work for a game store I can't tell you how many parents would buy their kid a brand new GBA SP a month after buying the first just because it came in a new colored plastic casing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:26 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I saw this, and at first I was really annoyed because of how shitty of a deal the early adopters seem to be getting. Then I thought about having Monster Hunter on the DS. Then I remembered that it won't come out here, and it would probably suck on the DS anyway. I should have known better than to get a 3DS right away, but hopefully I learned my lesson this time and can wait next time if I do get anything from Nintendo.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

As much heat as the 3DS gets for being a failed launch in the West, all it's really going to take is the next iteration of Pokemon I bet to see some sales.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:31 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I still haven't downloaded my 20 games. I need to get on that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kluya wrote:
I still haven't downloaded my 20 games. I need to get on that.

1) It's only 10 NES games so far.
2) Prepare to enjoy your Nintendo shopping experience:

- Wait forever for the store to actually load. I even timed this, it takes over 30 seconds from clicking on the eShop button before you actually arrive at the store. There are games that load faster than this.

- Look around for your games only to discover they're not there. Not even with the Virtual Console stuff like you'd expect.

- Spend 10 minutes clicking everything to discover they're actually in your "titles I've downloaded before" list, which is actually in the settings menu. Take a mental note of how many taps and swipes it actually takes to get here.

- Find your games in a list. A "list" where every game takes up an entire screen. So you have to swipe with your finger/stylus a million miles past each one, past all the ones you already downloaded so far, to reach the game you actually want to download.

- Click download, then wait. I'm not even sure what you're waiting for here. It makes you wait 5-6 seconds just to load, I dunno, another download button? Then click that download button so it can load another 5-6 seconds before it starts to download anything.

- Finally your game is downloading. Despite your super fast cable internet, expect to wait about 20-30 seconds for the game to actually download due to having to watch the stupid happy shopping bag do his stuff. As a ROM dump, Super Mario Bros for the NES should be a 32k download. A 56k modem would download 32k in approximately 7-8 seconds.

(By this point, you're probably thinking I'm being a bit harsh. Don't worry, I'm getting to why.)

- Your game finally downloads, you're presented with a big button that says "Continue Shopping". Its also the only button you can press that isn't the Home button to force the thing to close.

- Click the Continue button, and watch as you are booted all the way back to the store homepage. From here, you can very conveniently repeat the entire process again, ten times, to get everything. Why the hell do all of your buttons take up the entire screen?! You gotta swipe past way too much stuff to get to where you want to go! By the 5th or 6th game I was starting to get so annoyed by how convoluted this was that I almost didn't bother downloading the rest of them. It took me around 20-25 minutes to actually download them all, whyyyyyy!?

- Finally, FINALLY, get to play Super Mario Bros. That is, play it for less time than it took to aquire the damn thing before you realise that, yep, this is Super Mario Bros, that you've already played a million times, and begin to wonder why the hell you wasted so much time.

I mean, come on now Nintendo, what are you playing at? You'd think with all these extra years to watch what the competition is doing and improve your own stuff that you'd have solved all these problems by now. Why is your interface so huge and convoluted so that every single button takes up the entire screen? Where are the "cart" and "buy/download all" features? The PS3 and 360 have done this for years. And to be fairer, even the freaking PSP has these features.

Instead all we got is a handheld version of the horrible Wii Shop Channel nonsense. Why do you insist on throwing "Tomy's My First Shopping Experience" at people, normal everyday "casual" people, who actually do online shopping on sites like Amazon. People are used to concepts like a virtual shopping basket, it's really not that alien a concept. And even the most basic UI designer would know to have more than just a single button that just forces someone all the way back to the very start to repeat the entire process again for every item they want to buy. You don't go into a grocery store and have to checkout for each individual item before wandering back into the aisles to find your next item and return to checkout again, its just stupid, argh.

:fffuuu:

/rant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Thank you Ket, I needed a good laugh this morning lol. I am not looking forward to any of that. Worst UI ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:16 pm 

:love: whoa gotta love ket's rant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:42 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ket is spot on, the whole thing is ridiculous.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah Ket speaks the truth. Im enjoying Metroid a little (This would be my third play through).

Its stupid that nintendo is "making it up" to me with games Ive already played and other games I never would have paid 99c for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:05 pm 
DL Hughley

3DS has been a hard thing for me. Since before release I've had to remind myself that the only games I want to play on it are old (kid icarus and zelda). There still aren't any games for it and why on earth a system would be released in this day and age without two joysticks is beyond me. Currently in the same mental bind concerning the Wii. Can't think of many games I want besides Skyward Sword, I can't go without Zelda.

I only have a handful of games for XBOX360, the last I bought was Mass Effect 2. Last game I bought for PS3 was Red Dead Redemption (not counting shadow of the colossus/ico because I own both for PS2). Games really blow these days. Haven't bought any handheld games since dissidia012, before that was golden sun ds. I mostly just replay games I've had for years at this point. Total bummer. I could go for some new handheld castlevania or a traditional metroid adventure, or another regular ds zelda, but I doubt that'll happen now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

FYI, the other 10 ambassador games are now available. They are:

- F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
- Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
- Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong
- Metroid Fusion
- Wario Land 4
- WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

It seems Nintendo have tried to fix some of the things I had a huge rant about a few months ago.

The eShop now takes you back to your download list, not the front of the store, when you click continue shopping.

You can now click to "download a game later" (up to 10), which makes the 3DS download them automatically later while the system is asleep like it does for SpotPass. This effectively lets you queue them.

The actual store itself is still slow and has a massive wait between basically everything, but it's a start.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I wanted to add, that if the glued on second analog stick wasn't retarded enough, in the US it's going to be a gamestop exclusive item.

Although I don't really see that being an issue, despite Nintendo supposedly fishing for devs to support it (rumored that they even insisted upon it) I have a feeling most titles will not.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion