It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Shocking news from SE! [PS4 Thread]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:13 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

During the PS4 unveiling SE dropped the bomb on audiences!

They're making another Final Fantasy game :o

...yes this is all sarcasm...

They did in fact tease this after showing Agnis Prophecy for the umpteenth time insisting it is not a game. However by doing so they did confirm that the luminous engine was running that tech demo on a ps4 which is pretty impressive for both.

More information on the new FF game will be available at E3 of this year.

Kinda confuses me that they would tease a brand new FF title before they even had a better hand on Versus.

Also, I assume Ket will make a full thread on the PS4 itself.

Post subject: Re: Shocking news from SE!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kioko wrote:
Also, I assume Ket will make a full thread on the PS4 itself.

YOU ASSUMED WRONG!

I'm just going to hijack this one instead.

The Official PS4 "Trailer", a very quick summary of the 2 hour PlayStation Meeting conference last night:

PS4 Specs

- 8-core AMD x86-64 CPU
- 8GB of GDDR5 :shock:
- 1.84 TFlop GPU

PS4 Features

- Gameplay is instant. PS4 games can be put into a suspend sleep mode like most handhelds, when you power your system on, your game is exactly as you left it, loading times and company logos be damned.

- Downloaded games are instant. You can play a new game while it's still downloading in the background. This is something Blizzard have been doing for a little while now. And with games getting bigger and bigger, this was a smart move to alleviate having to wait for your new 12GB game to download.

- Demos are instant. All games can be tried for free, instantly, using online streaming, powered by sony's recent acquisition of Gaikai (think OnLive). You get a time-limited trial of the full game, not a cut-down demo. Because it's streamed using Gaikai you don't have to download anything. Just hit X and play.

- Instant streaming, recording, and sharing of all gameplay. Attempting to virtualise the old "couch" gameplay, you can live-stream and chat while playing games with your friends, and even virtually hand over the controller to them ("try beating this boss for me"). Even if you weren't actively recording, the PS4 records the last 15 minutes of your gameplay, and a new dedicated "Share" button allows you to clip your highlights and upload them. All recording, encoding and uploading is processed by a second dedicated chip so that it doesn't impact any performance.

- Controller has finally undertaken it's first design revision in almost 20 years. Includes a touch-pad in the middle, a speaker, headset jack, new trigger-style shoulder buttons, and a "light bar" LED on top that changes color to identify players. Oh, and hey, the controller finally charges while the console is switched off!

- System is cross-platform with tablets, iPads, iPhones, androids, Vita, etc. Most of the above features will also stream to any of these devices if it's capable of it. This includes both secondary-screen gameplay (e.g. Wii U) and streaming the main game to the device as your primary screen while the TV is off or you're in a different room. Sorry Nintendo.

- Should be releasing "Holiday 2013". i.e. End of this year.

Sony Didn't Show

- The console. Although we got to see the controller, we still don't know what the console itself looks like.

- No SKUs or pricing. We don't know what it will cost, if it'll be offered in multiple flavours, and what size hard drives we'll have.

- Sounds like they intend to leave all this for E3. They'll need something to push back Microsoft hype when they undoubtedly unveil their own Xbox successor.

What about Microsoft?

PS4 and 720 were both rumoured to have very similar specs. Word from developers with dev-kits said that both consoles had almost exactly the same CPU and GPU, both made by AMD for both consoles.

The big difference is that MS are said to be using 8GB of plain old PC DDR3. Whereas Sony were going to use 4GB of GDDR5. Insanely faster, but only half the RAM. But today Sony revealed they're actually putting 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in the machine, which is crazy. The GeForce Titan only has 6GB of GDDR5 and that's a $1000 graphics card. We'll have to see what this means for price, but power wise it puts Microsoft's console in a worrying position.

But rumor is that Microsoft won't be trying to beat Sony on price. At least, not directly. The rumor is that Microsoft intend to release the 720 like a phone contract. Make people pay almost nothing (maybe like $100) up-front for the console, but then lock people into a 2-year XBOX Live contract. They've been trialing this with the 360 already, not sure how well it's been working out for them.

If they go that route, they might get an upper hand. Your average simple-minded citizen doesn't seem to pay attention to the total cost of ownership of something like an iPhone or iPad. The fact that they end up paying $2000 for what amounts to $500 of kit doesn't seem to cross their mind when they "only" pay $100 up front. The cell-phone industry has been scamming everyone with this for years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Oh, to elaborate on what Kio said, yeah Square Enix were pretty laughable.

They turned up on stage, they were like, this is what we can run in real-time on a PS4! Then they just showed us Agni's Philosophy again. Ok, yeah, that was pretty impressive, and it's nice to know it's what a PS4 can run in real-time, but we'd all seen it before.

Then the guy was like, "And now we have a special announcement... We're preparing to make another Final Fantasy game! Look forward to E3, bye byes."

No shit, SE?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

(Don't forget to put this stuff into 720p. Youtube's 480p bitrate is laughable.)

Most impressive looking was probably Capcom's "Deep Down":

But new Watch_Dogs gameplay is good too:

Post subject: Re: Shocking news from SE! [PS4 Thread]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I don't care about consoles anymore, but I'm already sold thanks to the bulletpoints Ket pointed out.

And lol at that picture Kio. Seems right on.

Makes me wonder, will they make a PS4 optimized FF14 also?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:48 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I hope they do. It's really unfortunate that they are working hard on a PS3 version of it right when the new console is announced/to be released.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:32 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

That's pretty accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

Hahahaha, that was fuckin awesome Kayne.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Spot on lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

That video was really fucking funny lol

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion