It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Terraria Hardcore Challenge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 am 
Too Weak
Too Weak

Well last night was interesting lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ketrebu wrote:
I didn't remove anybody, but I get this weird glitch sometimes where Steam seems to think I've blacklisted people, but because I haven't blacklisted them, I can't un-blacklist them to fix it.

Only way I've found to get rid of it is to go to the web-based version of your friend list inside the steam community and do a select all > unblock from there, all of a sudden 2-3 people I've not seen online in weeks appear online again.

Not as many people for Terraria this week, having it in softcore meant we actually made progress though. I think we might wait til the game's next patch for another run. Hopefully we'll see one in the next couple of weeks.

Ah, that explains why I couldn't message you. Is your IP information the same? I haven't played Terraria in a while but I imagine it would still have my recent servers saved.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

The way I discovered it was that Corwin sent me some messages but if I tried to reply it told me I couldn't because he was offline, even though it was obvious he wasn't because he was still messaging me.

Since then, I've noticed that if people in my friend list just say "Offline" instead of "Last seen: 3 weeks ago" or whatever, then they're glitched, and I need to go to the web based friend list thing in community to unblock them. Still haven't found out what causes it or found any info online about it. Oh well.

It's worth checking, since if it's saying you can't message me that might be why. To fix it, it's Community > Profile > Friends > Select All > Unblock Selected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I think i got enough of a hang of the game now that I could join the next run. I haven't "beaten" it yet, but I got a grasp on it now. I will say it was kinda obnoxious upgrading past a gold pickaxe since I couldn't find enough "free" shadow orbs and thus had to bomb them out. But with Eater of the World dead I'm able to make new pickaxes/armor so I should be ready to find/do Dungeon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Buy purification powder from the Dryad (moves in once any boss has been defeated, like Eye of Cthulu.) It's super cheap, and it turns Ebonstone (rock in the corruption) back into ordinary Stone Blocks so that you can mine through it with anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I think I must be the only one who actually struggles more with the Eye of Cthullu than with the Eater of Worlds. Was always annoying for me to take down that eyeball.

Hell, I remember the very first time I killed him, I had to wait until I had the minishark. Talk about doing things in reverse order. haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I killed Eater before Cthulhu since the first couple times eye spawned I either died or I returned to the surface near dawn and he despawned w/ like 500 hp. So powder wasn't an option for me at the time. For a freshgame definitely something I'll keep in mind.
I got lucky that one of my first 3 shadow orbs I broke had a Godly Ball O' hurt which at least as far as I could tell is damn near ideal for Eater.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ket can you put up a mediumcore server up? Ive wanted to play this a bunch since we did a few weeks ago, but I find playing local isnt as fun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'm trying not to get burned out on it, considering there's a update coming right around the corner. It's definitely coming, the dev has been posting updates without really revealing what he's planning.

But there was a post that said he was in contact with a particular guy, and that guy was known for having drawn like another 4+ tiers of ore/armor/weaponry/etc in a big sprite sheet. If we're lucky, the guy is intending to make it quite a beefy update because it's been a year since the last one.

I'm really busy with work stuff at the moment though, no time to play really. Maybe at the weekend, because it might be the last weekend before XIV beta goes up ("mid-February" is next week). We got decently far last time we played with soft core instead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:06 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Good point.

I forgot about the Beta. I just finished replaying FFVII and I just started my first run on FFIX. This should hold me over until I find out SE messed up and didnt send me a beta key.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Update for the people who don't keep up to date on this stuff.

Starbound is supposed to be going into beta "sometime" which includes early access. However, they also released a sort of progress road map site the other day. It looks good, but it gives the impression that Starbound is still probably a bit of a ways off.

However, the good news is that Terraria's new PC update is said to be bigger than when 1.1 doubled the size of the game. It's looking to be having a release around the end of May. Which is roughly when the game released two years ago if I recall.

He's made a point of not really talking much about the update so people don't get excited about things that may not make the cut, but here's some stuff that is either confirmed or hinted at to be in said update:

- Hard mode revamped (re-balancing of corruption vs. hallow specifically)
- Half-blocks
- You can run up/down half-blocks (and full blocks with a height of 1) without stopping. World-gen now makes smoother worlds to accommodate.
- Health bars
- Lots of new biomes.
- Lots of new enemies and bosses.
- Several new ore tiers (Platinum & Tungsten?)
- Waterfalls (and Lavafalls if you're so inclined)
- At least 250 items added (so far)
- Wiring more useful (can use different colors to overlap wires)
- Working stairs.
- New NPCs. Possibly random "civilians"?
- Clouds. including Rainclouds. These are tiles so you can place them.

And lots of other things that are only vaguely hinted at such as the PC update containing some of the things from the recently released console version such as the in-game map.

And some teaser shots:

Again, we're looking at possibly around the end of May, by the sounds of things. Can't wait to finally dive in to Terraria again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

The middle screen looks especially good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:55 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Holy crap that looks awesome. I cant wait for the next CKD event.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:22 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Damn... that update looks awesome. I guess it's time to build a new home world, gear up, etc... so I'll be ready for the patch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:50 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Krellis wrote:
Damn... that update looks awesome. I guess it's time to build a new home world, gear up, etc... so I'll be ready for the patch.

I think the opposite. It'll probably be a good time to start over from scratch! What's a few hundred hours anyway?

When this update hits I'll probably set the 24/7 server back up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm still saddened by the limited world size, though. I want terraria to incorporated linked worlds, like that Starbound game will do, or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 am 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Ketrebu wrote:

When this update hits I'll probably set the 24/7 server back up.

You say that like you have a choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Video!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:42 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Rainbow waterfall, I'm sold.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

This patch is taking too long!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:45 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Sounds like it might not be until July now, sadly. I think the guy making it is having too much fun constantly adding things and keeps holding it back to add more and more. Which is great, but maybe he should have considered releasing things every week or two (like when the game first came out) if he truly had so many ideas to add.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'll be honest, the whole "hard mode" part of the game kinda killed it for me, though. The whole idea that you beat some boss, and then all of a sudden all the neat work you did on your base is ruined by creeping corruption/unicorns until it eventually covers the whole map.

Makes me not want to even progress a world past that point. I haven't played this game since the initial ton of playing we all did, but when I did, I just didn't want to progress past the hell part.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Supposedly this 1.2 does something to stop the massive amount of spread of corruption and hallow that took over your whole map. They haven't detailed what though.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

It will never be enough to undo the awfulness that happened :( My first home got wrecked by corruption, even with your valiant effort of saving it and as such, my hot spring almost directly below it was taken by the fairies as well.

Ponuh wrote:

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion