It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:18 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Whelp...

Not going into specifics, most people here probably heard anyway. But yeah. Getting the impression that very few people were impressed with what Microsoft had to show yesterday. That is unless you're an American and you love TV and/or football. It's a giant Betamax-shaped voice controlled TV remote, lovely.

Some of the after-show stuff coming out is starting to get plain comical though. Used games are possibly blocked behind a fee (a $60 one). None of the TV features actually work outside the US. The "all-in-one" box needs another box to work. Internet connection required at least once every 24 hours. The massive EA partnership announcement basically boiled down to being exclusive DLC, because EA announced after the show the games are all on PS4 anyway. The EA sports demo gameplay reel was admitted to be entirely pre-rendered...

But at least there's a dog, right?

Specs suggest that although the two CPUs are nearly identical, the PS4 GPU is 50% more powerful than the One GPU (1.8 TFlops vs 1.2 TFlops). The One's reliance on a Windows kernel means it reserves 3GB of it's 8GB DDR3 for the OS, leaving only 5GB for games. While the PS4 is reported to only reserve 1GB, leaving 7GB of that GDDR5 open for use. Microsoft themselves have admitted that the highest end graphics aren't their top priority. For multiplatform games it probably won't make any difference at all, because developers will just make their games parity with the One, but PS4 exclusives might end up standing head and shoulders above everything else.

Have Microsoft really pushed gamers back to second-class citizens? Have the roles of the 2006 console reveals been reversed?! Will Nintendo take their chance to redeem themselves as the one true game console!? Will Sony become the gamer's champion, or will Gaben's master race be gamers last stand!? Find out next time on Console War Z!

[Above: Gaben and the PC gaming master race.]

June 10th can't come soon enough.

Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I watched the live stream and wasn't really impressed either, in fact the cheering in the studio came from the Microsoft employees in the back of the room and not the press lol

I'm kinda pissed that EA will be bringing out the next UFC game though, that's a sure way of killing off the franchise, DLC fighters anyone?

The new Halo TV series sounds pretty cool and it will be directed by Steven Spielberg, I'll definitely check that out.

Edit: Edit: Edit: Edit:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Never was a fan, to be honest. I don't play a ton of consoles to be begin with, but if I were to get the next gen one... and I suppose let's be honest, I will at some point, it'll be a PS4.

I don't need a bro-box 1. Already have a DVR in the house, and I don't need anyone walking into the TV room and saying, "Oxygen" to change the channel.

Pass.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:52 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

til: rid watches the oxygen channle

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:26 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Does this information make me more, or less, desirable, Kio? Because my confirmation, or denial, of said TIL depends entirely on your answer. haha

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I have an xbox360 and this what has always bugged me about it, and it will bug me about the xbox1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, that's BS. Sony definitely is better in that regards. We got to talk with cute-sounding german ladies for free while playing Little Big Planet.

Paying 5-10 a month to be called names in CoD? No thanks. haha. Also, that Xbox One needs nice nice wood veneer, and it'd fit right in with 1980's electronics.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Even Match
Even Match

You shouldn't look at it as paying a subscription service to use other subscription services. XBL was only for games originally and the service has expanded to include so much more for the same price. That's actually pretty awesome.

I don't think Sony is better at all. PSN is dog shit compared to XBL. I have both, I've played on both (even the same game on both), and I've used the same services on both. XBL is worlds better. I'll take the hit on graphics to have a better online experience. To expand on that, apps are infinitely better on the Xbox too, but I guess that's mostly contributed to their UI. Anyways, $50/yr is really cheap for the benefits of XBL.

To stay on topic, I really like some aspects of the Xbox One, not impressed by others. I have the same view for the PS4. In the end I'll buy both... and I already have a Wii U too.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I can't really get excited by the new generation of video game consoles. I'll probably pick one after a couple of years like I did with the xbox360.
Depending on my rump with the 3ds i just bought; I might even consider the Wii U if their lineup is as good as the 3ds summer lineup they got going.

I do like the boxie look on the xbox just cause it would be easier to put in my entertainment system shelve lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I honestly think that's probably what they were going for, kitty. And that make sense.

I also agree that I won't be buying a ps4 or xbox 1 for at least a good year, or so, after they're released. I console play games even less than you do (ff14 while exercising may be the new exception here in a few months).

And I also agree that of the three, the WiiU seems pretty entertaining. I said the same thing about the Wii, however, and we both know how long I/we played that. haha

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:38 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

Sports, SPORTS, SPORTS, television, television, tv, tv, tv, call of duty, call of duty... dog!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

lol

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:34 am 
Spammer, to the max!

](*,)

Last edited by Supafly on Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:35 am 
Spammer, to the max!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 am 
Spammer, to the max!

lol

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:09 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:06 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

the rumor is that you have to have the xbox one connected to the internet and it will DRM check your games and stuff like that. is that really true? alot of noise being thrown around in the social medias about this. I guess pc games have been doing this for a while. theres also the rumors about reselling your games can only be resold to licensed resellers *cough*gamestop*cough*

not sure if im going to get one yet or not, will probably wait a few years like i usually do with consoles. the pictures of forza looks amazin!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

AS far as I know it is a fact that the Xbone requires an internet connection at least momentarily every 24 hrs for games that you own and more often (every hour) to play the various spawned/shared games. Failure to do so will reportedly disable the games in question or the ability to play games at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:41 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

From what I understand (although Ket or someone better informed are welcome to step in):

Always Online DRM: Yes, the system must connect to Live once every 24 hours. Even if you purchase a physical retail copy of a game, it is copied to the internal HDD and thus needs a DRM check to validate it. No games play directly off the disc, the disc is just an alternative to Digital Distribution but functions the same way. It was hinted that yes you will be barred from playing games if your live account cannot validate but still be able to have the xbox intercept your cable signal and you can watch TV.

Sharing Games: You can log into your Live account from a different location or console and still access your games through the cloud service. You can have up to 10 family members assigned to your Live account who can share access to your library. If your buddy wants to play a game you own you will have to give out your login and password for him to borrow your entire account. If you add an acquaintance to your buddy list, after 31 days of being associated you may gift a copy of a game you own to that friend. However, you relinquish all further rights to that copy. A game can only exchange hands once. There reportedly is no fee for this.

Trading/reselling games/Rentals: Rentals and trading in games will not be available at launch. Private sales between strangers isn't possible, unless you want to wait a month for them to be flagged as a friend. Game publishers have the power to disallow second hand exchange altogether, or charge a fee for it if they want. It was implied that trading in will also only be at participating providers. However, MS is not charging for any cut of these transactions or licensing to be a participating provider. Basically, even though you are getting a physical copy the storefront you are trading through probably has to get a DRM validation code for you from the publisher, and the publisher can either charge a fee for this (like EA had in the past) or completely refuse. It was suggested early on that the fee could be the full retail price of the game in question. I have not read anything regarding digital distribution but I assume it is completely locked down to a specific account like any other DD is.
It sounds like MS doesn't have this entire system ironed out yet, or the current OS that's being shipped doesn't yet support it, which is why none of it will be available for a while.

K'nect Monitoring: K'nect camera and microphone are always on and recording. There is no way to disable this unless you completely dis-k'nect the main power supply.

Probably worth throwing out a reminder that the system is not backwards compatible with xbox or xbox 360 games.

:o

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:12 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

So basically just stick to the PC since it has free tv watching, free movie watching, free video game downloading, better graphics, "less kids playing" (I think anyways) etc..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:50 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

Haha well, I'm sure it's really not has horrific as it seems in rumor and writing but I have to admit it's extremely bold. Nintendo 3DS had a lukewarm reception and a lot of backlash at e3 during it's launch and it sold record numbers and is my favorite handheld so far (albeit after Nintendo price dropped amongst other things).
So I'm sure despite it being bad for consumers, there will indeed be consumers. It only takes one major exclusive game title to lasso a demographic of people in, regardless of how reluctantly.
But still, as I have said, I am surprised that this move is being done now in light of a lot of things and the fact that most the big titles are also playable on the current gen systems that people already own....

On a side note, the TV feature completely confuses me. I can understand if it was able to replace a cable box as what the early rumors were, but merely intercepting it (for what purpose exactly?) then highlighting this as the deciding factor in your machine seems really pointless to me. It's like as if a salesperson approached me with one of those gag glasses with a plastic nose attached and told me if i bought this plastic nose, I could breath air through it! After wagging it in my face, I politely remind the man that I can also already breathe air through the nose I was born with. The only retort the salesperson could then pitch in response is I could also watch sports through the fake glasses while i breathe air from the plastic nose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:39 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

$499.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:30 pm 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Jeez...a lot of negativity here. I might be getting too old for new technology anyway....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

They announced Killer Instinct for the Xbox one god damn it...

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion