It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ket Plays Some Stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:25 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Made another video, because I'm still playing it and I felt like it. Nobody's pitching in, so I get to decide what the videos are /shrug. Just a video of some random fights while exp farming.

Random monologue of thoughts:

Not sure where to go from here, kinda mostly talking to myself, and I've not really bought a whole lot of new games lately either. Sometimes I record stuff and I don't think it's interesting enough to show either. I recorded like an hour of the new Civ 5 Gods and kings expansion, but it felt too boring even for me to watch back.

This thread was also essentially just meant to be a more visually interesting "what have you been playing this week" kind of thread. I wanted to get some videos of multiplayer games with people here but the opportunity has just never really come up.

Was also thinking of maybe just unblocking the youtube channel and making them all visible. Right now they're all unlisted except for this thread, so I tend to get an astonishing 10 views, many of which are me testing the video.

PS: FF12 really would have made a pretty decent MMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I'd pitch in but my connection is so trash that I don't bother, because it takes forever to upload anything.

I loved FF12 and got up to the last part (i'm assuming) the bahamut ship or w/e, and then turned it off one day and never bothered finishing it. I grinded the crap out of that game.

Prety sure I still have the save game on ps2, maybe i'll finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:01 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

XII was a lot of fun. The game was great, except the plot and ending were weak. But it was so fun and easy to play, even the grinding parts wern't difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I liked FF12. Many did not. I think those that liked it had played FF11. haha. I think it would have made a decent MMO, too. I was really hoping that they were going to use that universe for FF14, so we could play as those races instead of the rehashed FF11 ones.

I would have been a moogle, but I'm sure so would everyone else.

Ket, these videos are fun to watch. Don't get discouraged, if you like making them. I haven't been playing much of anything worth recording, sadly. Was basically just minecraft and then Diablo III. But even I haven't played D3 for the past few days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:37 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I decided to make all my videos public so they'd list normally instead of only being available if you look at this thread. I'll probably attach them to my Steam account too.

Unfortunately, Youtube has decided to change the "date" of all my videos to the moment I made them public. Which makes sense I guess, but it's buggered up the order of everything. Bah.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Lame. haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

That sucks Ket, I like watching the videos. You should add some commentary!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:28 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

What if.... Ket IS......

Cynicalbrit! aka TotalBiscuit! :o :shock: :o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Nah. I do watch his stuff pretty regularly though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:52 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Orcs Must Die! - Twin Halls Gameplay

I actually recorded and uploaded this video about a week ago, but hadn't gotten around to posting it here. Orcs Must Die is sort of like a third-person Tower Defense game except it's almost entirely trap based.

Unfortunately, it came out around the same time as Dungeon Defenders so it kind of got swept aside a bit. The main downfall the game had, and probably part of the reason it fell behind Dungeon Defenders, is that it had no multiplayer. There's a sequel that just came out that does have multiplayer though, so I decided to play this game again.

It's sort of like playing Hunter in Dungeon Defenders, with unlimited trap charges, but without the loot and with the RPG/stats almost completely tuned out. So the game has a lot more of an arcade feel to it and basically no grinding whatsoever. The game has a lot of personality too. There's a sequel just came out with 2-player co-op so it's worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Final Fantasy XIV - Patch 1.23 Ending / Credits / Nightmare

** Spoiler Alert **

This is the final cutscene from the last major patch in FFXIV 1.0, technically the ending, with the credits tacked on the end to make it a bit more ending like. This takes place after returning to town after the final boss fight. I recorded this because SE said that most of the 1.0 "7th Umbral Era" cutscenes (the Grand Company storyline) will not be re-watchable in 2.0.

You really shouldn't be watching this if you're still playing, because frankly all of the recent story cutscenes are pretty awesome and you should be doing them yourself. But if you've resigned, until 2.0 or otherwise, then you might be interested to see my character's goofy bearded grin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

nice editing, it looks good

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Awesomenauts

Dota 2 too complicated and time consuming for you? How about trying it's 2D equivalent? Awesomenauts can be quickly described as sort of being like 2D Dota. It's got creeps, towers, and heroes duking it out. Being 2D doesn't really hamper it due to the vertical element that Dota games don't have.

Other than the game being in 2D, the main difference is that the RPG side of things is played down a bit, and instead the game plays more like an action game. This means a bit of platforming skill can beat someone higher level than you, and good players can balance out crappier players. This all equates to being harder to suck, and less of a problem when you do suck. It's nice to be able to just jump in and have fun.

It makes the game a lot more approachable and gives it a pick up and play quality. This is wrapped up in a great "80's cartoon"-style package that gives it a lot of charm. The theme song in particular might as well be straight from the 80's.

This is me practicing with Leon, the short-range assassin character, on a bunch of bots with the difficulty cranked up. Though I'm not particularly good at being an assassin, I kinda preferred to just run up and hit stuff with a sword.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:38 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

And another video! It's been a while since I did so many, but I'm technically on holiday at the moment so I actually have time to play games for once.

Orcs Must Die! 2 - Passages Gameplay

So the reason I'd been replaying Orcs Must Die! is because there was a sequel on the horizon. Which is now out so I had to give it a play. So that this video isn't exactly the same as the last one, I decided to play until a bit further into the game so I'd have a later level to show off with more advanced traps and much larger waves of orcs.

It's been less than a year since the last game so really this one is just about "more", more levels, more traps, more upgrades, etc. The big change is the addition of two-player co-op, that the first game sorely missed.

My impression so far is that the game difficulty ramps up much more quickly, probably because I'm playing it solo when the new game is obviously meant to be played co-op. Almost every single map after the first couple has multiple entrances, paths, and exits that are obviously intended for more than one of you to defend. That's not to say it's impossible solo, it just needs a bit more planning.

At first I was kind of sad that they'd replaced the trusty Crossbow default weapon, but now I actually kind of prefer the new shotgun-turned-grenade-launcher Blunderbuss. It makes things explode and fly around which is always satisfying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Escalation

The original game was one of my first videos, and now Transformers is back with a sequel. As before, this has absolutely nothing to do with Micheal Bay's crap, and is instead moreso based on the original G1 but more modernised, taking place on Cybertron.

Anyhow, since my last video was of the game's single player mode, I thought I'd do one of this game's multiplayer mode - one of them at least. This mode is called Escalation, and is basically "Horde" mode from Gears of War, where your group of people have to survive waves of enemies. Joined a match mid-game and played as Ratchet, the Autobot Medic.

My only gripe with this game compared to the first one is that vehicle mode doesn't feel as useful. In the first game areas were wide and open with lots of room to maneuver if you wanted to speed around firing rockets from your car, and the distance from one battle to the next would usually be significant enough to warrant driving your way there instead of running. This one not so much. Otherwise though it's still great if you're a Transformers fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

PlanetSide 2 - Beta Gameplay

I've been in the Beta for this for a few weeks but it was under NDA and I couldn't put out a video of it. That NDA was lifted today so here's some footage from earlier today.

For those who don't know what PlanetSide was, it was an MMOFPS released many many years ago, a little before computers were really able to pull it off properly. I recall that if you had less than 1GB of RAM (quite common) the load times could take almost a minute! Now technology has moved on they're making a Sequel, and it's going to be Free to Play.

Each server is made up of multiple continents, each continent has 20-30 regions and bases to fight over, each base and region is usually bigger than most large FPS maps, and the population cap for each continent is 2000 players. That's a hell of a lot of people, and the game has territory control designed to create a "front line" so all the players are fighting together. In this footage, bear in mind that there's no AI anywhere, and no special ambient effects pumped in: every single person, shot, missile, explosion, and even battles you hear in the distance are coming from actual players in real-time, it gets pretty awesome when you've got hundreds of people fighting over one base.

I snipped out a bunch of the downtime, because the battle for this place went on for a good hour or so. Sadly we ended up getting pushed all the way back to the nearby outpost, and eventually after a night-time battle lost the outpost and pushed back to the warpgate. I recorded the day-time stuff with Fraps, but used the in-game record tool to record the night-time battle. Unfortunately the in-game recording tool apparently sucks so I couldn't use any of it, but hey, beta.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Anyone play Vagrant Story? Been thinking about playing that again. Was a real good plot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:04 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Torchlight II - Act 3 Embermage Gameplay

It's time for a video of not-Diablo 3. This came out about a week or so ago and I've been playing a lot of it. So I didn't actually play Diablo 3 so I can't really give people any comparisons, but I hear a lot of people say it's more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 is. The important thing here is that, unlike Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 was made by a lot of the guys who actually made Diablo and Diablo 2 in the first place, back when they were known as Blizzard North. Whereas Diablo 3 was made by an entirely new team.

So I guess if any of the changes in Diablo 3 put you off, then this game's worth a shot. If it didn't, maybe it's still worth a shot. The game's only $20 after all.

Torchlight allows offline single player, LAN play, and online, all with the same character if you want, along with modding support, which is neat. However, it does mean that it's all too easy for people to cheat if that's their thing. But with no global RMAH economy thing, all you need to do is just play the game among friends and you'll be fine. Sadly, not too many people here are playing it so I've mostly been playing solo. That's kind of disappointing since the 6-way multiplayer is the big thing Torchlight 2 has over Torchlight 1.

Anyhow, this here's a video of me playing as the mage class in Act 3. Nothing too special, just running around and killing things and I run into a mini-boss near the end. I'm starting to get a bunch of unique armor now, though I keep finding really good unique stuff for Outlander and Berserker, which I don't play, maybe someone wants it?

Also, Prismatic Bolt is just way too good; you get that thing at like level 3 and I'm still using it. You just can't beat long range homing bolts that do decent damage and land 4 different status effects. On the other hand, Arc Beam really sucks. The range on it is pathetic and it has a ton of knockback that just knocks enemies out of it's tiny range, you see me use it once or twice for novelty's sake but quickly switch back to Prismatic Bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I will say ember mage is a lot flashier than my Engie in Act 3 =P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:24 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I'm gonna start playing this soon, i've got it but just been busy playing Borderlands 2. Your vid makes me want to play it even more. How long do you think it would take to grind to a co-opable level do you think? I don't know how the level gaps work in this game.

Are they scaled for the local player? or are mob levels determined by the highest level player in the group.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:59 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Frankly, I dunno. Due to the fact barely anybody is playing it I've only done co-op once. I think I read monster levels of outdoor areas are determined by the level of the first person to enter the area, or something. While dungeons have fixed level ranges.

Monsters only gain "multiplayer strength" if multiple people are nearby. If somebody joins your game but isn't actually with you, either elsewhere in the zone or in another zone entirely, the monsters won't get any harder than usual. So technically you can join somebody's multiplayer game and then just do your own thing.

Quests and Missions also seem to be not host-based. i.e. Just because you join somebody elses game who is on Act 2 doesn't mean you're suddenly on Act 2 too. You'll be stuck in Act 1 away from the other person (unless you use the town portal to warp to them) and will have trouble passing through any quest-related doors too -- but your own quests and missions will still be active to do even while you're in the other person's world.

It's a bit of an odd system but since you can have 6 people on at once I guess they wanted people to have the freedom to split up and do their own thing too.

As for catching up, I don't even know how long it takes to get to Act 2, despite doing it like 4 times now through beta and full game. Probably like 4-5 hours or so if you explore and do sidequests a lot, maybe quicker if you just beeline for the main quest. I did a dungeon or two with Corwin while I was like 5 levels lower, and while I could kill stuff just fine, I died really easily. Could have just been crappy gear at the time though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:03 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Torchlight II - Act 2 Engineer Gameplay

And another video of me playing through Act 2 with an Engineer. Mainly I recorded this because I'd just gotten a really awesome hammer that has "10% chance to cast Meteor Strike on kill" -- it makes killing groups of lots of monsters pretty damn satisfying. Best example of this is at around 4:30.

It also acts as a contrast to my previous video, which was all ranged magic damage, with a character specced to take lots of punishment and jump straight into the fray.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

And now for something completely different.

Castle Crashers - Steam PC Gameplay

Guest starring Kioko, with her extremely effeminate, broccoli wielding, rainbow shooting, pink knight.

This game's several years old already, and you've probably already played it on an xbox, but it just came out for PC on Steam so we decided to give it a shot. The port's quite basic, and pretty much requires a 360 controller (although you can use a keyboard, none of the button promps adjust) but otherwise plays fine.

This one's just a bit of random fun. I recall this game did very well for itself when it first came out, before indie games were such a big thing too, yet there still aren't a whole lot of arcade-style side-scrolling multi-player brawlers on the market. Only the "Scott Pilgrim" game, the mediocre remake of "Turtles in Time", and the C&D'd "Streets of Rage HD" come to mind. This particular game has a hand-drawn "flash" style that I'm sure Cyix absolutely loves.

Along the way we fight ninjas on a boat, cross a desert, meet some aliens, ride some camels, and play a round of... volleyball?

Part of me considered recording the voice chat while we played, but it wouldn't have been all that interesting anyway cuz we're boring. Though Kio did have a giggling fit at the camels having a spit attack.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:27 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

The game was fun, it taught me that I have terrible depth perception ^^

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I remember when Castle Crashers came out on xbox live. It was a hit and everybody on my friends list was playing it. Not sure why I never played it. It's supposed to be a lot of fun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion