It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ket Plays Some Stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:24 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

That's a good idea, I should create an alt to get around that bs!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Its on sale now, 50% off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Me, Soul, and Krellis (and Corwin early on, but not in this video) were playing Sonic again. I had a race where I happened to rocket from last all the way to first so I decided to clip it out as a video. Had to strip this out of the livestream to make it into a separate vid. So sadly this is the highest quality I have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:05 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Ah that race sucked! I kept getting bounced around in the middle to front until Ket sent me to the back and I stayed there lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Sonic is -75% today omgs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

OK so Im very tempted for the sonic racing game. Is it still fun single player?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I had a lot of fun single player, but the best is multiplayer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

ok im gonna get it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:59 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

I seen this game on the steam sale at one point and thought I'd try it out. The game has a quick learning curve enabling you to get familiar with any characters moves within about 15-20 minutes, now considering I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since the Genesis, be gentle.

The graphics are overall decent, stages all look great, sound is good, blocking system is interesting, fatalities are cool and overall It's a fun game.

There are several different game modes to play through, the first being the instant 'Fight' where there are these sub-options:

• Ladder - Fight through 10 opponents with the last being Shao Khan.
• Tag Ladder - Same as above but with 2 characters or a friend!
• Test Your Luck - Roll a slot machine to determine random rules & modifiers for the fight.
• Test Your Might - Mini game where you break boards and stuff.
• Test Your Sight - Mini game where you see if you can keep your eye on the eye...?
• Test Your Strike - Mini game where you break bricks etc.

Every fight including challenges give you 'Kurrency' which lets you unlock various costumes for characters, bgm, new fatalities and a couple of other things. There are also 300 challenges for the hardcore to unlock.

I've intentionally left anything to do with the Story out to avoid spoilers, but overall It's a great game. I'll definitely be playing the 2 v 2 Tag at the next LAN party.

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: / 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Mercenary Kings

This game reminds me very much of Metal Slug & Contra with a lot of twists and turns, the whole upgrade system is cool and while it is early access there is quite a lot of content to keep you occupied. Some missions however are repetitive and the controls feel a little clunky to begin with, but after 30mins or so you get used to them.

I really wish developers would stop releasing unfinished games, as once you've played through an earlier version of a game there isn't as much incentive to replay or continue playing the game based on your first impressions. But maybe that's just me.

That aside, this game is pretty darn good and I'll just leave it at that for now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Devil May Cry 4

This was quietly on sale during the recent Steam summer sale, and I picked it up in protest of the abomination that people call "DmC". PC version runs spectacularly; it's not the most demanding of games, but it's still current gen, yet without Fraps running I was hitting almost 400 FPS, lol. Sadly, YouTube limits it to 30.

Played it a long time ago when it first came out on console, so I'm rusty, and this is only the normal (Devil Hunter) difficulty, but it's still a whole lot of fun. Sadly, if you're looking for crazy combos and stuff, you won't find them here. Still, I guess I'm pretty decent at it.

This is just two snippets from two random missions plus their bosses, while playing as Dante. I'd been doing really well until the boss at the end of the video, and I messed up on it pretty bad. That said, I still somehow managed to pull S-rank out of it.

I also kept the cutscenes in, because they're lovably corny. Second one is at an Opera House, just in case you're wondering wtf is going on in that cutscene.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:40 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Random news:

So I realised the other day that I have a really long HDMI-DVI cable going between my PC and TV that's no longer used. It's no longer used because all three of my graphics card's outputs are now used for monitors. I figured that since the cable should be bi-directional, maybe I can make it go the other way by putting a HDMI adapter on the DVI end.

So I've connected it to my PS3. Thing is, a PS3 can't do it. The reason being "HDCP", a form of encryption used over HDMI to prevent you from capturing or recording data that passes through it by putting something in the middle to intercept it. But it turns out there's a HDMI splitter that exists that quietly removes HDCP from the signal before splitting it, it doesn't advertise itself as doing so (because you're not meant to!) but I had it on good authority that it worked, and it was $20, so I ordered one.

So that's what I did, and now, bam:

Attachment:
File comment: PS3 via XSplit
ps3split.png
ps3split.png [ 513.75 KiB | Viewed 6306 times ]

I can record and/or stream PS3 footage, or anything over HDMI really. This is also great because my TV channels come in via my PS3 (UK thing, don't ask), and I can now have them in a window on my desktop instead.

But since I can now stream PS3 stuff, I can find something to play for you guys irl. I just got Tales of Xillia so I'll be playing that tonight. I might stream it, cuz I know at least Kio will watch, cuz she's as dorky and into JRPGs as I am.

I've been practicing streaming setups and stuff for a while now. My ultimate goal is to use it for A Realm Reborn. Specifically, I want to stream what's going on inside an instance/event when some people are sitting out. Stuff like when 1-2 people have to sit out of a Garuda run, and have no idea what's going on until everybody pops back out dead. I'm hoping to stream the inside so they can see. Should be nifty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That's interesting, Ket.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:41 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Tales of Xillia - Coliseum Beginners Single

True to my word, I've been playing Tales of Xillia on my PS3. Having a blast so far, and decided to give the recording quality a test.

For those of you not accustomed to the "Tales of" series, they're JRPGs that are still pretty heavily rooted in their origins. Plenty of Japanese anime-esque stuff and corny story. They're no Square Enix cinematic showcases, but they're usually lots of light-hearted fun. The main draw of the "Tales of" series though is that it doesn't use a turn based battle system. Instead, it's very action based. Encounters take place in an arena you're free to run around with you and your party, with attacks tied to the direction you're holding when you hit the attack or Arte (ability) button. The rest of your party are controlled by AI, which are configurable and not too terrible, but you can plug in additional controllers and play with friends too.

This is a coliseum battle I did right after unlocking it. It's also solo so I don't have any party members with me, which makes for some terribly annoying lack of crowd control. Sorry for the blah during the first wave and last wave; enemies you can't stagger make for difficult fights with nobody to back you up. Normally battles don't happen in waves like this, and are usually a lot more frantic with your 4-man party, but that's just the nature of the coliseum. I think once I unlock team battles at the coliseum I'll record one of those too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Oh nice another coliseum battle in a tales game I loved the one in Vesperia where you fought other bosses in previous tales games it was fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:58 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Well, here's something I haven't updated in a while, but that's because Ket hasn't really played anything else since FFXIV came out. Well, a PC version of this came out and I'd heard great things so I gave it a shot. I also wanted to give Nvidia ShadowPlay (game DVR) a try and I'm really impressed with the quality and how easy it was.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

So there's a bit of a story behind this game. It was originally being made in Japan, and was shown off mostly as a tech demo for their new technique for slicing 3D objects on the fly in-game. But the studio has practically no experience making these kinds of games, and ended up canning it. Fast forward a few years, they eventually gave it to Platinum Games to remake from scratch, the guys who made Bayonetta and made up of former Clover Studio (Viewtiful Joe, Okami -- RIP) members. And what a game it was.

The game is essentially still built around the same tech-demo gimmick from years past, but they managed to really build a hell of a game around it. They took the idea and ran with it, making what's probably the first game where wielding a sword actually requires you to swing it like a sword, and where cutting things up with a sword is actually cutting things up, and not just beating it with a sword-looking wooden stick until it falls down dead.

Add a pretty decent action game around it, throw in a pumping soundtrack (it's really good, probably what the game is most known for at this point), and sprinkle in some crazy over-the-top Metal Gear nonsense, and you've got a recipe for success. The only fallacy is that the game is pretty short, even by action game standards. A full run-through will take you 5-6 hours, but skip all the cinematics and dialogue (second playthrough) and you can beat it in probably 2-3 hours. But if this thing ever goes on sale and you're into these, I'd recommend it.

As for my playthrough here, it's a second playthrough on Hard, so I already have most of the upgrades and a rough idea of what to do on each boss. Doesn't mean I'm that great at it though; the Monsoon boss in particular took way too long because I kept missing his head. The most annoying thing is that I almost S-ranked the final boss but I made a really stupid mistake right at the very end and took a massive blow to the face that took 3/4 of my HP. Ouch.

Video is just bosses, one after the other; 30 minutes of it. Technically could be considered spoilers, if that bothers you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I bought Metal Gear Solid Rising shortly after it came out. Was really excited about it because the Metal Gear Solid games are among my top 5 best series. This game though, I found reallllllyy frustrating; and I feel pretty competent in action games. I didn't like the health recovery method (maybe this changes later in the game?) by consuming enemies, and the parry system pissed me off too many times.

I probably didn't give it enough of a chance. Looking forward to Ground Zeroes however.

In other news, I am looking forward to getting a new GTX card that supports ShadowPlay because obviously I love recording footage too. How much of a cache can you set it to save at once? The way it was explained to me from a friend is that it basically works like a DVR and you can hit a button and save a clip of gameplay in case something cool happened and you weren't already in record mode with Fraps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

ShadowPlay basically works exactly like the new "Game DVR" feature in the new PS4 and XB1.

While it's enabled, whenever you're playing a game, it will constantly record it using the embedded hardware mp4 encoder on the graphics card, which unlike Fraps means no performance loss at all. At max duration and quality settings, it'll record 20 minutes of 1080p footage into about a 7GB file. (For reference, a Fraps file is about 4GB every minute or so at 1080p)

The idea is that you just keep playing as normal, and then when something "awesome" happens, you hit the hotkey (default Alt+F10) on your keyboard, and the last 20 minutes will be stripped off into it's own MP4 file, seamlessly in the background (a little icon flashes in the corner of your screen to tell you that it worked). ShadowPlay then starts recording a new 20 minute stream file, ready for when you hit the hotkey the next time.

The 20 minute DVR-style file overwrites itself on the fly so it always contains the last 20 minutes. You don't have to worry about leaving it on all the time, it won't fill up your HDD, and if you never hit the hotkey everything that gets recorded is deleted. It's really good.

The only draw back is that it ONLY works when the game is run in Fullscreen mode. Neither windowed or even a full-screen "borderless windowed" mode works. The game MUST be running in proper full-screen mode and have focus. Hopefully it's something they can eventually patch in, but I assume this is something to do with how the dedicated MP4 encoder chip works.

To use ShadowPlay all you need is the latest Nvidia drivers (with the "Geforce Experience" installed) and an Nvidia Kepler-level GPU (GTX 600/700 series) or higher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

zuldane wrote:
I bought Metal Gear Solid Rising shortly after it came out. Was really excited about it because the Metal Gear Solid games are among my top 5 best series. This game though, I found reallllllyy frustrating; and I feel pretty competent in action games. I didn't like the health recovery method (maybe this changes later in the game?) by consuming enemies, and the parry system pissed me off too many times.

Oh I forgot to answer this part.

The health recovery system does not change, however you can actually just use health items. Most people don't realise that you have to actually equip "Health Nanopaste" first. Then, like MGS "Rations", as long as you have some, your health will be filled if it hits 0%.

If you suck at parrying, the game also doesn't make a big fanfare about the fact that you CAN dodge. In fact, some of the later attacks especially by bosses cannot be parried (signified by a gold flash before an attack instead of the usual red one). This is a skill you purchase very early on (the second one I think) called "Offensive Defense". The game doesn't really explain what this does or how to do it though. Essentially, if you hit Light Attack and Jump at the same time as a direction, you'll dodge to the side, eliminating the need to parry. In the hardest difficulty mode, you still take some damage if you parry attacks, teaching you to not rely on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:10 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket you sonuvabich go play Spelunky.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:07 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

wow i am getting so nostalgic watching sonic. also that transformers game is beast.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

So Ket have you tried recording any PS4 games? I heard it currently only publishes to facespaces(facebook)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

testing out that whole PS4 share thing. basicly had to share it on facebook, then had to download the video from facebook followed by uploading it to youtube -_-;;

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:03 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

you sir, need to get schooled by my 4 year old at Marvel Superheroes. i'd recognize that statue of liberty anywhere!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Dustdevil wrote:
you sir, need to get schooled by my 4 year old at Marvel Superheroes. i'd recognize that statue of liberty anywhere!

lol I couldnt land on the statue of liberty... what was I doing wrong?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion