It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Ket Plays Some Stuff
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:06 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

So now that I have Fraps and real video editing software all set up, I figured why not record myself playing some stuff sometimes.

I play lots of different games across basically any genre, so it's not like I just play FPS or MMOs or anything. I'm not the greatest player in the world, nor do I have anything interesting enough to say to provide commentary, but I figured maybe some people might be interested in watching, or maybe not. Maybe it'll make some people try some new games, maybe nobody will watch at all. Doesn't matter really, I did it anyway.

Keeping things between 10-20 minutes, so usually just a level or two depending on the game, not going to record an entire playthrough.

So without further ado, I play some stuff.

Renegade Ops

This came out relatively recently. It's kind of like a twin-stick shooter, except in cars and stuff. The game is made in the Just Cause 2 engine by the same team, which means it looks great and plays great. More big developers need to repurpose their engines into small downloadable titles like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBC1dXAmWHo

Sonic Generations

The most recent Sonic game that just came out and it's basically the first *good* Sonic game since the Genesis era. Amazing how far a bit of polish can go. It was also half price on PC compared to consoles. The "modern" sections are basically unplayable without a gamepad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQbxJe644g

Dungeon Defenders

Tower Defense game that plays a bit more like an Action RPG. This game is actually 4-player co-op but I'm just playing a random level solo to show it off. It's kinda fun but it's obviously designed to be played multiplayer, you tend to feel like you're running around a lot when you're on your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLyXZuLs-k

Transformers: War for Cybertron

This is basically Gears of War with robots. A far as Transformers games go it's basically the best one anybody ever made though. I played a mission or two through this just so it gets some exposure, since it went mostly overlooked by pretty much everybody. Being able to transform any time you want to is pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWaY-Pe_vu8

Post subject: Re: Ket Plays Some Stuff
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:01 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

This makes me want to record some TF2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:32 am 
Father of Evil Twin Tarus & 1 Mastermind

Yarr wrote:
This makes me want to record some TF2.

Yeah let's do that Yarr so I can kick your sorry arse!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:25 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket you inspired me. Those video's are sweet. I liked the sonic one best.

This is just the first thing I recorded. Although it was a pretty good run

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I really want to play Sonic Adventure 2: Battle now. All I have is Sonic Unleashed :(

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 am 

Hey Yarr I didn't know there was First person view on TF2, When I play its set to 3rd person view so I'll try that to see if will help make me play better or not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:56 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Pantherxx wrote:
I didn't know there was First person view on TF2

:o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol...

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:50 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I also liked the Sonic video the best. Good stuff Ket.

People play TF2 in 3rd person?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:21 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Yarr wrote:
This is just the first thing I recorded.

Sorry, I meant to watch this and comment earlier but I was at work.

I assumed your monitor resolution was 1920x1080 (1080p) but your video appears to have "burnt in" pillar boxes, which means it might actually be 1680x1050 like my monitors. You should check what your resolution is set to inside TF2 or just check the resolution of the raw footage.

Google's own image explaining why not to pillar box:

Anyhow, long story short, if your monitor is actually 1680x1050, then you need to ideally encode it to 1152x720.

And secondly, is it just me or is there no sound for some reason? Or is it just really really quiet?

Either way, good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Oh, and I replayed the last mission of Dawn of War II: Retribution just so I could get a bit more footage.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution

This game is sort of like an RTS if you took all of the base building out of it and instead just gave yourself a few hero units and only a handful of extras.

The start of the mission is cut off because the whole mission normally takes 30-40 minutes and I want to keep the videos between 10-20 minutes. Normally I'd just record whatever I'm playing at the moment but since I'm just starting now it feels like I'm missing out on the chance to record stuff I used to play so I'm going back and recording a few other things like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMYTAI21AkA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

No Skyrim? :iamdisappoint:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:22 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kayne wrote:
No Skyrim? :iamdisappoint:

I don't have it, lol.

To be honest I didn't want to pick it up Day 1 because I found Oblivion to be a bit meh, and I couldn't get Fallout 3 to hold my interest past the first couple of hours either. I think if you make the game a little too open ended and directionless I don't progress anywhere and end up boring myself.

I wanted to at least wait for the possible player backlash that always happens a couple weeks after something releases. The numbers of games that are "omg awesome" on the day they release, and then a few weeks later people are like "actually it was kinda meh" lol.

People keep telling me that Skyrim's better though. I'll probably pick it up closer to Christmas when it's cheaper and I'll actually have time to play it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:59 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I feel the same way Ket.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:09 pm 

Ketrebu wrote:
Pantherxx wrote:
I didn't know there was First person view on TF2

:o

I just got in this game when I started using steam when Terraria came out and ended up with TF2 "Free" then saw Yarr and others played too so I Join it for more group from CKD fun! \:D/ heh

Funny thing is when I started the game it was set to 3rd person view somehow..... werid? :?

Kluya wrote:
I also liked the Sonic video the best. Good stuff Ket.

People play TF2 in 3rd person?

Try it and your crosshair will be still there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:16 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

This thing finally appeared on the UK Steam store, been wanting to get this. Here's some gameplay from near the beginning of the game.

As much as I love the execution animations used for getting health back, its quite disappointing to see that there are only about 3 of them. Btw, I don't usually suck this much with a Sniper Rifle, but I had to turn the mouse sensitivity way up on this game compared to it's default setting (it was super sluggish otherwise) and it fudged the sniper controls.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Terraria

With guest stars Yarr and Pantherxx!

There's been a giant free update for this game recently and we decided to try out a bunch of the new hard bosses. This doesn't even scratch the surface of the game I've already clocked over 160 hours on, the sheer amount of content you get for $10 is insane. This video just shows a couple boss fights, while the game usually consists of digging/exploring/fighting around underground, and building houses/villiages above ground. Maybe I'll do another video with some of that if people care.

First boss was pretty easy, we already have some decent equipment and his mvoement pattern is nothing mroe than slowly edging towards you. Second fight is versus "The Twins", which are two giant floating eyeballs that are best fought out in space using anti-gravity potions. And finally we fight The Destroyer, which is like a giant mechanical worm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:03 am 

This game is soo much fun now!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Those boss fights looked pretty fun. haha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:46 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah ridere you should play a little again with us. The boss fights are kinda fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:17 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I may! I've just been farting around in minecraft since getting everything set back up at the new place. I have an office now! Though I'll still probably just use my laptop downstairs in the media room, since I'm not playing any computer-heavy games anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:56 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

the study isnt setup in our new house. So im using an old tv stand + an ikea chair. This will do until we start and finish painting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It's Christmas, so I actually have time to play some more stuff. With the Steam Christmas Achievements going on at the moment, a lot of these are going to be centered around that. Smaller/indie games. I don't bother to record every game, because I don't want the videos to be too long and I don't know how long some of these achievements will even take.

But anyhow.

BIT.TRIP RUNNER

Let it be known that this game is a hell of a lot harder than it looks. If you make a single mistake you have to restart the whole level. It's a good game but once you get to around level 10 or so the difficulty shoots up and the fun will turn to frustration, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzvgGSF_wR0

Beat Hazard

Epilepsy Warning! This game will melt your eyes off. The beat and volume of the music controls how powerful your weapons are and how many eye melting particle effects are everywhere. This achievement requires you to survive 20 minutes while listening to terrible christmas songs. Unfortunately I only lasted 9 minutes or so and then got myself into a mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBkv2KgUrDI

Super Meat Boy

Argh. This game IS as hard as it looks. Unfortunately the game crashed while I was recording so I had to start recording again. It looks like I beat this in about 2-3 minutes but it actually took me 20-25 minutes. The achievement requires that you beat just one of the Xmas levels, I picked the one that looked easiest, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A-j1OPVIKw

Dungeons of Dredmor

This game was incredibly cheap and I was interested in it anyway so I picked it up to get it's achievement. I originally started playing just to get the achievement but I ended up getting sidetracked and played the game for a good 6 hours by accident. This is what's known as a "rougelike", think Diablo if it was turn based. No monsters will move or attack unless you do so. This is me a few floors deep on my current character, and permadeath is on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAxwCLd-ooY

I've been thinking of recording Magicka sometime because I never finished it. I may ask some CKD peeps to join me and we can have a 4 player wizard-suicide romp. Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 am 

ket I got Magicka with all DLC and I never got it done due to need more other real players to join the fun than to solo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:24 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im down for Magicka

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion