It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Lightning Returns (Final Fantasy XIII-3)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Trailer finally on the net.

Though we've known about this game's existence since TGS or so, details are still rather scarce. It seems that the game works something like Majora's Mask, with a countdown clock that determines when things happen in the world whether you're present for it or not.

The trailer also gives the game more of an open world/assassin's creed kind of vibe.

And if you're sick of FFXIII?

Post subject: Re: Lightning Returns (Final Fantasy XIII-3)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I'm so sick of FFXIII. Maybe I'll just play Final Fantasy 6 with anthropomorphic ponies instead.

Spoiler: show
.... Actually I already played Pony Fantasy 6.... its actually pretty good although I think the sprites aren't as good as the original the other changes are pretty interesting overall.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:08 pm 
Ron Jeremy irl
Ron Jeremy irl

Why don't they make a sequal to a good FF?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:09 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
It seems that the game works something like Majora's Mask, with a countdown clock that determines when things happen in the world whether you're present for it or not.

I hated Majora's Mask for that exact reason. I don't like the countdown clock, it stressed me out. I like relaxing and taking it slow with solo RPG/adventure games.

Galindar wrote:
Why don't they make a sequal to a good FF?

Seriously. I actually liked FFXIII but it wasn't nearly good enough to warrant 2 sequels. The first sequel was so f-ing bad too. I'm still upset they pushed off versus for this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Actually the whole Versus team were pushed off onto FFXIV ARR.

And it's obvious here that SE are trying to recoup money by putting out quick-to-make cash-ins as opposed to developing a full FF series entry. Making a whole new entry takes time, which equals money, as evidenced by how damn long FFXIII itself took to make (and lol Versus, announced E3 2006, two thousand and six).

Making a quick cash-in with reused assets is all SE can really muster while trying to sort out their XIV cash flow. If it wasn't for FFXI's subscription fees they'd have gone under in the past few years. FFXI has made SE the most money out of every other FF ever. That said, even over it's 10 year life, FFXI has made less revenue than a single instalment of CoD makes.

The PS1 games were quick to make and we had a new game every 1-2 years, but Japan as a whole has not adjusted well to the massive scale of HD games, needing much larger teams and budgets, and we're instead seeing games every 4-6 years, and that doesn't pay the bills.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:50 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
FFXI has made SE the most money out of every other FF ever. That said, even over it's 10 year life, FFXI has made less revenue than a single instalment of CoD makes.

That makes me sad. Reason # 564 why I hate the CoD franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:07 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I wouldn't mind some Spirte based games or even some retro-re-styled a la New super mario bros/megaman 9/final fantasy 4 DS games between major released.
I love FF4/FF6/CT but you know what.... I'd buy a new game that was of the same graphical quality as those games with a brand new ( hopefully good) story even if the systems were almost identical.

Its sad that when that when I want to scratch my itch for old school RPGs with something new I basically have to play something fanmade in RPG maker. I guess I'll just sit here and hope that the 3ds/vita eventually get something like the quality of the original RPGs that came to the DS. ( EX. Radiant Historia, TWEWY, Etrian Odyssey)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Vurin wrote:
I wouldn't mind some Spirte based games

Amen...

I miss sprites. Sometimes I wish I was my age now in the 90's instead. To have the money I have now and access to those kinds of games would be awesome. Heck, I'd even maybe want to be a video game developer during that era. I have a degree in programming, but 3D game design doesn't interest me in the least.

Working on a project like Chrono Trigger, or Final Fantasy Tactics, however... yum!

They need more games like Legend of Mana. that's a spirte-based game, but it's still so very beautiful. You can still make a wonderful game using that technology that doesn't look horrible, in my opinion. Get a good musical composition, storyline, and you're good go.

I haven't bought a new RPG game since Dragon Age and FF13, and I thought both were very stupid, since they're not the kinds of RPGs, I like. JRPGs pretty exist only on the DS now, and even that is pretty rare.

I didn't play 13-2, and I'm certainly not playing 13-3. I highly doubt I'll ever even put the originally 13 disc back in the ol' ps3. It just makes me feel bad about the state of RPGs.

Heck 14 was supposed to be my last MMO. That's what Kitty and I told ourselves, "We'll give this one a shot, and after that, no more MMO's" and even that one was disappointing. Now I'm not sure if I want to try and get sucked back in for v2.0. lol

Sucks feeling nostalgic sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ridere wrote:
access to those kinds of games would be awesome.

Thanks to the wonders of emulation, these games still exist! Go back and play the ones you missed. Hell, go and play the games that never released in English that fans have translated.

Lately I've been playing Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+, which was only released in Japan, in English.

- Transplanted the voice and text files from the English release onto the Japanese disc.
- Added a patch to translate the newer text into English.
- Added some codes to trick the internal renderer into using 16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen support!)
- Pop it into PCSX2, play in glorious HD!

I did the same thing for Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Edition not too long ago. Was pretty awesome. It was probably worth it for the new Turbo Mode alone.

Heck these days you can play a ton of old GBA/SNES/etc RPGs on smart phones too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:44 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I had a great time re-playing FFXII on my PC. I don't know which emulator I used but it was awesome. And I had it configured in such a way that it ran the game really smooth at high resolution.

I was playing it from the disc, which had slow loading times. I burned a copy of the disc to an ISO and used that instead, bam instant load.

I wish I had that software on my new PC. I'm too lazy to track it all down, and I don't feel like introducing my PC to anymore 3rd party software.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

PCSX2 is what you're looking for. It doesn't need installing, you just un-zip it to a folder somewhere, which is great because it means your PC isn't full of crap from installing stuff. The "difficult" bit is getting a hold of the PS2 BIOS, because it won't do anything without it.

And an archived video of me playing KH2 as mentioned above, because why not. Game is playing in 1080p but the video is low-bitrate 480p because I ripped this from my stream archive as opposed to actually Fraps-ing it.

PS2 stuff plays great with a 360 controller, and any modern PC should be able to run it at 1080p no problem.

Hit me up if you want links to all this stuff.

EDIT: I made a video for FF12 International some time back too, that one is properly in 720p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cTqSzVx0vU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:55 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I used to have quite the robust ROM folder, so I'm fairly familiar. I was actually going to go through and beat all the Dragon Quest games, but I never got around to it. I beat #1 back in the NES days, and then I didn't really touch another until around #8.

That may stretch the definition of "Good" RPGs, because the early NES RPGs were pretty brutal, but still.

Thankfully, for the most part, I can scratch my gaming itch with a bit of Minecraft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm 
DL Hughley

At this point really the only games I play are the same ones I've played a million times or new entries in series I enjoy (Fire Emblem, Mass Effect [R.I.P.], Etrian Odyssey). I went to a gamestop a while back, looked at every single game in the store, and the only ones I wanted were Mass Effect 3 and Zelda Skyward sword. I eventually got ME3 (and just recently Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fire Emblem Awakening) but Zelda will have to wait until used/refurb Wiis are down to $100 or so. Zelda has gravity I can't escape.

What I'd really like is another old school Metroid on the handheld, it's been a long time since they made any. Same for the post-Symphony of the Night Castlevanias for GBA/DS.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion