It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Anyone play magic the gathering?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

Me and a friend have been missing card games lately. use to play the crap out of dragon ball z and some pokemon. I was looking at magic the gathering and thinking i may try it out, but i dont know where to start. Was wondering if there were any experienced players out there, possibly still playing, who could give me some advice? I know absolutely nothing about starter decks or what boosters to buy or anything.

Post subject: Re: Anyone play magic the gathering?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:40 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I downloaded it on steam lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:49 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yo Fatti,

Kitty and I play and get drunk on saturdays some times with a group of friends.

If you've played it before, then you shouldn't have any trouble starting back up. The basic rules of play remain the same, but there are, of course, all sorts of new abilities.

They've been following this format for awhile now. Each year they release a "Core" set in the summer. These sets have a good balance of all 5 colors, and don't have any crazy non-standard card behaviors. They then release three side "expansions", usually around september, january and may. They tend to fall under a general theme.

Last years theme was based heavily around artifacts, and they just wrapped up their current, as I call it, "Twilight Block" of cards. It was midieval themed with lots of vampires, werewolf, ghost type monsters.

What they sell for starter decks now are basically specialty built decks that focus on 2 colors. They're not random, and you can look up the card lists online, I'm sure. They also offer these things called "Fat Packs" which I highly suggest.

Each new set that comes out (4 a year. Core + 3 side expansions) has a Fat Pack. They include like 8-9 booster packs (each with 15 cards) A separate package of 45 land cards (9 for each color), a 20-sided die, a booklet showing all the cards of the set, some information about the history of that set, and other information. It also contains two small deck boxes for holding a deck of ~60-80 cards, or whatever.

It runs 40 bucks, and aside from only getting one die, it comes with everything you need for two people to start playing. I generally pick up one of these each expansion, just to get a good feel of what cards they offer. Plus, variety is the spice of life. haha

So yah... That's basically that. New core expansion comes out this summer. I'd feel no worries at all with picking up the Core 2012 set right now, though (Think of car year modeling, where it's current year +1). The most recent set, Avacyn Restored, is also pretty neat, from what I saw in the fat pack.

A lot of the stuff in Core 2012 will probably show up in Core 2013, though, so if you're planning on getting the latest and greatest core set when it comes out in July, I'd maybe just buy some Avacyn Restored in the meantime.

Feel free to ask any more specific questions. I'm going to drag myself into the bathroom and beat myself up, since I just nerded it up pretty bad right there.

haha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Lol looks like you scared Fattino away from Magic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:37 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

i actually forgot i made this post. I ended up caving in and buying some magic cards... and then some more magic cards.. and somehow hundreds of dollar went missing but now i have alot of cards from the innistrad block. I went to a couple tournaments for friday night magic and have messed around a little bit. So far i like blue the best.

My only issue so far is i wish i had more people to play with. There were 20ish people at the friday night magic, but honestly, they were some of the wierdest people ive ever met in my entire life. One guy had a long pointy red beard and wore a giant yellow bow tie, and constantly talked about his wizard beard. And he was actually one of the more normal ones.

Hopefully i can find some slightly more normal people to play with haha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:35 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Fattino wrote:
There were 20ish people at the friday night magic, but honestly, they were some of the wierdest people ive ever met in my entire life.

Who woulda thought

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, I haven't done any of that friday night magic shit. I'm lucky in the sense that I have a handful of friends who play, so whenever we have an itch to play some Magic, we can. It's been a few months now, though, just since schedules have been so hectic.

It would be nice to have a bigger pool of people to play with. I hate to put down my fellow nerds, but it's hard to go to those kinds of events and actually find the ones with decent social/hygiene skills. Most are just kinda odd ducks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:00 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

duels of the planeswalkers 2013 just came out 2 days ago, only 10 dollars on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/97330/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:43 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Also available for iOS

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion