It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:12 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So anyone planning to play this? Looks like it comes out December 20th, and pre-orders are available now. I have some RL friends who are probably gonna be playing it, and I'm curious how big the draw is around here.

Admittingly, I know very little about the game, but people have said it looks pretty solid. They could all just be fanboys, though. haha

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Me and my room mate are going to play d3 or swotor, haven't decided yet, we were going to wait and see which one our friends Che to play irl.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I plan to check this game out. I don't know anything about it, and doubt I will play hardcore. It looks really cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:02 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

It looks OK to me, but I'm not interested at all in playing it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:16 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

I'm in beta and love it! :smug:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:14 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I played a bit during the weekend Beta, and while the game has plenty of flaws. It does enough right that I will be purchasing the game on release.

Whether I renew my subscription; however, really depends on max level content, bug fixes, and post-launch content.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:43 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Will there be an open beta before release? I know some games do that (FFXIV did). I would like to check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 pm 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Kluya wrote:
Will there be an open beta before release? I know some games do that (FFXIV did). I would like to check it out.

Doesn't look like it but if you pre-order you get early access.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:53 am 
Tough!
Tough!

I'm in the beta as well. There are definitely some things they need to tweak for PvP. Warzones bump everyone's stats up to the max, but higher level players have access to better gear/spells that completely annihilate lower level people.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Okay, so Kitty and I had played this for about a week, or so, before his motherboard took a long run off a short pier, but I figured I'd post an update to this thread, in case anyone was interested

So far my impression of the game is...

World of Warcraft: Star Wars Edition.

Game play is pretty much identical to WoW, which I will say is a good thing. The controls are intuitive, the game was easy to pick up, and the layouts of maps, quest clusters, dungeons and "elite" mobs are all basically taken from WoW. I enjoyed all of those features in WoW, however, so I don't mind it at all.

Having played FF14 for the better part of a year, however, the graphics do make me sad. FF14 is a pretty game. It may be copy/pasted to all hell, but it was pretty. Star Wars lacks a lot of this. Again, sort of like WoW. It doesn't have the cartoony feel, but it just doesn't have the awesome graphics 14 has. I still love sprite-based video games, however, so that doesn't really make or break it for me. I heard that they disabled the highest graphic settings at release, because they hadn't worked out all the FPS issues they were encountering. So the graphics may get cleaned up more later on. Either way, whatever.

The storyline, however, is truly epic. The voice acting is good, I feel really attached to my character (unlike 14), and you get to make choices during cutscenes that affect your character's pull towards the light/dark side. And you get access to certain gear depending on your light/dark levels. Yes, you can be a... nice-ish... sith, or a douche-bag jdei, if you really wanted to.

Then there's the whole issue of the game being based around Star Wars. This is really cool if you're a huge Star Wars nut (I'm not). If you're more of just an RPG player (like me), then your results may vary.

Enjoy playing mage jobs in MMOs? Well, I hope you like lightning bolts, 'cause I don't remember any jedi/sith fire/ice/super-spiffy-awesome spells in the movies, do you? I'm a level 19 sith sorcerer, and I basically have like 5 different lightning related spells. There's some force push back, snare, DoT stuff, but whatever.

So while it's cool that you're kind of in the Star Wars universe, you're playing the game hundreds, or thousands (Sadly, I'll admit I'm not really sure what time frame this all is. I'm not huge into star wars lore), before any characters you really know. So it's not like you're gonna be seeing Yoda around, or anything.

So yah... The game, to me, is better than FF14, but I do think basing it on Star Wars will make the game very limiting for designers. You get a light saber at level 10, or whatever. Awesome. So now I'll be looking at the same lightsaber graphic (Different colors, sure), for the rest of my gaming career in this game. No epic weapons to collect based upon looks (like the ifrit weapons), no lobbing giant ice boulders, at people, no chance of summons, no riding around on a neat cat mount you got as a drop from some raid.

Maybe that sounds more negative than it should, I dunno.

Basically the game is fun to play, the spent a lot of time making the world feel like star wars, and if you love star wars, you'll probably love this game. If you're worried about how limiting keeping everything in the star wars universe is, then you'll probably eventually get bored with the game. I am kinda sad I'll never have a neat-looking weapon than a light saber. All they can really make look epic on it is the hilt. And unless they really screw with lore, I don't expect to be seeing any non-lightning based spells and such for the mage classes. I'm sure bounty hunters can shoot fire, or something, but that's not the same. So I guess getting fancy armor will probably be the name of the game.

I think I'll get my money's worth for the game, to be sure. I mean it's not hard to squeeze 60 bucks of entertainment from a game. I bought two collector's editions of FF14, and I still think I got my money's worth. But since I'm not a huge star wars nut, I think I'll ultimately get a bit bored having to live restrained within that universe. I want fancy cat mounts, fire spells, and neat-looking weapons.

If anything, this kinda just makes me wish I had started back up on WoW again :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Sounds cool. Are you stuck on one world or can you travel? I think there is enough lore throughout the movies, and books(which I never read) to make a huge game. Its the universe, not just a single set of continents(like FF). Would be cool to go to a new planet where gravity is less, and be able to jump 30 feet and be strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 pm 
Incredibly Tough!
Incredibly Tough!

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on the game, and I'm not a star wars fan so it just doesn't click for me, though I think it's a really cool game for the SW fans. Also like you said the graphics are kinda meh when you've been looking at xiv for so long. Anyways I'm more super pumped over Guild wars 2 haha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:37 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I'm not really surprised at your review. I was curious just how much they could expand the theme of the jedi into actual working classes over the long term without taking huge artistic license leaps. But there's only so far you can go before it's something that wasn't already made canon and then you just tick off your obsessive fan base.
It's not something I'd personally play as I was never interested in SW or the scifi genre, but I'd be vary curious how it fairs a year from today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, there's lots of different planets. Each one caters to a certain level range, sort of like zones in WoW. Some planets have more areas than others.

You get a spaceship as your "moghouse" type place, which is kinda cool. You can fight space missions, which are like flying-on-rails type deals, sort of like star fox, where you have some control back and forth, but for the most part you're following a pre-defined path.

And yah, the lore will do a ton for being able to make cool expansions and storylines and dungeons and things like that. But on the other hand, you're limiting your weapon potential in the sense that a lightsaber can really only be customized via color. Non-jedi/sith chars will have access to cool weapons, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

But really...what is cooler than a light saber? I know they can't get really facny looking, but I think they are one of the neatest weapons out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Galindar wrote:
But really...what is cooler than a light saber? I know they can't get really facny looking, but I think they are one of the neatest weapons out there.

I think the issue is that you can never really get anything "better". They can't just add a better weapon, because then you're claiming something is a better weapon than a lightsaber.

They could make lightsabers with better stats, I guess (not that that makes any sense either), but it'll still look exactly the same. Nobody wants to be stuck with the same old weapon for years on end.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:49 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

that's even worse than ffxiv's armory system

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

But I have two lightsabers :O but yeah, once you get a lightsaber, you can add things to it to increase stats. but its still a lightsaber.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, the game has a socketing/materia type system. So you can upgrade the crystal in the saber, the hilt, other things to boost the stats. and there are sabers that are stronger than others, of course. But ultimately all that will change is the color of it.

All that being said, Kitty and I still had a blast tearing through crap yesterday. It's a decent game with those lore-related caveats.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion