It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: My favorite PS1 games, in pictures
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Not in any order:

I know there were some big ones I never played. What were your favorites?

Post subject: Re: My favorite PS1 games, in pictures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:07 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Metal Gear Solid love it this scene as a kid scared the shit out of me FYI.

Mega Man Legends love this game but this fight was bullshit it was hard to beat as a kid.

Soul Blade and now known as Soul Caliber was my first 3D fighting game and I loved it!

Megaman X4 great game but again hard as a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:11 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Also this forgot about this little gem:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Some of these images are blocked for me, most likely do the my work's proxy.

But I did actually get to play a modest amount of PSX before I sort of converted from consoles to the computer.

My list...

FF7: First FF on the PSX. Decent game. I played through it a few times, but I only beat it once. Got so discouraged by Midgard, but I was so happy the first time I stepped out onto the overworld.

FF Tactics: I think I logged the most hours on my PSX with this game. Beautiful game. I really wished the GBA/DS versions were more like the original. Absolutely loved this game.

Tales of Destiny: Pretty interesting game. I liked the music, I liked the game play, I liked the environment. I think I only completely beat it once, but it was pretty fun.

There are a few RPGs I only beat once. Some took more convincing to beat than others. I'd like to replay them all someday, if anything just to refresh myself on the storyline. (FF8, FF9, Lunar: SSSC)

Right around the FF8/FF9 time frame, I really just started playing my computer more. Other RPGs I had for it and never completed were Kartia, Star Ocean: The Second Story. I feel pretty bad about never completing Star Ocean. That seemed liked a pretty legit game, but every time I'd get into it, I'd get distracted bys omething else.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of my collection, but those are the ones that stand out. Obviously they are all RPGs. The only non-RPG I had was Dance Dance Revolution. And that was a fun game, too :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:21 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

These lists do not contain Crash Team Racing.

Naughty Dog: Before Uncharted, before The Last of Us, there was this.

I am disappoint.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

I loathed that level of Tomb Raider. I don't remember exactly why, I just remember getting angry as hell and smoking a lot of cigarettes because of it. I finally beat that game, then promptly never played another Tomb Raider ever again.

FF7 and Tactics. Those consumed my time on the PS1, more than almost anything else.

After that, they did re-release of almost all of the FF games, and Chrono Trigger.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:09 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

Whisp obviously a poser. Using a WotL picture for FFT. J/k wotL is actually a very good version of one of the all time classics (only real problem is the spell lag which you can get a fan patch for if you got a homebrewed capable psp)

Still in my mind you can't talk about ps1 classic without talking about Xenogears which is definitely in my top 5 RPGs of all time(FF6, Phantasy Star 4, FFT, Chrono trigger being the rest of the top 5 in no particular order). It has its flaws but i feel it aged better than a lot of other ps1 games ( like FF7 or vagrant story). And lets be real how many 40-70 hours games have been so good that you've played through them 3+ times? For me anyway if they aren't in my top 5 I can't think of any =P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:16 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I do think I missed out by not playing Xenogears. I've always heard nothing but good things about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

ha, oops...you're right that is fft war of the lions. thats actually the game i'm currently playing on my iPhone but i haven't unlocked dark knight yet.

i like killing all monsters except one, and then Repose the last one and just skill up for half an hour by having my party smack each other a bunch and then use subjob monk chakra to cure it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:02 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

My plan of attack was to play on that first field, where it was basically just imps.

Everyone either subbed Knight, or Monk, I believe. I'd get down to one imp, and spreed/power break him down to nothing. Then I'd powerbreak my guys down to 1, except like one person with monk abilties. Then I'd spend however long it took (usually an hour, or so) having everyone just attack eachother.

4 Would form a + sign around the imp. And the extra unit(s) would attack the backs of my other dudes. And then the monk guy would go around and Chakra for their exp. Ramsa would usually yell at whoever was getting AP on a job that took longer than the rest.

I'd leave the fight when everyone had 9999 JP, or enough to unlock all their job's abilities. Rince and repeat. I used to do this while exercising on my bike. My goal was to have every ability unlocked on all the unique characters.

I was even going to have Malak and his sister be useful!

I got pretty far into it. Maxed out the big chars. Ramsa, TG Cid, Agrias, Beowulf. I finished the 2nd string characters, too. Got down to the bottom rung unique chars by the time I found FF11. The rest is history.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 pm 
DL Hughley

Cruxis wrote:

I've never heard anybody mention this game or met anybody who owned it aside from me, I still have it. That 1997-2000 window in which square took some chances worked out pretty well for the people who found them. Einhander, Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, Front Mission, etc.

I had more games for PS1 than any other system. Suikoden, Wild Arms, Resident Evil, Castlevania: Symphony, Ridge Racer 4, Tekken 3, Silent Hill, Street Fighter Alpha, Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain, Monster Rancher, Legend of Legaia, the Final Fantasy explosion, I could go on all day about PS.

I have had Xenogears for yeeeeears and still haven't played it. I bought FF Tactics used for $11 on the last day gamestop was carrying PS1 games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Quote:
I've never heard anybody mention this game or met anybody who owned it aside from me

Yeah your the only other person that even knows about this game lol funny how that works and yes! Brave Fencer Musashi was awesome! as well as parasite eve and Bushido blade. Ehrgeiz I played also it was so weird that cloud from FF7 was in that game, I always played as the cop with the yo-yo weapon that game was fun!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:34 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

IMO Einhander is probably the best non-RPG Squaresot made. And while its a pretty solid shooter overall its just a shooter so doesn't really distinguish itself from the R-types, Gradius, and Thunder/lightning Force games that came before it except for being 3-d.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

DeadLegend wrote:
Cruxis wrote:

I've never heard anybody mention this game or met anybody who owned it aside from me, I still have it. That 1997-2000 window in which square took some chances worked out pretty well for the people who found them. Einhander, Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, Front Mission, etc.

I had more games for PS1 than any other system. Suikoden, Wild Arms, Resident Evil, Castlevania: Symphony, Ridge Racer 4, Tekken 3, Silent Hill, Street Fighter Alpha, Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain, Monster Rancher, Legend of Legaia, the Final Fantasy explosion, I could go on all day about PS.

I have had Xenogears for yeeeeears and still haven't played it. I bought FF Tactics used for $11 on the last day gamestop was carrying PS1 games.

Awesome +2. I loved Einhander. I also never met anybody else that owned or played it. I basically bought anything branded Squaresoft. Another random game I really enjoyed was Legend of Mana.

I mostly played RPGs on PSX, mostly titles already mentioned. The only non RPG series that I played and loved was Crash Bandicoot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Too many to list, but here's a few.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Legend of Mana was/is a great game. Great music, great visuals.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion