It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: PS4
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:06 pm 
Even Match
Even Match

makes poop socks out of XBOX One, what a press conference!!

Post subject: Re: PS4
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

I'm off to bed now, but quick summary:

+ $399
+ No used games/DRM restrictions.
+ FFXIV coming to PS4 too.
- Multiplayer on PS4 requires PS Plus subscription.

(But why the fuck didn't you have PS Plus already? You get so much free crap it's unreal. Even before it put Live Gold to shame.)

EDIT: Also, FF Versus is now FFXV, PS4. KH3 coming too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

I started cracking up at the point where they emphasized that they weren't following a lot of MS's new policies.
I really didn't want to get a console again but damn, FF 15. :bow:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:59 am 
CKD's Minimum Fuck up

I've never been so excited about the "console wars" because this is the first time i've ever seen a unanimously declared victor.

PS4 is 100 dollars less, has FF15 and KH3 as exclusives, is significantly more powerful, and doesn't have a 1984 style camera/microphone required to monitor your living room 24/7. Also no mandatory internet connection.

And they said a lot of xbox ones "exclusive" games will also be coming to PC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

The only downside with the PS4 is that plus subscription will be required for most of their user base. However, it's cheaper and comes with more benefits than Live ever did, so I don't foresee many complaints. I wonder if it will be required to play FF14 though.

For a long time Halo has been the main anchor for a lot of players to lock them into Live and Xbox, but Destiny for PS4 looks like a very vital alternative to it. It'll be interesting to see how many people switch over. Since Halo and Xbox were always just because that's what your friends played, but if you're friends are now playing something new....

The unit is a bit ugly, but then again all of the launch playstations always were lol.
The important part is what's inside which they seem to have gotten right. I'm not trying to sound biased, but honestly I couldn't tell the XB1's flaunted games apart from regular vanilla 360 games. PS4, despite almost all the games shown being made also to downscale to PS3 looked like "next generation" games to me.

I'm looking forward to Tokyo Game Show now. Rumor MS has pulled out of the East Asian market and will not be selling in Japan amongst several other major countries. You also cannot import XB1 as it is region tied DRM/Live. So PS4 will be the top contender for JRPG's and similar games if you're into that sort of thing.

Also, I'm trying very hard not to be biased (I've owned each company's consoles for basically their entire lifespan) but this year it's pretty cut and dry unless you're an extremely forgiving person or hellbent on a certain IP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:02 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

It all just keeps getting better and better:

+ PS4 still completely region free.
+ PS4 still has an upgradable/swappable HDD. (Shove an SSD in there!)

Although PS4 multiplayer now needs PS Plus, Sony have stated that other online services like Netflix are not behind the paywall. Unlike Xbox where you need a Gold subscription just to use the web browser, never mind Netflix or anything else.

Frankly though PS Plus was already amazing value BEFORE it was needed for online, so there's not as much outrage about this as you'd think. For $50/year you get like $300/year worth of games on both PS3 and Vita (and now PS4).

Xbox One apparently isn't even releasing in Japan. Word is that Xbox will not be releasing in "Asian markets" until "late 2014" -- and Japan still wasn't on that list either! If you like Japanese-made games, you might have some issues with the One.

On one hand, I'm curious how Microsoft will respond to all this. But on the other, I honestly think Microsoft are being so arrogant at the moment they'll think it won't matter and everyone will buy their stuff anyway. We'll only begin to see the back peddling once the sales figures start coming in.

EDIT: Because I think this needs reposting:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

I fell asleep and missed the conference, watching it now. It starts at 33:00.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 am 
Even Match
Even Match

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:35 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Tom Clancy's The Division and Watch Dogs look amazing, I haven't been pumped for a console game for quite some time.

Glorious PC gaming master race etc etc

Last edited by Soulguy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yyou guys just fucking sold me lol. I preordered a PS4 on Amazon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Spammer, to the max!

Guess I'm the only one that doesn't give a shit and am actually annoyed by the fact that PCs could have done this stuff for years but no one bothers until a console can handle it. While it makes sense from a financial perspective due to a console not requiring knowledge of anything more than slamming a controller with your face and plugging a few wires in, and thus making it more appealing for parents to buy for their kids, it just reinforces the "why should I buy PC games when they get shafted with console ports" behavior.

Also, I'm calling it right now: the reason you'll be able to share games on disc is because the majority of them will be on PSN only.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

PC will always be better. Sadly more expensive. Hell my graphics card alone was almost the price of (2) PS4. And I want to buy another one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:45 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
PC will always be better. Sadly more expensive. Hell my graphics card alone was almost the price of (2) PS4. And I want to buy another one.

You pay to play that's a motto to live by as long as you have a decent job you will be ok lol.

On a side note FFXV looks good I am just worried that it's all real time event like press this button before time runs out not really challenging..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 am 
Spammer, to the max!

I do have to admit that this was funny:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

.....wow lol. I wonder if that video will actually get pulled.

I did a presentation on the xbox one DRM in a class last night. Pretty sure I convinced everybody not to ever purchase one. Their eyes all lit up (like I was joking) when I explained the xbox one game licensing terms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

lol what kind of class was that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I'm taking programming classes to finish up a software engineering degree. We have a lot of tech talk, and the subject matter is fun stuff like this lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Fattino wrote:
I've never been so excited about the "console wars" because this is the first time i've ever seen a unanimously declared victor.

PS4 is 100 dollars less, has FF15 and KH3 as exclusives, is significantly more powerful, and doesn't have a 1984 style camera/microphone required to monitor your living room 24/7. Also no mandatory internet connection.

And they said a lot of xbox ones "exclusive" games will also be coming to PC.

KH FB page said it was coming to xbone. I really hope there was a mistake somewhere.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 am 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

It's not. Basically all the games coming out are multiplatform. FF15 and KH3 included. I actually see this as a bonus case for PS4 though. If you see a game that interested you on XBoned, there's an extremely high probability it will be for sale on PS4 as well, giving even less a reason to own XB1.

Some of the titles announced this year for the next gen systems are even going to be for sale on ps2. Yes 2.

Post subject: Re: E3 2013 Schedule!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

FIFA shouldn't count at this point, and if we're going there someone released a SNES game this year.

Ponuh wrote:
i love how half of this thread is about racism in america and the other half is pictures of kittens

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion