It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Steam Christmas Sale 2011
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:23 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... 011_day_7/

I dont know what to get today, will probably get nothing. X3 and Batman look interesting. MW3 is still too pricey. just like Skyrum I will probably wait to get those once they release a Game of the Year edition on both.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:45 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... 011_day_8/

Sonic generations!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:46 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

tehkei wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/nraym/steam_holiday_sale_2011_day_8/

Sonic generations!!

I guess im the only one posting stuff in here... everybody doing stuff with their families :foreveralone:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:51 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

If you haven't already played Bastion, you should definitely pick it up. One of my favorite games of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'm a stickler for cheap indie games, most of them I've looked into in the past (I watch a series on youtube dedicated to showing off the latest indie games so I know what I'm getting into). Making them extra cheap for the sale and then giving them achievements also just ends up sealing the deal.

I have no idea how i'll ever find time to actually PLAY most of these games though.

The price for Sonic Generations is great. PC version is superior to the console versions however you REALLY need a controller to play it. Classic sections are ok with keyboard but the later modern sections will kick your ass if you don't have a pad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im super tempted to get Sonic, kinda low on cash due to just moving and buying a new TV.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:08 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Ketrebu wrote:
I'm a stickler for cheap indie games, most of them I've looked into in the past (I watch a series on youtube dedicated to showing off the latest indie games so I know what I'm getting into). Making them extra cheap for the sale and then giving them achievements also just ends up sealing the deal.

I have no idea how i'll ever find time to actually PLAY most of these games though.

The price for Sonic Generations is great. PC version is superior to the console versions however you REALLY need a controller to play it. Classic sections are ok with keyboard but the later modern sections will kick your ass if you don't have a pad.

Yeah I picked up the Sonic Generation game. its such a cool looking game. Which controller do you use for it?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:23 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

OK I got it too, my wife thought it looked fun and she remembers me saying I wasnt going to get it until christmas if it went on sale.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:33 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

There's really only one PC controller these days: the 360 controller.

Almost all PC games can now support/detect a 360 controller and use all the 360 button prompts and layout. It's a bit of a side effect of the majority of PC games actually being 360 ports. It helps that it's not a bad controller either and pretty easy to get ahold of.

That said, if you want one, you need to make sure you get the Windows specific version, and not just a plain old 360 pad. This is especially true if you want to get the wireless version. Using a wireless 360 controller and trying to connect it to your PC with the Play and Charge kit will NOT work. You either need a plain USB wired 360 controller, or a Windows-specific wireless controller that comes with a dongle. They're all made by Microsoft. Amazon tends to be a easy place to find them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

If you do get a 360 pad, get the wired one. The wireless one becomes more of a hassle than is worth dealing with, and you'll end up using a wired attachment with it anyway.
The biggest complaint is that the controller will shut off if not constantly having a button pressed, so for instance if you're in a lengthy cut scene or get up to use the bathroom. And most games will not detect it coming back online, so you have to quit the game and restart it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:06 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

SO i cant get Sonic to use my Nvidia graphics card on my M14x. kinda lame cause when the game gets fast, it gets choppy and hard to tell whats going on :( sadly I don't think I've ever had luck with settings on Sega games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/nsgu2/steam_holiday_sale_2011_day_9/

looks like ill get Terraria today.Installing the sonics game upstairs on my Desktop. Hope I do not have any trouble with licensing. I shouldnt since you cant be logged on to the same account on two computers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

tehkei wrote:
Hope I do not have any trouble with licensing.

Assuming you mean Steam here, then nope, you won't have any trouble at all. All Steamworks games will install on an unlimited number of computers, an unlimited number of times, provided that you log into the machine with your own account and only on one computer at a time.

If you try to log onto Steam on a computer while you're already logged on elsewhere, you can enter your password a second time to force the other computer to log off, its kinda handy.

A Steamworks game is any game that requires Steam to function. i.e.: If you bought the game in a store or even downloaded it off of Amazon, it will still make you install Steam to play it. That's Steamworks. Incidentally, any Steamworks game can be bought elsewhere, then you can enter the cd-key into Steam and Steam will unlock the game as though you bought it directly from Steam. You can use this to buy the games cheap off Amazon download service sometimes.

Bear in mind that some games on Steam are not Steamworks. Although they still adhere to the Steam DRM, sometimes the publisher will include/leave in their own crappy DRM too, which does lock it to X number of machines or forces to to be connected to some other crappy service while you play. Games like Crysis and Batman can only be installed on 5 computers ever if I recall.

In general, if the game is made by EA, Activision, or Ubisoft, it's a good idea to read up on it's "third party DRM" before installing it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:45 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Thanks for Terarria! Ket is awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:51 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ive been enjoying Dungeon Defenders. Anyone want to play this on line? Just message me, I picked it up for 2.50 the other day and its been a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:55 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Me and Corwin were playing Dungeon Defenders for the christmas achievement. I kinda wish I recorded the battle versus Mega Snowman.

It's good when it's solo but it's a lot more fun when you play in groups. Corwin and I are like level 58-59 though so you might need to level a bit before we can play. Unless the game scales well when your levels are vastly different, I don't actually know.

EDIT: I dunno if powerlevelling is possible either? I have a feeling your tower needs the killshot to get exp from it.

EDIT2: Forgot about my imgthumb tag.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:17 pm 

I'm actually like level 62 now. I did some farming for mana and got a couple levels. I do have level 25 characters of the other classes though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:14 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Ketrebu wrote:
There's really only one PC controller these days: the 360 controller.

Actually, there are two. The 360 and the Logitech F710. The F710 has worked with every game I have tried (including FFXIV and Skyrim). It supports Xinput and Directinput, has optional vibration, floating dpad, and all the same buttons the 360/ps3 controllers have. Its 2.4Ghz and comes with a USB extension cable that you can plug into the back of your PC so you dont need to use a front port, and it brings the dongle further away from the computer to avoid interference. It has an auto shut off feature to conserve the two AA batteries, but wont force you to log in everytime it "wakes up." Only had to replace the batteries twice in the last year I've owned it.

I dealt with the motion joy/PS3 controller problems for too long before I found this controller and its been awesome.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/7361?WT.mc_id=AMR_DR_Q3_FY12_SERP&WT.srch=1&ci=0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:55 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Im still like level 14 lol. I just started playing though

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

i had that gamepad spy and the buttons kept breaking and the rubber peeled after only a few months of ownership. Personally though I don't really like logitech products, I don't have a good history with any of them lasting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:14 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

That sucks, maybe it was a lemon or something. The one I have still works perfect, the only thing wrong with it is the sticker on the battery cover is peeling off. Other than that, it looks and works brand new.

I got it cause I prefer that layout (ps3 style with both of the analong sticks in the middle) than the xbox controller. Its bigger than the ps3 tho and fits my hands better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:25 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ntss5/steam_holiday_sale_2011_day_10/

another Meh day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I have the same Logitech controller Spyder uses. After daily use for exactly 1 year, I’ve changed the batteries twice and had 0 problems. I have to change batteries in my 360 controller once a week if I’m playing normally. This controller is way more power efficient.

It doesn’t lose connections with games when it auto-powers off. I've never had to re-log because of the controller.

The layout and design is somewhere between the 360 and PS3 controller. I love it and would recommend it over anything wired. It works great with FFXIV and my steam games.

Last edited by Kluya on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I may pick up dungeon defenders today.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:15 pm 

I'd recommend it (Dungeon Defenders). Its quite fun.
If you do get it, let me know if you need any help getting the Christmas achievement.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion