It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Re: Terraria Hardcore Challenge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:13 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

that was a ton of fun, good job editing Ket! Video came out really well, was probably pretty painful to sit through all of it. And btw TV is pretty damn awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:27 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Sad I couldn't make it. Hopefully I'll be free for the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

I still need to watch the video, but definitely down for doing this more in the future... hopefully I get to drown Yarr multiple times hahaha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Krellis wrote:
I still need to watch the video

Unacceptable!

It's annoyingly the last post on the previous page. Re-posting it just in case people miss it:

P.S.: Snow day. Got the day off work, awesome.

P.P.S: Finally activated my YouTube partnership I got offered months ago. I can set my own thumbnails on my videos now, as above.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Looks like you guys had a fun time. Game seems pretty complicated though going from digging to crafting/inventory management to giant skeletons and eyeballs and shit flying about the screen.

Kinda reminds me of that Flash game from 8 years or so ago where you just drill to the center of the planet or w/e you're on and at the bottom there's the devil.

I'm sure there's tons of other games where you essentially dig a big hole but that's the one I played, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It's essentially 2D Minecraft.

Less emphasis on building stuff and more emphasis on exploring, platforming, fighting, and general dicking around. Digging is just what you do to get resources so you can craft better weapons/armor. Didn't get to see much of it but you can find chests containing special uncraftable weapons, armor, and accessories too.

If we make another run of it we'll try to find a time that we can get a few more people on. I can do Friday night and any time weekend. Well, any time up until about 10PM EST when I gotta go to bed or be dead the next day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:03 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Terraria is basically if you turned the life of ants into a rpg.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Nice job on the video Ket!

I love the kill count. I also liked the rewind to Yarrs first death haha. The ending theme music, and Krel calling Spy a cheater were nice additions as well :) I'll watch the video again here soon. I enjoyed the shortened version.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm sad I missed this. I'll try to keep an eye out and hopefully hop on if there's a next time.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Wow awesome job on the video Ket, that was a funny night. The eye inside the building at the start cracked me up. We doing this again this weekend? needs moar Terraria!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Sorry, I couldn't make this, Ket. I know I never confirmed to begin with, but whatever. I apparently had gastrointestinitus, which was causing me to do little more than just curl up on the couch all weekend.

I'd be up for giving this a shot sometime, but 2-3 hours did seem way too quick to expect everyone to be hearted-up and equipped to take on the wall of flesh. haha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Honetly the time limit wouldn't have been terrible if:

1) We'd stuck together so that we could dig deeper earlier.
2) We weren't constantly losing ALL of our stuff each time we died.

A few people have suggested using Mediumcore instead of Hardcore, but it still means dropping all your stuff and having to trek back to wherever the hell your body was and retrieving it all. I wonder if it'll still be just as much fun if we stick to Softcore. The risk of death might be reduced, but you're still having to penalise yourself by having to get back to where you were, which wastes time, just as much time in fact. Difference is that you won't have also lost all of your weaponry and armor to make it difficult to get back.

So next time we might just try softcore, as long as everyone starts with fresh characters and the time limit is in place. Might even be able to turn explosives back on and do a bit of blast mining. Less deaths = keep more money = buy more explosives. Might be a decent enough incentive to not die.

If we'd stuck to using Softcore, we still probably wouldn't have reached Wall of Flesh, but we could have probably taken on Eye of Cthulu much earlier using just Bows and no/little armor. With death not being such a big deal (having to remake your character) and being able to respawn back into the fight, we might be able to zerg some bosses. It might make the whole thing fun in a different way. So yeah maybe we'll try a Softcore run with fresh characters.

As for whether we're doing another run this weekend? Sure, if people want to. Obviously I'd like if we could get more people but if we just do it at the same day/time it will probably result in the same people unable to come. But I don't really know what other days and times are more suitable for people. Need people to get in here and say when is and isn't ok.

Frankly I think people were having plenty fun just playing Terraria together and wouldn't give a crap what the rules are. Though I feel forcing people to start with brand new fresh characters is important. There'd be no point if people turned up wearing Hallowed armor and Excaliburs. We'd have nothing to do after 10 minutes.

So yeah, as long as it's fresh characters in a fresh world, and everybody playing together in a fixed time slot of 2-3 hours, we should have a blast.

TL;DR: Screw it. I bet the event will be just as fun if we stick to Softcore characters this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:15 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

What time did you guys end up doing it and/or when would it be this next time?

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Was Saturday 11 GMT / 6 EST / 3 PST.

Whether it'd be the same next time I don't know until other people chime in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Softcore is a good idea, having to re-create your character, and go back to get all your stuff was a pain. The death count alone is incentive enough for me be careful. Mumble should also be a rule, having to type sucks, and people would miss Soul saying "RUN AWAY!" when theres an eye in the house, or Yarr getting upset when someone gets him killed (who would do such a thing?!). Might want to install/configure it before hand since some people had a hard time getting it to work properly *cough* Krell *cough*

Anytime Saturday works for me. Looking forward to it again!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Awesome related news. Now that the console version of Terraria (which is being ported by an external developer) is on the way, the original dev might be interested in picking the game back up again:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/s ... ate.95324/

Redigit wrote:
Something about a possible PC update.

Okay, let me pose a hypothetical. Say I am considering doing an update for the PC version of Terraria... In the event that such a thing were to take place, what would be some things that you would be interested in seeing?

Terraria might be old hat now but the thought of the dev starting it back up again makes me excited.

That guy used to get tons of stuff patched into the game like every week. Things like the flower/pots/buffs system appeared after only a week. The entirety of hard mode appeared after a couple months dev time. The guy can get a lot of stuff done in a short amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Yessssssss!

Fist pump irl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:57 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Personally mounts or battle pets would be nice or a combo of both like rune factory 3.

You build structures with a table set to spawn random npcs, could use a different furnishing to dictate the structure as a barn or whatever for animals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

A lot of people are just asking for more biomes, more bosses, more pets, etc.

Personally I always wanted more NPCs.

Why can't there be "generic" NPCs that aren't merchants, randomly generated using the already existing character options, that you can still build houses for and they'll move in. Maybe you could give these people weapons and armor and then they'd actually attack stuff rather than sit and be decimated by any random zombie that strolls by.

Then you could have towns. Maybe even an actual "town biome" where you could stumble upon another randomly generated town that's not yours, perhaps one that builds up by itself over time. It'd be like a rival town. That was an idea tossed around back when the game first came out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:04 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Redigit wrote:
I think I have a lot more reading today, it blew up last night! There are a lot of requests so far that I am very interested in pursuing ... And a lot of my own ideas that I would rather not give away at this point.

Sounding more and more likely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I picked this game up in the last steam sale... while I admit to having no idea what I am doing ( I couldn't place a door after like 5 minutes of trying), I might join ya'll on the your next outing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

If Kio can work it out without even being told what the controls are, I'm sure anybody can. I wrote a post a long time ago that was basically a getting started guide though. Lemme see if I can find it.

Quote:
Quick Start Guide

1) Gather wood. You start with an Axe, find some trees and chop them down. Stand next to a tree with the Axe selected and hold your mouse button over the base of the tree until it collapses. Gather several trees but try not to stray too far away from your spawn point. You will need a lot of wood to start with, in the hundreds if possible. But if you run out of wood at any point below just go and gather more trees.

2) Build a shelter. Use the wood you gathered to build a basic shelter. Simply select the wood and start dragging your mouse around near your character to place the wooden blocks. Try and make an enclosed space on a nice flat piece of ground. Make the wall as high as it will go without having to jump.

3) Make a crafting table. Hit escape to open your inventory and crafting menu, on the bottom left, select a Crafting Table (it uses some of your wood) and place it onto your hotbar. Select the crafting table on your hotbar and click on the ground near you to place it.

4) Make a sword. You should hopefully have enough wood left over to make a sword. While standing next to your new crafting table, you'll have more crafting options available on your escape menu, one should be a sword. Click it and drop it on your hotbar. You should have less trouble with the monsters now.

5) Make doors. Use the crafting table and make two doors, and put them on your hotbar. Use your axe to cut a 3-block-high hole in either side of your shelter. With the doors selected on your hotbar, click in the empty spaces left behind and the door should fit. Right click the door to open and close it. Although monsters will pound on your doors, they cannot open them except on Blood Moons.

6) Make torches. Hopefully you've killed a few slimes by now, if not, kill a couple. The slime gel they drop is required to make torches. Once you have some slime gel, use the crafting menu to make a bunch of torches and drop them in your hot bar. Place the torches on the walls of your shelter so that you'll be able to see at nighttime.

7) Finish the shelter. Finally, craft lots of an item called "Wood Wall". This is a background. You can place them as a back wall to your shelter, and this has the important task of preventing monsters from spawning inside your house and also classifies it as indoors so NPCs are allowed to move in.

8) Add Furniture. Use the crafting table to make an ordinary table and a chair. Adding both of these to your shelter will make your new shelter into a "house". This will allow NPCs to move in and occupy it. Your very first house will be automatically taken by the Guide, you should see him wander in after a while. Making more houses (or adding rooms to your current house) will allow more NPCs to move in.

Now you have a shelter to stay inside when you need peace from the constant stream of monsters spawning day and night.

What Next

1) Make a Hammer. If you haven't already, make a Hammer at your crafting table. You'll need one to smash Life Crystals, and it's also used for picking up and destorying objects you can't with your axe/pickaxe (such as the wood walls and furniture).

2) Explore. Go find some caves and see if you can find anything. Don't be too afraid to die, all you'll lose is 50% of your currently carried coins. You won't drop anything else. The deeper you get inside a cave the more likely you are to run into chests (with loot) or heart crystals (increase your maximum HP). Make sure you bring lots of torches with you.

3) Find Ore and Stone. You should try to find some ore, such as Copper, Iron or Gold. You'll need these made into bars and you can start making better tools and weapons. Once you're in a large cave, try digging into dead-ends and see if you hit another cave. Stone is also handy as you can make better houses with it. You'll need a furnace to smelt ore, you can make one for back home using Stone and Torches.

4) Improve Your House. You need to extend your house eventually. Either make additional rooms to your current one or make a new building. Same rules as before: enclosed space with light, a back wall, a door, a table, and a chair. If you have a second house/room and 50 silver coins, a Merchant will move in for you to buy/sell things from.

5) Upgrade. Once you start collecting copper, iron and gold, you can start smelting them into new armor and equipment. You'll need an Anvil to make most metal weapons and armor. You can craft these using Iron Bars or buy one from the merchant for 50 silver. Use your new stuff to make deeper mines to get better ores (like Gold).

That should be enough to get you started and well on your way.

If people are around maybe I'll just host another game on Saturday same time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:33 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'd say the fact we're gonna be getting some more patches/content is all but confirmed now:

Redigit wrote:
Night one..Bug fixes... ;)

Today at 2:19 AM

Programmers love being up til the early hours of the morning fixing bugs.

Redigit wrote:
Really though to give you an actual answer to your question... I do intend on hiring on a spriter in the near future.

Hiring people? Yeah, thats ramping up produciton again.

Why has he suddenly decided to jump back into making Terraria? Well I guess the question is why did he stop.

Though never completely explained, it seemed to be a bunch of things all at once that simply burnt him out on it. Firstly, he had gotten married and had a kid, having a <1 year old kid kind of easily saps your time/life away. Secondly, his artist (Tiy) had abandoned him to start up his own studio and make his own somewhat-similar game with another group of people (Starbound). I'd guess the guy felt pretty betrayed about that.

Also, most people may not remember that Terraria also had a rocky launch. Terraria had only been in development for about 4-5 months when it was released. But it was released "early" because one of his beta testers leaked the game onto the internet. Being such a small game (it's like 30MB?) it was extremely easy to find a copy of and was basically the entire game (albeit unfinished). He was forced to basically release the game next week or risk losing tons of potential customers.

So the game ended up being released unfinished and if you recall the early days before patches, the game didn't even support any resolution other than 800x600, plus missing lots of other things he wanted in the game before it was released like buffs, and he was constantly adding new stuff that required you to re-generate your world to get because in theory nobody should have even played the game yet. Even though the game rushed out its patches, it ended up doing really well, but i'm sure all that rushing to get the game "finished" ASAP really burnt him out.

Of course, the guy did really well for himself off of it. Terraria sold over 1 million copies at $5-10 depending on sales, and was made by two people in 5 months. Average the price, split it in two, and take Steam's 30% cut off, and the guy still probably made $1-2 million in pure profit off of it. And who knows what kind of licensing deal he made with the other company to port it to console for him.

He was supposedly invited to the external company who were making the console version to play it. I imagine now that the console version is nearly done and he had the chance to play it and try out the new content, he remembered that he used to have fun making the game, and now wishes he was still improving it. The result is hopefully that we get a bunch of updates for a slightly older game that everybody still likes to play (as evidenced by this thread).

And wow, I wrote a lot. Bored at work I guess.

I'll message some people tonight about more Terraria at the weekend, since I guess a lot of people miss this thread. Hopefully we can get more people than we had last week.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Ket I see you in terraria D: I think you removed me from friends, I am Adam Britt.

Ponuh wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I didn't remove anybody, but I get this weird glitch sometimes where Steam seems to think I've blacklisted people, but because I haven't blacklisted them, I can't un-blacklist them to fix it.

Only way I've found to get rid of it is to go to the web-based version of your friend list inside the steam community and do a select all > unblock from there, all of a sudden 2-3 people I've not seen online in weeks appear online again.

Not as many people for Terraria this week, having it in softcore meant we actually made progress though. I think we might wait til the game's next patch for another run. Hopefully we'll see one in the next couple of weeks.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion