It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: I need help: Ket or somebody
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I am building a new PC this weekend, and I have a question about FFXIV.

If I copy the game folder from my existing computer to an external drive, then from the external drive to my new computer…will that work? Are all game files pulled from the FFXIV folder? I don’t want to recreate macros and it seems like an easy way to transfer the game to my new PC lol.

Ket mentioned it’s possible for steam games (in another thread). I might do that also. My internet connection sucks and downloading takes foreeeevvveeeer.

Post subject: Re: I need help: Ket or somebody
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:39 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

I don't know much about FFXIV specifically, but in most games there is just a folder with saved info that you can import into a new folder and it will work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:48 am 

Hm, I don't actually remember how the install for this game works. I think at the most you would have to do a regular install, then copy the files over from the old PC. FFXIVUpdater should recognize that you have the most recent files and what not. That's my assumption, anyway. I've learned never to trust assumptions when it comes to SquareEnix, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:36 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Save Files / Macros:

Like any game (or application) made for Windows Vista/7, the application/game cannot make changes to your Program Files folder except when given elevated admin rights (which generally only happens during install).

Meaning, any modern application/game will always store your personal settings and save games in one of two places. The only two places an application will have write access to that will already exist on your PC:

- My Documents
- Application Data

My Documents is easy to find, Application Data is usually hidden. Which one the application uses depends whether they want you to see/fiddle with the settings or save files yourself. Games will almost always use My Documents. But if you want to find Application Data, type %AppData% into a Run box and hit enter.

Incidentally, FFXIV uses My Documents.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\My Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\
Vista/7: C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV\

Just copy that entire folder somewhere and then put it back in the same place on a new PC. All of your macros and stuff should transfer over.

The Application

Unless the application is designed to run without installing (like Steam) I would personally re-install the application if you are able to. Once you've reinstalled the game, then you can copy a backup folder backup over the top of it to "update" it. But again, this is on a case by case basis, don't just assume it will work. It really depends on how the game has been made. Some games store their current version numbers in the registry, for example.

For FFXIV, I'm pretty sure you can drop an updated copy on top of itself, but only after you install the base game. FFXIV doesn't seem to work like FFXI, there's no "file verification" that can check whether files are corrupt/wrong and automatically redownload them. It just downloads patch files in succession that can patch the game from one version to another. Luckily I think the current patch version is stored in a file inside the game data folder.

Summary

- Copy Documents\My Games\FFXIV (Personal Settings) to your external.
- Copy Program Files\Square Enix\FFXIV (Game Data) to your external in a different folder.
- Install FFXIV onto the new PC using it's original DVD. Do not run it after installation.
- Copy "personal settings" back onto the new PC in it's original location. However if you're upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 bear in mind the change of folder location further up in the post.
- Copy "game data" folder back on top of itself in your Program Files folder. If you have upgraded from XP to Windows 7 64-bit, bear in mind that the game will now be installed in "Program Files (x86)" instead of just "Program Files". Tell windows to overwrite/replace everything ("Yes to All") when it asks.
- Run FFXIV config tool, set resolution, detail settings, etc.
- Start game, it SHOULD have kept your macros and skip doing any (large) updates.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:23 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Awesome, thank you very much. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

I am going from Windows 7 (64 bit), to Windows 7 (64 bit) so it should be rather easy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:20 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

what the fuck would we do with out ket?

:love: \:D/ :love: \:D/ :love:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 pm 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Yarr wrote:
what the fuck would we do with out ket?