It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: My favorite NES games, in pictures
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Not in any order:

Post subject: Re: My favorite NES games, in pictures
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 am 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Nice list but got to say the ninja turtle game was HARD how in the holy fuck did that guy get past that level underwater!? If you touched any of the algae you died..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:21 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Whisp, you liked the 2nd Zelda game? I tried to play that game on an emulator, and I couldn't really get into it, let alone playing it on the actual NES. haha.

My List:

Super Mario Bros.: I got the console because of this game. Come to think of it, I got my SNES and N64, because of the Mario games. Well played, Nintendo. That being said, I never beat it. Furthest I got on the actual console was 8-2 (I think) where there was this small gap followed by a huge gap. 1st Grade Ridere couldn't handle that.

Dragon Warrior I: First RPG I ever played. Didn't even know what RPGs were. It was just an interesting new take on a game. An older neighbor kid (I was in 2nd grade, he was in 5th oooooooh!) had it and let me play it. He traded me my Battletoads game for it later on (No regrets)

Marble Madness: Probably the only non-RPG I ever beat on the NES. I just didn't have the patience to go through non-saving games back in those days. I think my OCD developed later on in life.

Legend of Zelda I: How could I not include this one? I did beat it. Think I only found the red ring in the last dungeon once. I remember finding it funny how it made Link look like a devil, with his point red hat and clothes and such.

Final Fantasy I: I got this game after I got FF4 for the SNES. This was 7th grade. I still remember buying it and the Nintendo Power strategy guide from some dude at school for like 10 bucks. I wanted to see where it all started, since I was in love with FF4 by then.

Other games I had but never beat: Tetris (Can you beat this? was fun, though), Super Mario II and III (I may play these on emulators soon, just so I can say I beat them. Save State the game after each level, or something). That may be it. My NES collection was not terribly large.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:30 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Whisp wrote:

^ DuckTales is getting a remake.

Anyhow, never owned an NES, lot of these games are really hard to go back and play without any nostalgia. Especially when most of these games now have some kind of newer version of some description, usually GBA or something. Hell Nintendo even ported the first 3 Mario games to the SNES and threw them in the box.

I'd personally never recommend somebody play the original Metroid if they've never played it before. Zero Mission, the GBA remake, on the other hand is pretty damn good.

I'd think differently if I ever owned a NES I guess, but it was pretty rare around here. I didn't know any kid who even owned one. It was Sega-territory around here.

That said, a lot of these games also have vastly superior arcade versions that I play on my cabinet, good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:37 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Hey, Ket.

How did you get into RPGs without a (S)NES? Though as I type this, I guess you sort of explained it with the whole FF7 thing in that remake thread. Sega certainly seemed starved for RPGs. I had Shining Force I/II, which were awesome. I loved those games. Worth having the Genesis just for those two. I also had Wonderboy in Monster World. haha. An interesting game in its own right, but not sure if it's a true RPG.

I knew about the Phantasy Star games, but I never really got into them. I did play Phantasy Star IV some, but I'll be damned if I remember exactly how. I think maybe... maybe... I borrowed it from my buddy in high school. Though I don't know if he even had a Genesis. hah. Maybe he got one later on.

Dark Wizard for the Sega CD was a pretty tough/awesome version of a Shining Force/FF Tactics type game, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:37 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

Two games that withstood the test of time and are still super fun i think are punchout and river city ransom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:59 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Ridere wrote:
Hey, Ket.

How did you get into RPGs without a (S)NES? Though as I type this, I guess you sort of explained it with the whole FF7 thing in that remake thread.

Yeah, it was FF7. I'm pretty certain I really hadn't played one before that. Even if the Genesis did have things like Phantasy Star, I never owned any of those games.

It's not like we had the Internet to teach us these games existed, my family were heavily against buying magazines (because "once you've read them they're a waste"), and we never had anything like a Blockbuster membership to get a constant stream of games with.

My actual library of owned games back then was pretty small. We were a pretty low-income family, so buying me video games was pretty low on the ladder. Throughout my whole childhood I usually got one game for my birthday and one for Christmas each year, that's it. I owned very few of my own and I occasionally borrowed one from a cousin of mine. Lets see...

Sonic 2
Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles (never had both at the same time to lock it on, sadly)
Earthworm Jim
Mortal Kombat
Rocket Knight Adventures
Super Skidmarks (despite the silly name, this was a pretty neat isometric style micro machines game)

Hmm, yup, that's about it I think, before eventually getting a Saturn (remember, Sega-country). And I probably only ever owned like 4 games for the Saturn too.

I have however, played WAY more games than that. It's just that I did most of them via emulator many years later. Got access to the Internet around 1996-1997, and I discovered that it was possible to get all these games I missed basically for free. Even on a 56k modem, your average SNES/Genesis game was probably only 1-2MB. So I've played and probably beaten basically every SNES/Genesis game worth playing, I was just really late to the party.

NES on the other hand I couldn't get into, I was just too late for that party. I've played the obvious classics, but not more than a few minutes of anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:04 am 
Youre a Crappy HNM like Roc or something

Whisp wrote:
Two games that withstood the test of time and are still super fun i think are punchout and river city ransom

Tetris. Tetris for days and weeks and years on end. I still play tetris, I have it on my phone, tablet, SNES...everywhere. I love Tetris.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am 
Onionhead
Onionhead

I think of Tetris as a gameboy game. But yea it was pretty addicting. I haven't found a good iPhone port of it yet though, probably because you need ultra responsive controls in the later levels. I'd do a gameboy thread but I really only ever played
Tetris, A Boy and his Blob, the Mario Land games, and the Zelda one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am 

Tecmo Bowl, Tetris and Missile Command for Game Boy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

I dont remember beating the tmnt game, i remeber hating those underwater levels thou. i played alot of super mario bros and zelda, then i moved on to genesis lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 pm 
DL Hughley

I've had my original copy of Zelda for 25 years. It took me 8 years to beat it the first time, I can do it in 60-90 minutes now, over and over again all day. I'm one of the creeps who loves Zelda 2 as well, it's probably the hardest game in the series and one of the darker ones. In order to revive him, Ganon's minions seek to kill Link and sprinkle his blood on Ganon's ashes. Crazy.

I agree with Ket in that I'm not a huge fan of the original Metroid but I liked Zero Mission (and Fusion on that subject). I still love Metroid 2, the gameboy exclusive that never got a remake. Talking about a full size Metroid world with no map where everything is one of 3 shades of gray. It was like putting together a blank jigsaw puzzle.

Mario 2 was plain old crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 am 
Even Match
Even Match

Rygar :dbanana:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:05 pm 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

Ha, Little Nemo was one of those games I remember being desperate to get as a kid and when I finally got it, it kicked my ass every chance it got. That and Dino Riki.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

So many old games here. Rygar....I loved that game. Also Little Nemo!

DeadLegend wrote:
I'm one of the creeps who loves Zelda 2 as well, it's probably the hardest game in the series

I played most of the way through Zelda 2 so many times as a kid. I loved it, but it was SO HARD. I was able to get to the final palace a few times, but I only made it to dark link once. Imagine the frustration when he killed me and I had to start all over. You can continue from the last palace, but it's hard to farm the magic and life to replenish yourself to full.

I strongly believe that is the hardest game in the series. Expecially the last level. It's a maze packed with insanely hard enemies, invisible floor panels that drop you to your death, and a miniboss that requires all of your resources to kill, leaving you virtually empty for dark link. The ninja chickens in the last level are the worst. Expecially the blue ones. I had nightmares about those.

I played through again when I was older, and I was able to finally beat it. I've never felt better about finishing any other game in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
DL Hughley

Kluya wrote:
I've never felt better about finishing any other game in my life.

That pretty much sums it up. I had actually forgotten about that sub boss in the final dungeon. eesh

Westward from the last village might be the most dreadful point of no return in videogame history. haha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:02 pm 
Onionhead
Onionhead

If all else fails, use fire!

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion