It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Starbound
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:51 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

So one of the developers that left Terraria started a new game.. it looks very similar to Terraria with some improvements and maybe an actual storyline... definitely going to check it out when it's released.

http://playstarbound.com/about/

Post subject: Re: Starbound
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:08 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I thought some of the ex-terraria gang that liked making buildings may get a kick out of this.

Ape flu is no joke.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:31 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sign me up. I'll play this with you all. My main complaint about Terraria was the relatively small world size compared to Minecraft, but I still played it a lot there for a bit. So I'd do the same here. I like the numerous building supplies, in particular if it's challenging to collect some of them.

We'll see how it goes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:17 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

For anybody who hasn't been keeping track, this new Starbound doesnt have one world per server.

What happens is you have a spaceship and can travel to other randomly generated planets. Every planet has a set of coordinates (which act as a random seed) so you can travel back to them. You never need to worry about the server becoming exhausted and fully explored, because you can just go explore any other infinite number of planets, which are all procedurally generated, including the theme and what kind of NPCs or monsters (if any) already live there, etc. I think if the planet has an existing population said population can even give you randomly generated quests and stuff, do what they ask, or just wipe them off and claim the planet as your own.

Supposedly everything about how the planet looks is also randomly generated: colours, styles, weather, what the trees are like, even the kinds of items you can find there. There's supposed to be millions of possible weapons due to the fact they are also all randomly generated and made up of other parts and colours, including how they look and how they perform. Even the monsters themselves are supposed to be randomly generated this way.

Everything is a bit more futuristic overall compared to Terraria (we're talking space travel here after all) but that doesn't mean you cant stumble upon planets that look more traditional.

I think the worlds are probably much smaller to compensate for the infinite world system, but it sounds like a great idea and I can't imagine there's anybody who liked Terraria who isn't looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:38 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Yeah, the more I see, the more excited I get. The music from the various videos has been done really well too.

I also like that they are programming in C++ so that its portable. There will be Windows, Linux, and Mac versions. I'm assuming this means for both server/client, which is awesome. If I wanted to host a server, I'd much rather have it on Linux.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Okay, Ket. That's awesome news. I reaaaaally like the idea of random planets used for farming only, allowing for keeping a main planet relatively pretty looking.

We'll have to have an HOA for the main planet, and then let people do whatever they watn to their personal planets. haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Krellis wrote:
Yeah, the more I see, the more excited I get. The music from the various videos has been done really well too.

I also like that they are programming in C++ so that its portable. There will be Windows, Linux, and Mac versions. I'm assuming this means for both server/client, which is awesome. If I wanted to host a server, I'd much rather have it on Linux.

Would there be an advantage to having a server on a Linux box over Windows, or would it just be for stability? I may end up with enough spare parts to make a computer that could probably host servers but not play anything, and I probably won't be able to get Windows for it again.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

When this game comes out we should do something similar to Ket's hardcore challenge for Terraria. Only, before anyone has a clue how to play the game or what to expect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:12 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

haha. That would be a lot of fun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

When exactly is this suppose to come out?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

To quote Duke Nukem: "When it's done."

Which will come out first?

Starbound, or Final Fantasy Versus XIII?

Spoiler: show
There are some reasonably credible rumors floating around that the reason we've not seen it in so long is because Versus is now Final Fantasy XV, and has been moved to the PlayStation 4. We may finally get something when Sony reveal the PS4 on Feb 20th.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:21 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Interesting.

Doesnt Versus take place in the same world as XIII? Thats not something they've ever done before.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:10 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Sort of, but not exactly.

The original idea was that XIII, Versus XIII, and Agito XIII were all part of "Fabula Nova Crystallis" -- a single set of "lore" that all three games would share. For example, they were meant to all share the concepts of l'Cie, fal'Cie, etc.

But each game and it's designer would be open to interpretation of it. That's why it was called "Versus", because it was meant to be another designer's opposing take on the same mythos. While l'Cie in FF13 are people given a mission by a god (basically) in a damned if you do, damned if you don't, situation; in Agito it's more like being forced to fight for one of four warring nations, with memory loss being the consequence instead of turning to crystal/cieth.

Course it never really went to plan. It would have probably worked out a bit better if they'd released somewhat on time, but FFXIII has overall spoiled the idea, people are kind of sick of Lightning and anything to do with her, and so SE have already broken one of the games away from the name, even if it keeps a few of the concepts.

Agito XIII is of course now "Final Fantasy Type-0", and the rumors are that Versus has been renamed to "Final Fantasy XV". That will be an interesting development if they keep the same battle system we knew of before though, because Versus XIII's battle system was meant to basically be the Kingdom Hearts one, laid on top of a more gritty/realistic game. Tetsuya Nomura, of course, being the director of both KH games as well as Versus.

Will people accept that their series is becoming less and less turn based RPG and more and more action-oriented? This has been happening for years now, since FF12 (2006) really, but I'm not sure everyone will have realised until they need to run their character around in the middle of battle themselves.

P.S.: Hi Starbound thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

To continue derailing this thread...

I really liked the game Tales of Destiny and Legend of Mana for the old PSX. There was a Game Cube (I think) game called Tales of Symphonia that Kitty really enjoyed. In fact, I think that may have been the only RPG I've actually ever seen him beat. haha.

Anyway, those were RPG's that weren't turn based. You only had 2D movement in. Sort of like a buffed up Street Fighter game with RPG elements, or whatever, but it was still a lot of fun.

That being said, I'm not sure if I'm happy with the idea of the FF franchise heading that direction. I had little problems with 12. I liked that game. 13 I had issues with, a lot of them, but less of it was due to the actual fighting system (however some of it was).

If they keep up that trend, however, and the game really just becomes one of those games where you wade through monsters spamming buttons to kill lots of them, I may have to bow out. That stuff doesn't interest me.

If the rest of the game was really engaging visually, musically, overall environment, etc, I may be able to over look all of that. Just seems like it wouldn't be titled FF, however, and it should just be another "Mana" franchise game.

I really do miss the SNES and PSX era of the the FF games. Do that stuff, S-E, but with new storylines, awesome, drool-worthy environments, all with your fancy new graphics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Following from Tales of Symphonia: Tales of the Abyss (PS2/3DS) and Tales of Vesperia (360) are both pretty good if you're into action-based battle systems on top of cheesy Japanese-cliché ridden JRPG, both of them are basically evolutions of the system Symphonia used.

There are plenty of "Tales of..." series games, but Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia are all made by the same internal team. If you like any of them you'll likely like all three.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Here to second "Tales of..." series. Unlike FF the battle system is one that remains constant but advanced upon for each series which is refreshing. Such as if it worked last time don't fix it, if something didn't let's make that aspect better. I think it works really well. Although I think it started getting complicated for me. I rocked at Symphonia but Vesperia I felt so derp.
Note to self: Gotta finish Vesperia.

Kind of a shame that the Tales of... series isn't better known. The devs were never loyal to any particular system and just about every game is released on something different. It's like if FF15 was suddenly an xbox exclusive, and FF16 was only on Vita, and then ff17 was a cell phone game and 18 was back to xbox but not localized and 19 was release for super nintendo.
So unless you own every game system ever, a fan cannot follow the series.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Tales of Destiny is the only one I really played, and I know it's strictly 2d, compared to the 3D-ish style of the later ones. But it was a blast. Also the graphic design and everything was just great. I loved the look of the game. I'm a sucker for sprites, though. I miss them. I wish newer games were coming out that just put them to better use. I know it takes more time, or whatever, but that's my opinion. haha.

Another game of the Tales' style was Star Ocean. I got one version for the PSX, and I played a good amount of it, but I never finished. There's a handful of PSX and PS2 RPGs that I bought and never finished.

Sadly, after During college and after, I never really played consoles with as much zeal as I did back when I was younger, back in High School and such. I think I can pretty much blame computers for this. I never had a decent one until like my Senior year of high school.

Now I just do everything online. hah.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:18 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

The fighting in the Tales games are pretty much always 2D. In the 3D games, there were ways to move outside of a straight line but I don't remember the details exactly except for Graces since I just got done with that one. Basically you could free move and use your TP or whichever was used to attack. Basically, the combat is always the same and it's always fun.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:02 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Starbound is up for "pre-order". Pre-ordering gets you beta access. There's still no concrete date for either the beta or the full release other than "later this year".

It's done "kickstarter" style, in that you can pay more to get extra ego-inflating junk like getting an NPC or planet named after you. Game itself is $15.

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. If I buy the game today, when will I get to play Starbound?
A. Your first chance to play Starbound will be when the beta launches later this year, preordering will ensure you're one of the first to play it.

Q. Which platforms will the game support?
A. Windows, Mac and Linux!

Q. How many tracks are included in the Soundtrack?
A. The preorder includes two soundtracks, the Starbound Soundtrack that contains 24 tracks and the Starbound Experimental Soundtrack that contains an additional 40. We will be adding additional tracks over time!

Q. Does my purchase include a steam key?
A. Yup! When the game appears on steam we'll send a steam key out to everyone that has purchased the game thus far.

Q. How come you're doing this Kickstarter style?
A. We're financing the game out of our own pocket and a couple of our team members have had to take on second jobs. We're hoping the preorder will allow them to work full time on Starbound and get the game to you quicker!

Q. What if you don't get enough preorders, will the game be unfinished?
A. No, the Starbound is going to make it out in 2013 no matter what. But by preordering you help it get here even faster.

Q. Will I be notified when the game is available?
A. Yes! We'll send you an email when the beta is ready to download and when a steam key is available.

Q. How will I get access to the game, game keys and other rewards once they are ready?
A. When you complete your purchase, we will prompt you for an email address which we will use to notify you when your rewards are ready. We are also hard at work on an account system where you will be able to log in and see your purchases and get access to beta downloads and steam keys when they are ready. This account system may also be used for other in-game features. Stay tuned!

Link: http://playstarbound.com/store/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Definitely pre-ordering the shit out of that.

According to how many people have purchased each tier... they've already raised $211,895...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Or you could just read what it says in the corner next to the little jumping penguin. ($259764)

Why the difference? Probably people buying 4-packs only getting counted as "1 sold". This whole thing is like Kickstarter, I should make a thread about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Man... I fuckin individually added everything up... go figure. I doubt there was any difference at the time. I'm assuming that if you purchase a 4 pack that the sold number goes up by 4. They've made a lot of money in the last few hours....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:24 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Krellis, buy a 4 pack and give me one.

Seriously it's pretty cool that they offer naming NPCs after you, allowing you to create hats, weapons, making statues after you etc. Some of those options are crazy expensive...still a neat idea though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:42 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Ok.. I actually bought a 4 pack earlier...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol nice

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion