It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Skyrim created a new gaming meme
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

"I used to be a _____, then I took an arrow in the knee."
or
"I used to do _____, then I took an arrow in the knee."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-took-an-arrow-in-the-knee

I think it's pretty funny that hundreds of random NPCs in Skyrim used to be adventurers until they took an arrow in the knee.

Post subject: Re: Skyrim created a new gaming meme
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:46 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol,

So a few weeks have passed now. How is this game still living up? Like Ket said, i'm hesitant to buy any of these new "american" RPGs anymore. I got burned hard on Dragon's Age after realizing I can't grind levels out. I actually enjoy that. haha

I haven't wanted to buy this until people say (weeks to months later) that it's worth the price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:05 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

its so good. i havent even touched FF11 since i got skyrim. its considerably better than oblivion. i cant even find anything to complain about other than it being addictive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp used to play FFXI, then he took an arrow to the knee.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:40 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I'm about 140 hours in (maybe more, haven't checked recently) and around lvl 65 and still haven't finished the main quest since I keep getting sidetracked. Think I'm going to try to finish it this weekend then go back to side quests.

Shittiest part about Skyrim is that I'm not playing anything else at the moment, so BF3 was a total waste of money, especially since people already stat padded to the top, there's a lot of suspicious shit going on in the game now (e.g. being shot/followed through a wall when you've been silent, haven't killed anyone, and are using every suppressive means necessary to stay undetected), and there's like 5-6 servers with less than 100 ping now since everyone else is probably playing Skyrim too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Sounds good, might pick it up when i drops in price. Is it as easy as oblivion? like how you could lvl and get +5, +5, +5 thing? Oblivion was fun, but was to easy if you knew what you're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

It's pretty easy later on, but can be a bitch at times. However I've been playing on master difficulty since the beginning, don't use training by NPCs, and don't sleep or wait in game so that adds to the difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Kayne wrote:
don't sleep or wait in game

Skyrim is a documentary. All events occured in real time.

I've put about 65 hours into it and I really enjoyed it. I get kinda bored once I beat the main story though. There are still things in the game I'd like to do, but I'm taking a break from it for now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

sounds like the npcs in skyrim are all pussies, should be more like this guy:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:22 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Honestly I wish they'd force you to sleep in the game, since it's pretty retarded that my character's been up for half a year straight and hasn't slept a single hour. I thought that they were supposed to require it but maybe it was dropped last minute or I just heard incorrectly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:03 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

How does not sleeping, or waiting, make things more difficult? Just because you bypass scary things that happen during certain times of day? (night monsters, or whatever).

And yah, I also find it hard to do all the little side stuff in a game once I've completed the main storyline. So if I got this, I'd have to make sure I deliberately did everything else I could do first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I just started Skyrim (6 hours in) and so far I'm enjoying it.

I seem to level up fast in Skyrim. For example I'm already level 7, just under 7 hours of gameplay. I believe it took me 30 hours to reach level 7 in Oblivion. In Oblivion and Fallout the enemies level up with you, which actually makes the game harder when you get into higher levels. Is Skyrim the same?

In oblivion I remember it was best to avoid leveling up as much as possible, so you can raise other skills between levels and gain extra stats when you level up. It's pretty hard to avoid leveling up in Skyrim, but it doesn't seem necessary to focus on leveling everything at once.

Ridere wrote:
How does not sleeping, or waiting, make things more difficult? Just because you bypass scary things that happen during certain times of day? (night monsters, or whatever).

Exactly Rid, you can avoid certain mobs by only walking around during the day. Also some quests require certain times of the day. For example you can only enter a house to activate the quest between the hours of 10-12. Not waiting...just seems inconvenient lol. Sleeping was necessary in Fallout because it regenerated your HP and gave you an exp bonus when you are "well rested". In Oblivion it was actually required to level up. In this game you automatically regen HP and level up so sleep doesn't seem necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Monsters leveling up with you is one of my big RPG annoyances. I'm the kind of guy that likes to take my time and do a lot of exploring, killing the whole time. I generally end up getting pretty buff, but that's cool, 'cause I earned it.

I hated FF8 monsters. I tolerated it in FFT, however, but maybe just cause it was random battles only.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:02 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Ridere wrote:

And yah, I also find it hard to do all the little side stuff in a game once I've completed the main storyline. So if I got this, I'd have to make sure I deliberately did everything else I could do first.

Sleeping gives you a +5% to +15% skill up bonus depending where you sleep (had to look this up just now since I thought it was only 5% no matter where -- http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sleeping). Waiting can be used to refill a vendor's gold supply so you can sell more items to them or buy more supplies, or it can be used to wait until the daytime so you can enter a person's house freely instead of breaking in, etc.

I've also avoided stealing as much as possible, but that doesn't really make the game harder since I've still got over 100k gold with nothing to spend it on and a bunch of crap I've dropped on the ground scattered throughout the world that no vendor has the money for.

The one thing I did give into was fast travelling. At first I avoided it since I liked (and still like) the random encounters while travelling on foot, however in order to actually get shit done instead of wandering off into caves for hours on end I finally starting using fast travel.

I don't think you'll get bored of the game after the main quest since there's a bunch of guild related quests to do, but who knows :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:14 am 
Spammer, to the max!

I believe there's some sort of mechanism where enemies level up with you in Skyrim, but it's more limited than Oblivion. I think they basically throw higher-type mobs at you instead of simply increasing their level, or at least it seems this way from personal experience (you'll still run into batches of weaker enemies which you can one shot). Also, it's been said that enemies' level cap is 50 (yours is around 80 if you level every single thing up). However, since the game really relies on perks, the game can still be really difficult if you try skilling something else up like light armor/2h when you're fully or partially perked in heavy/1h and you're lvl 30+.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ok thanks Kayne. I was wondering that about leveling. I feel like I can enjoy this game more than oblivion by freely playing how I want. In oblivion I felt like I had to grind too many things I didn't care about to gain certain stats between levels. So far I like Skyrim more than Oblivion.

By the way did I mention the graphics are fucking insane? This is the best looking game I have ever seen. I keep taking random screenbshots of the scenery, and randomly calling my girlfrriend into the room to look at certain areas. One time she said "No way, is that really a game?" Also I'm playing on ultra settings and it doesn't run my GPU nearly as hard as FFXIV does at mid-high at 1920X1080.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:32 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

i made an archer girl and named her Katniss like from the hunger games. im level 36 and my daedric bow does 158 damage plus 17 frost damage, so 175 damage. my perks are in archery (~95), light armor (~60), sneak (~50), and smithing (100). archer is a really strong class in skyrim compared to oblivion, and its also fun to play.

as you level up you'll encounter stronger enemies. if you enter a cave at level 5, that cave will always be level 5 for the rest of the game, or so i've read. enemies will have names like "Bandit" or "Bandit Thug" or "Bandit Highwayman" for example. You will not see Bandit Highwaymen anywhere until you hit a certain level. if that makes sense. the system seems to work perfectly fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:08 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Yeah, the game really does look amazing sometimes even though they resorted to using some low-res textures. Then again, I'm not sitting there staring at foliage or snow covered rocks close-up anyway so who cares. Plus, if I get all graphics-whorey later on I can always install higher res textures via mods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:18 pm 

Kayne wrote:
Plus, if I get all graphics-whorey later on I can always install higher res textures via mods.

If? More like when, Kayne.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:33 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Corwin wrote:
Kayne wrote:
Plus, if I get all graphics-whorey later on I can always install higher res textures via mods.

If? More like when, Kayne.

lol, I knew you were going to say something :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:41 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I had to screenshot the first NPC that said it today. I will always notice this now.

Attachments:
TESV_2011_12_07_20_35_25_402.jpg
TESV_2011_12_07_20_35_25_402.jpg [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 3377 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:47 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Hey. Got the game for Christmas. Its good so far. What are some of the perks you guys find you like?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:39 am 
Spammer, to the max!

current build: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#39835

going for: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#39850

build I would have if I knew you didn't need to have all perks below the ones leading up to it (e.g. don't need to spend points on fire enchantment, etc. to get extra effect): http://skyrimcalculator.com/#39843

above build at max level: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#39847

basically, my advice is to get the extra enchantment perk and the passive +carry weight/resistance perks. Everything else is up to your playstyle (well, all of it is actually but whatever :P).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:50 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Skyrim sucks you asshats should be playing FFXIV.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion