It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Why did no one talk about the FFVII Re-Release?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:42 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Seriously? How did I miss this? FFVII is far from my favorite Final Fantasy game, but its worth the 12 bucks to download it again.

I just wish I hadnt spent the money on FFVII on PSN last month lol. ugg

Post subject: Re: Why did no one talk about the FFVII Re-Release?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

fucka you dolphin

I read this wrong. I thought there was finally going to be a re-make. Seriously, if square-enix wants to make a game that would pull in massive sales, they should remake that game.

Everybody would buy it. I'm willing to bet it would be their biggest release ever...and they already have the dang story and game figured out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:49 pm 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

if im not mistake, SE said the reason they haven't done it is because itd basically be admitting theyre a failed company. the goal is to continue making rpgs that improve upon what theyve already done, not remake the same game over and over again. They want to deliver new experiences to the same quality, not the same experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

You're talking about the new PC version rerelease? It isn't exactly anything special from what I've heard. It's a straight port plus a few achievements, and cloud (lol) saving.

I recall hearing it not only had some annoying DRM (internet required to play?), but it had like, optional micro-transactions for exp and stuff, so I never bothered.

Just bust out ePSXe if you're itching to play any of the PS1 FFs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah I considered buying this, but never did for some reason. I have it on my PSP if I ever want to play it again lol.

Fattino wrote:
if im not mistake, SE said the reason they haven't done it is because itd basically be admitting theyre a failed company. the goal is to continue making rpgs that improve upon what theyve already done, not remake the same game over and over again. They want to deliver new experiences to the same quality, not the same experience.

That makes sense, it's just odd because they've done several revamp remakes (like FF3 DS and FF4 DS). They could just treat it as a side project like those releases.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ketrebu wrote:
You're talking about the new PC version rerelease? It isn't exactly anything special from what I've heard. It's a straight port plus a few achievements, and cloud (lol) saving.

I recall hearing it not only had some annoying DRM (internet required to play?), but it had like, optional micro-transactions for exp and stuff, so I never bothered.

Just bust out ePSXe if you're itching to play any of the PS1 FFs.

The DRM is that you must log into your SE account before playing. So yeah, there would probably be no offline playing. Im sure theres a crack out there to get around it.

Im enjoying it since I dont own FFVII on PS1. I only own it for PC. I think its pretty stupid that SE didnt give a patch to the people who already own the PC version, but for 12 bucks Im not crying about it.

Its a huge improvement from the PS version and a slight improvement over the PC version. You can play at any resolution, but the textures and backgrounds are still low res, just blown up.

Cloud saving is pretty stupid. I wish I could turn it off and the achievements are pretty basic.

There is a Boost option (its free as far as I know) that will max out all your stats since you cant edit your save files anymore.

Overall its worth the 12 bucks. I havent played it in like 10ish years so I cant remember most the story details or hidden items.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I wonder how compatible this new revision is with all the mods and stuff people have been working on Qhimm and other places...

I'm pretty much over FF7 tbh, and certainly not willing to spend hours setting up mods just so my eyes don't burn whenever the out of battle models are displayed. But if you can enjoy it I won't begrudge you that enjoyment. I certainly enjoyed the heck out of it back in the day.

Pretty much the only main series Final Fantasies I could replay at this point are 4, 6 and 12. And I replayed 4 and 6 within the last year or so...

I guess I could I probably replay X-2 as well, but it wouldn't be for the plot. I just genuinely like the class system in that game best of all the "modern" FFs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:34 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Can try playing it on a PSP or a Vita. It doesn't look quite as terrible on a small screen. Last PSX FF I played through was FF9 and I did it on my PSP, which was really nice.

If you want to replay 12, I highly recommend you go to the trouble of patching yourself an English copy of the International Zodiac Edition. Having all the gambits available from the start, the locked class based license grids, and the godly "turbo mode" is a godsend.

I might re-play 5 some time, the GBA version is pretty good, and 5 is always a blast to play because you can change the entire experience around a ton by playing as different classes. And it's fun as fuck to break the system as the Freelancer class. Dual-weilding two-handed weapons hitting 8 times per turn using barrage!? Yes please. Casting Meteor 5 times per turn using Dualcast > Meteor > Quick > Meteor > Meteor > Meteor > Meteor!? Of course! (incidentally, that works with Ultima in FF6 too.)

I remember having to replay FF8 before even beating it, and that puts me off really ever replaying that one. I ended up screwing myself over and getting locked in some big place at the end of Disc 3, saved in front of a boss I couldn't back out from, woefully under-levelled, under-drawn, and under-junctioned, and the boss was simply impossible to beat.

I ended up having to start the entire game over again and make sure I did it properly instead of just crusing along the main story. I beat the shit out of that game the second time though. This was before the time of just checking the Internet for everything, so I made a point of studying the junction system properly and optimizing summon builds so you could junction every stat with the best as early as possible, and went to the trouble of drawing the maximum amount of every spell I came accross (ugh).

It's possible to get about 3000+ HP by the first Seifer boss on Disc 1, making the first half of the game extremely easy. Max out your SeeD rank using the exams as soon as you're able to, and keep your money. Once you get to that first big city where your'e meant to do your sniping, spend all your money on Tents. Use the convert GF command to convert all of your Tents into Curagas; you should have enough money to convert 3 sets of 99 Curagas = oodles of HP.

But yeah, all the drawing magic crap puts me off ever replaying FF8. Not only does drawing magic take forever, but it bothers me that actually casting any of your magic means gimping your stats and forcing you to draw it all back again.

Also figured out how it was so easy to abuse the Aura spell, triangle button, and Zanstetsuken though. Aura increased your chances of getting a limit break to something like 10-20% per turn, but you could just hit triangle (switch character) over and over to keep re-rolling the dice and guarantee you used Lionheart every freaking turn. Yeah, made the game a bit easier.

That's enough rambling for now. Replaying FF games with intricate knowledge of how the game works is fun irl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

You know, now that I think about it... The only FF games I've ever really replayed are the SNES and prior ones.

I started/quit FF8 a handful of times before ever beating it, and like Ket, that really put me off towards playing it again. Ket and I share the OCDness of not wanting to cast a spell, due to it lowering a stat, so I never cast magic in that game. Sad.

FF7 I played a few times back in the day, but I haven't "gone back" to it in the true sense of the definition. FF9+ I only ever played through one time. I liked 9, 10 and 12, but just never really feel like replaying them, I suppose. Not sure why.

All that being said, I'd definitely purchase a re-vamp of FF7. But I can understand their not wanting to re-hash hold ideas. I'd love for some new FFT type stuff, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

holy shit do I hate the Draw system.

I need to get FFIX. I actually havent even played that one yet. I still have it sitting on my shelf in perfect condition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:39 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

the only psx era through current ff game ive played twice is ff 9. the modern games lack story lines which you can actually follow and all the characters are bland and unmemorable. i think the only unique character in a long while is blathier. i kinda feel like the modern games gave up trying to actually develope a story and its people in favor of cinematics. one of the things that drove me nuts in 13, aside from all the obvious parts, was that they built up hype for various side chracters just to have them immediately dropped. like a whole cgi movie and sequence to introduce a general only to have them fired and never heard from again the very next scene not even 5 minutes later... what gives with that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:53 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

FFIX is awesome... one of my fav's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'd really suggest playing FF9, Yarr.

It's a throw back to all the previous FF titles. Town names, character names, items, all reference previous important things in the prior FF games. On top of that, the characters are unique. None of this "Everyone ends up being able to do the same crap, except for one special 'limit' move of some sort" BS.

I think if I were to replay a PSX or later FF title, it'd be a toss up between FF9 and FF10.

All that being said, I don't know if I'd unpackage a sealed copy. If you could find one on amazon or ebay, for not too much, I'd go that route instead. haha.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Nah my copies arnt sealed, just totally un touched. I never actually loaded them into a drive of any kind. I did open them up and look at the stuff that came with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

FFIX is freaking awesome. It's one of the best titles ever made.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 am 
Spammer, to the max!

Fattino wrote:

Yeah they said this I remember too. Now there's the third xiii title coming out lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Rubyxiii wrote:
Fattino wrote:

Yeah they said this I remember too. Now there's the third xiii title coming out lol

lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:58 pm 
DL Hughley

Ketrebu wrote:
I remember having to replay FF8 before even beating it, and that puts me off really ever replaying that one. I ended up screwing myself over and getting locked in some big place at the end of Disc 3, saved in front of a boss I couldn't back out from, woefully under-levelled, under-drawn, and under-junctioned, and the boss was simply impossible to beat.

Sorcerer Adel in Lunatic Pandora. Same exact thing happened to me, but FF8 became one of my favorites. I most recently replayed 10 and 12. I've been saying they should have quit after 10 since 2002 (odd to do it on an FF11 forum though, ha) it's a top-5 all time game for me. 12 I like more and more over time, Mikey and I once had an in-depth about it. Amazingly, I've still never bothered to go beat 6. I've played to the end a bunch of times but never felt the desire to finish it up. Replayed 1/4/9 several times. I like 9 more now than I originally did. I somehow managed to lose my GBA copy of 5, and the PS1 version has odd glitches. Beat 3 once, 13 once. Got perfect ending on 10-2 and never went back, class system is really cool but the battles are so fast paced you end up not needing to use it much.

I seem to remember an article from a year or two ago where SE claimed that a current generation remake of FF7 would take 12 years to create, though I'm not exactly sure how they came up with that number. They'd probably burden it with tons of ridiculous retcon bullshit (see Crisis Core, etc) and ruin what was a pretty enjoyable, simple game, with a schmuck jerkoff loser hero who you could get behind, not the asswipe he became in Advent Children.

On that note I replayed Kingdom Hearts early last year and enjoyed it more than ever, the sequence where Sora becomes a heartless and eventually obtains the Oathkeeper is probably one of my favorite 20 minute stretches in any game ever. haha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:01 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

That looks mildly amusing but I predict it will A) never get completed or B) get shut down by S-E on the slim chance it ever gets anything past the midgar section at the beginning of the game finished.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:38 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

FF7 was so ahead of its time. to think it was released in like 1997...amazing.

but i hated it at first. it was so depressing until you finally get out of Midgar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:46 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp wrote:
FF7 was so ahead of its time. to think it was released in like 1997...amazing.

but i hated it at first. it was so depressing until you finally get out of Midgar

I really pushed back at first. I was such a fanboy of the previous FF games, I did not like all the flashy graphics in the commercials. I didn't believe it was an RPG because the commercials made it look like something different. I also didn't own a PSX.

One day a friend invited me over to check out FF7 on his PSX. Under protest I went and watched him play. I was like WTF it's really a turn-based RPG!!!????!?!?!

My next priority was to get a PSX and FF7, which I did as quickly as a 16 year old could. I loved playing through FF7 the first time.

I also worried the whole game would be inside midgar. After breaking out of there and seeing the big beautiful world, and realizing I only finished about 5% of the game's content.....I was in heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

The only RPG I had played up to this point was Chrono Trigger, which I still enjoy about once a year or so.

I heard about FF7 when I went to a friend's house and saw him playing it. I spent days there, just watching him play. I didn't need to play, it was good enough to just watch. I absorbed every bit of information, so that even now I could probably make a full wiki walk through for the game haha. I would say that FF7 roped me into the genre, and is the main reason I tried FFXI. I have since played every FF, but I think because it was my first FF, it will always be my favorite.

A fully remastered version of it might kill some of the magic, but it would be frikin pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:34 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I got into FF watching my older cousins play. I didn't actually play it myself as I was a bit too young, but they let me read the dialogue from girl characters (for whatever reason we read all of the dialogue out loud). Even though I didn't play, I still really enjoyed just watching it and sharing the story with others playing. Maybe that's why I also really like the FF mmos.

I don't think remastering 7 would ruin my nostalgia of it, but I do think trying to retrofit spin off characters and adding in new parts of the game would turn me off. My ideal remake would be the same exact game, with just modern graphics. Although, I have a feeling that wouldn't sell and SE would do exactly what I wish for them not to. If that is the case, I'd almost rather leave it be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

My first FF I actually played was 7, but it wasn't the first I had access to or seen.

I watched my sister play a bit of FF5, I believe it was. On an emulator patched to English, mind. I never owned a Super Nintendo, it was much more common to own Mega Drive (Genesis) in Europe.

I'd never seen an RPG-style game before, and as a kid, the entire concept put me off. What I saw was a slow paced game, with too much text, lots wandering around with nothing going on, the graphics weren't all that great, and the gameplay basically had no action in it.

It was probably only a year later I played FF7. It was lent to me by somebody else and I had no idea what it was before I played it. Course, FF7's presentation blew you away back in the PS1 era. There'd been some games with FMV elements in it before, but nothing quite like FF7. That was a great hook to actually get you playing it, only to realise that the rest of the game is pretty great too. Unfortunately, I had to give the game back pretty early on, not long through disc 1, so at the time I wasn't able to finish it.

But after that, I realised that, hey, this is 7, there should be more of that game. And then it suddenly clicked that hey, wait a second, I know the name of this game, I have them on my PC, but I never played them because they were "that game I didn't like". So I went back and played FF4, FF5, and FF6, and boy how wrong I was.

Finally got around to buying a copy of FF7, and I finished it pretty much only a couple weeks before FF8 came out, so I suddenly had to scrounge for that. Pretty sure it was only a year or so later for FF9 too.

So yeah, anyway, point is: FF7 got me started.

As for remastering it: Sadly, FF7 has aged pretty badly. It can't help it really, it was an early PS1 game. The amazing graphics don't hold up at all, and the game itself plays pretty slow by today's standards. I think it could really benefit from a remake, but they'd just piss everybody off no matter how they do it.

If all they do is mimic the original game, it was be just as archaic as the game is right now, and anything that isn't exactly the same will annoy the purists. But if they try to re-imagine the game, people will act as though their childhoods have been raped, or something. Though I really think if they ever do it, they really need to go with option 2. The effort is wasted if it's just the same old clunky game as before.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion