It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Does anybody know how the hell to play Dota?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I just got a Dota 2 invite on Steam.

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

I get the basic idea of what's going on: there's three lanes, creeps attack towers, heroes get exp/loot killing creeps and other heroes, and eventually you push forward and make your way to the enemy base and destroy it.

But there's just so much more crap going on, heroes classified into roles without any explanation of what they all mean, item shops, like a bazillion different items that all do different stuff. I figured if Valve were going to get this MOBA stuff pushed to a wide audience by pulling a TF2 with it they'd do a better job of explaining what to do.

What the heck should I actually be doing? Killing attacking creeps? Roaming the jungle for the creeps just sitting there? Killing other heroes? That seems pretty hard, they just run off or behind a tower.

All I did was set up a private lobby and try against a bunch of easy bots, but I don't think I really got anywhere. I think I had a K/D of like 1/24.

Post subject: Re: Does anybody know how the hell to play Dota?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:11 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

I see Pix playing it all the time on Steam. Message him, he must get it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Haha, this game looks so hard, I haven't played it myself but know a few people who do. They said they basically just got their arses handed to them constantly and gradually figured out what the hell was going on, not much help I know lol

Check here maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:32 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Just had Pix show me around the game. Thanks, irl.

Yeah, it's pretty hard. Not so much that the game concept is difficult to grasp, or that there's a ton of twitch skill involved. But that people have basically been perfecting strategy in this game for so many years, you're a hundred hours behind the learning curve the moment you start. Some people recommend you play for like two weeks just against practice bots before you dare venture online.

Coupled with the fact that if you suck, you lose the game for the team. Unlike an FPS or something where a bad player can just be countered by a good player on the same team, and a few bad players among a group of 32 isn't really noticable, a bad player in one of these moba games just snowballs the match to the enemy team and everyone gets pissed at you.

Despite that, it seems like a pretty fun game with a ton of different characters to pick from. Gonna give it a bit more play over the weekend and see if I can get any better or not. My only worry is that I probably don't have the time this game really needs to get past the "learning curve" phase.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Yeah the game demands a large investment in time. You don't need to go all out and learn everything within days though. You can take your time and learn gradually. Bots are the best way to start, and honestly, are better than a lot of players. Below is a playlist of videos on learning Dota 2. Purge is a good resource that caters to players learning the game. He also does commentaries on pub games and explains the things that are going on for new players as well.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp

This is an epic video of tournament highlights from one of the biggest tournaments in Dota "The Defence", commentated by TobiWan, who is one of the best videogame casters in the business.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I read that Sven's a good character to play if you're starting out, so I gave that a try (against bos again) and actually won a match for once with a 12/7/12 K/D/A.

Now I'm sad that I didn't have Fraps running because it turns out the game doesn't save replays if there are any bots present.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:09 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

If you wanna play sometime Ket, message me. I haven't really played Dota/2, but my friends and I play League Of Legends a good bit which is in the same vein. Dota 2 is a lot harder though, so I suck at it but we can practice.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion