It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Vita TV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

A new super cheap version of the PS Vita, with no screen. Why no screen? Because it plugs into a TV and plays like a console instead, using a Dualshock.

It can do anything the PS Vita itself can, which is quite a lot actually. And importantly, you can use it to Remote Play a PS4. This means you can use it to play your PS4 in any room of your house (or somebody else's over the internet, actually) by carrying the little tiny thing around; just a HDMI port.

Sounds crazy, but at only $100, that's quite an interesting idea.

Quote:
Play VITA games at home on your TV!

- Plays PSP, Vita and PS1 games
- Has all the VITA apps for movies, HULU, Netflix etc
- Runs VITA OS
- 9450 yen / 100 USD
- Can Remote Play PS4 to another TV if the one the PS4 is connected to is being used.
- Launch in japan on Nov 14
- 6cm x 10cm console

It's sort of like a hyper-powered "Ouya", except it actually has games. Don't forget that recently Vita has become home to a ton of indie-like titles due to Sony's new relaxed indie relationships. You're talking about a $100 console box capable of playing a growing library of titles and indies like Hotline Miami, Limbo, Minecraft, Terraria, etc. Then throw on the actual Sony first party and third party support, and remove all the android shovelware trash. It's got quite some potential.

Post subject: Re: Vita TV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 am 
The Original Dark Knight™
The Original Dark Knight™

That sort of blows my mind. The Vita is the most underrated console on the market right now with a HUGE library of games thanks to the PSN. That's a great idea, way better than a 2DS wedge thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:05 am 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I agree. i would have prefered a long cable/wireless dongle thing to make a current vita display on the tv, so you could be portable but have the big screen when you wanted, but this is actually not too bad. The only thing that worries me is that anything that uses vita's touchscreen is going to be awkward as fuck with a dualshock.
otherwise Vita has several games that people with psn+ accounts got for free that are actually quite good and for 100 bucks they might be tempted to actually try them out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Great idea, I don't totally understand the remote play thing (So I have PS4 upstairs and I can remote play on my TV in the basement?), but it sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I don't think people understand how awesome the PSVita is due to the huge library of games on PSN. Its awesome.

Still, as a PS Vita owner I will say that Memory card prices are bullshit and the stupid touch pad on the back is a pain in the ass to actually use. The fact that the L2 and R2 buttons are missing is a HUGE issue for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 pm 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Vita is awesome if you have PS+, get tons of free games on it lol.

And yeah Remote Play lets you play on your PS4 in another room of your house on another TV, or on a handheld (like the Vita), or even across the internet at another person's house. That's how Remote Play already works with the PS3, but the PS3 can only Remote Play certain games due to the extra processing and bandwidth it requires; the PS4 can Remote Play at the OS-level using a dedicated hardware chip and works with all games (minus the few that require stuff like the PSEye camera, etc). They've said FF14 works too.

As for memory card prices, I believe they announced a price cut for those at E3? I forget.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:14 pm 
Star-Spangled Subligar
Star-Spangled Subligar

Yeah they did Ket, a system and memory price drop. I've seen all the retailers around here drop the Vita price, but that 32gig card is still $99.99 CND. The price drop was suppose to bring it down to 80.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:45 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

memory cars are still expensive. I like the idea of being able to leave the ps4 downstairs and have a vita box in the upstairs tv be able to log in and play ffxiv.

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion