It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Why did no one talk about the FFVII Re-Release?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

first one i played was... FF1. yea im old.

i didn't like it at all back then, and in hindsight i can see how the original 8-bit FF1 would be really hard to get into especially for a little kid.

then a friend of mine visited from out of state and he brought FF2 (FF4j) for SNES. watching him play it at my house really sold me on it. getting attached to the characters was something no other game had ever really done for me. always wondering if kain was a good guy or bad guy, always looking forward to leveling up in order to get that new spell. traveling the world and the moon and the underworld in that awesome spaceship. what a game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:16 pm 
DL Hughley

7 Was the first FF I played, but my first RPG were Wild Arms and Suikoden. I had taken a crack at Phantasy Star 3 as a young'un but I had no idea how to play it. We didn't have Super Nintendo. Even by the time I started Wild Arms I spent the first few hours wondering what EXP was, I was 12. I got FF7 that year for Christmas.

Final Fantasy X and X-2 are getting an HD reissue package on PS3 this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, that's the trouble with those old 3D models. haha. They don't hold up well under the scrutiny of time. I think sprites fair better, but I have a pretty well-established bias for sprites, because I grew up with an (S)NES, and I got into RPGs on those platforms.

I am curious if you ever played the Shining Force games, Ket. I had a Genesis, too, and that was the only RPG franchise I had for it. They did have the Lunar series for the Sega CD, and I remember drooling over screenshots of it from my Gamepro magazine, but I never had a Sega CD at the time. I finally bought it used off of my buddy, but never got any games for it. He did have Dark Wizard, however, which was a pretty awesome (if a bit buggy) game.

My very first RPG was Dragon Warrior, but it didn't get me hooked on the genre. I traded my Battletoads game for it. No regrets. haha... I think what got me hooked was when I saw a buddy playing Mystic Quest when I was in the 6th grade. I ended up buying it and thinking it was awesome. The same buddy I would later buy the Sega CD from had a copy of Final Fantasy IV, however. And so we borrowed eachother's game and played through them. I absolutely fell in love with FF4, and I think that's when it really started.

Probably nostalgia, sure, but I think FF4 ranks high up there. And Rydia's storyline would be absolutely bad-ass in any new-age RPG, where more time was spent on character plot/development.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:47 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yeah FF7 didn’t age well. I remember being blown away by the FMVs while playing through the game. Some of them still give me goosebumps. Its best viewed on a PSP size screen today lol. It’s not so bad on that.

Dragon Warrior was my first turn based RPG. I’m 32, so it came out when I was a youngin. I played the shit out of it. I played FF1 but didn’t like it much. When FF2(4) came out, I got that and it was my favorite game ever. I don’t have to elaborate why..everybody else hit all the main reasons. That game is still amazing. FF11 was my first MMO, and I wanted my character to have a name from FF4. I settled on Kluya after realizing all the other names I wanted from FF4 were taken. Including Fusoya. Fusoya was always my name on gamefaqs and stuff lol. Atleast I got his brother's name.

I never owned a Sega, but my babysitter had a master system when I was a kid. So I played it a lot. I never played Genesis much. I was such a Nintendo fanboy. I would seriously fight people if they told me Sega was better. I still remember reading in Nintendo power when Capcom signed a deal to make games with Sega. It had a picture of Sonic shaking hands with Mega Man. I nerd raged so bad lol.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I still feel a bit of guilt about the SNES/Genesis stuff, because my neighbor's dad talked to me one year about getting one of the two systems for his son. At the time, I had recently just bought the Genesis, and I was enjoying the Shining Force series. So I, of course, suggested the Genesis.

The kid was a bit like me, though. Ended up liking RPGs. So I felt pretty guilty that I was the reason he got a Genesis instead of an SNES.

Sorry Aaron!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:40 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

If CKD were FF9 characters Yarr could be Zidane, Ket could be Steiner, Kio as either Garnet or Freya, Kayne as Amarant, Whisp as Vivi, me as Quina (because why the hell not?) and I can't remember the others lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

dont forget garnet's mom, she's hot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

A manthra named Zidane would be cool. Somebody should do that. I really liked him as a main character...I really need to play that game again. It's been so long.

Soulguy wrote:
Quina (because why the hell not?) and I can't remember the others lol

lol he's an awesome character.

I love when Quina and Vivi get married for that ritual/passing/whatever. And Quina says "me so happy" while Vivi just "....."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

A manthra named Zidane would be cool. Somebody should do that. I really liked him as a main character...I really need to play that game again. It's been so long.

Soulguy wrote:
Quina (because why the hell not?) and I can't remember the others lol

lol he cracks me up.

I love when Quina and Vivi get married for that ritual/passing/whatever. And Quina says "me so happy" while Vivi just "....."

Whisp wrote:
dont forget garnet's mom, she's hot

FF9 takes the cake for ugly/weird looking characters from the series IMO. Pretty much everybody except Garnet is weird looking in some way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
DL Hughley

Freya's from FF9 is probably my second favorite dragoon in the series after Kain. She looks good, especially for an FF9 character, and has a good story. Ricard from FF2 is cool, great last words when he saves the party after the emperor returns from Hell. "You will find it no simple task to spill the blood of the last Dragoon"

Reminds me Kain had a goddamn great line in Dissidia 2 before his fight with Exdeath near the very end of the story campaign. In response to ExDeath suggesting that Kain is offering his life in exchange for those of his teammates: "No. I offer yours."

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion