It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am View unanswered posts | View active topics |

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion

Post subject: Smash Bros. 3DS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:56 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Anyone playing this?

My 3DS screen broke (somehow) on the day before it came out so I had to order a new one, sucked. Got an XL instead and it's a heck of a lot easier to see what's going on.

Also I was pretty glad that it's possible to turn down/off that horrible character outline the 3DS version of Smash Bros has. I know that opinion conflicts to the one I just made about the regular 3DS screen being too small to see stuff, but that outline is just so ugly. That said, it wasn't easy to find this option (or know it existed), as the menu on this game feels like a massive jumbled mess.

I kinda miss Brawl's "Story" mode, Subspace Emissary, I liked it even if many people didn't. "Smash Run" is kind of a poor replacement for it. The whole customizable stats thing just doesn't feel like it matters as much as it should, and the several minutes of Smash Run ending with just a plain old 4 way match that's over in 30 seconds with little to no fan faire just feels anti-climatic.

Actually, we're missing a lot of stuff. I'm sad that we've lost the co-op Multi-man Smash and Home Run modes. The challenges being reduced from 128 to 35 is bah. The collectible stickers are gone, the boss battles are gone (along with Subspace), the Events (missions) are gone, the tournament mode is gone, target smash is gone (replaced with an Angry Birds ripoff which just plays like Home Run contest anyway). The stage selection seems really small and I haven't unlocked many/any? The level editor is gone too but most of those kinda sucked anyway. All in all, the game just feels really stripped down compared to Brawl. And while this could be attributed to it being a handheld version of the game, the Wii U version is only a month or two behind, and I doubt all this stuff is gonna suddenly appear by then.

That's not to say nothing was improved. Classic mode is really good now with its multiple paths and gambling style difficulty system. They finally stopped Multi-Man Smash from spawning bombs on top of you and insta-KOing you (items now spawn on special platforms out of the way). And from what I can see so far the online mode runs pretty well, and I need to steer away from the online gambling spectator mode due to possibly being too addicting.

All that said, don't let it put you off, because the core game's as good as ever. It's a portable version of Smash Bros, through and through.

P.S. They changed Sonic's "You're too slow!" taunt which makes me super sad.

Rocking Lucina right now. Kinda like Robin but his book charging really slows him(/her?) down. Couldn't get the hang of Palutena. Sonic's as near-uncontrollable (yet fun) as ever. Megaman's pretty fun, especially since his basic attack is his gun instead of punching/swords. Used to play as Luigi a lot, only tried him a few times so far. Still haven't gotten around to trying most of the roster. That's another reason I miss Subspace Emissary, it got you playing as mostly everyone.

Post subject: Re: Smash Bros. 3DS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

I haven't purchased this yet, but I am one of the rare launch 3DS owners like yourself with all the free games. Were you able to transfer all your purchases to the XL easily? I am considering the upgrade after seeing Spyder's XL...the regular 3DS is just too small.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:41 am 
Crumpet
Crumpet

Kluya wrote:
I haven't purchased this yet, but I am one of the rare launch 3DS owners like yourself with all the free games. Were you able to transfer all your purchases to the XL easily? I am considering the upgrade after seeing Spyder's XL...the regular 3DS is just too small.

Transfer is super duper easy:

1) Upgrade firmware on both 3DS to the latest.
2) System Settings > System Transfer on both 3DS, choose "Source" and "Destination" 3DS.
3) Hit Next/OK/etc a whole bunch of times.
4) Wait like 30-60 minutes. Pikmin will carry stuff between the 3DSes if you want to sit and watch.
5) New 3DS is now exactly the same as your old 3DS. The old 3DS is automatically wiped/factory reset.
6) Remove the SD card from the old 3DS and put it in the new 3DS and all your saved games/downloaded games/etc will reappear.

All the "ambassador" stuff from a launch 3DS will transfer with no problem and no need to re-download any of it.

The new 3DS is completely wiped and replaced with anything from the old 3DS, but any "licences" on the new 3DS will be merged. If your new 3DS came with a game pre-installed on it, that game will be gone, but it will have been merged into your eShop account, so if you go onto the eShop it'll let you redownload it for free.

Don't forget that Nintendo are releasing a new model 3DS within the next 6 months or so, so it might be worth waiting. I only rushed to do mine because my old one broke and I couldn't be without a 3DS for 6 months.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:11 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

This is good info, because Kitty, Fado and I are all kind of interested in getting the new 3ds models once they let you swap covers, or wahtever. haha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:59 pm 
Meat Miq'abob
Meat Miq'abob

so gonna get that isabelle cover.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:20 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

I picked up smash but my circle pad sticks to the down left, so its very bad for playing Smash. I will also be picking up a new 3ds Xl when they release in america since they've already announced 3 games that I'm interested int hat more or less require it... the fiddly circle pad issues on my current 3ds basically just cement the purchase

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:44 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Cool thanks Ket!!! Great info!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm 
Honey Muffin
Honey Muffin

kinda sad the face plates are not for the xl version. i like the size of the xl but i really like the face plates too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:28 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Yah, kitty mentioned that yesterday. WTF is up with that. I'm not sure I want a tiny DS. I mean, I could get away with it. I'm not sure the PS Vita vs the 3DS XL screensize, but I used both just fine.

I dunno. Maybe I'd be okay with a smaller 3ds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 pm 
Devourer of Souls~
Devourer of Souls~

my roommate has purchased stickers for this 3ds that look quite good and are cheaper than faceplates and such. Stuff like Triforce designs or Lucario etc. Certainly an option if you want to spice up your 3ds xl.

They seem pretty durable too but eventually he bought a clear hardshell to go over the 3ds anyway so not 100% on their durability.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:59 pm 
Easy Prey
Easy Prey

Looks like I'll finally upgrade from my black Zelda 3DS lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 pm 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Just got a super smash brothers themed XL as a gift. It's so much bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 am 
Posts way too much
Posts way too much

Kluya wrote:
Just got a super smash brothers themed XL as a gift. It's so much bigger.

That's what she said :smug:

Board index » General Gaming » Gaming Discussion